SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Why Why Why do people not move down in trains?
roz

10-12-2007 06:25 PM

We've had this before. I am still keen to know more about the disproportional interest in satellite telly amongst Indy and Guardian readers. I had thought the Indy had bitten the dust, this is a revelation in itself...

I would also argue that the bits about ' few very young children' and 'few couples with children 'is now incorrect. According to our local health visitor, there has been a bit of a baby boom in se23, with record numbers being born last spring and summer. The demand for childminders and preschool nurseries has soared with new ones being opened in the locality. Also I suspect that migration from other expensive parts of Sarf London such as East Dulwich and Herne Hill has brought us a lot of young preschoolers. The demographics seem to have changed over the last two years.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

10-12-2007 06:28 PM

Anyway following on from the demographics, the answer to the question 'why people do not move down in trains' is simple.

We're just all too posh to push.

Roz, making the most of the English language. Why use one word when ten will do....

shzl400

10-12-2007 08:01 PM

roz wrote:
According to our local health visitor, there has been a bit of a baby boom in se23, with record numbers being born last spring and summer. The demand for childminders and preschool nurseries has soared with new ones being opened in the locality.

Funny, that's exactly what my HV said nearly 8 years ago!

Londondrz

12-12-2007 09:48 AM

I had the misfortune of taking the train this morning. I do forget sometimes that whilst the journey time from FH to LB is not long it is an unpleasant experience. Whoever is thinking of reducing the number of trains really does need to catch one any week day morning and then tell me they are not overcrowded.

I am also amazed at the desperation of some people to get on the train, if it's full, it's full!!

Had a very unpleasant lady try to shove her way on at Brockley and in doing so she managed to crush a very petite lady. When asked to stop she basically said "I don?t care, I am getting on". NiceCursing

honoracorn

12-12-2007 10:46 AM

I do feel sorry for people getting on at Brockley though, HOP is the last station where you can just about get on the train without too much physical force. I wouldn't recommend anyone move to Brockley if they have to get a rush hour train in the morning. It reminds of the daily lottery I used to face at Queenstown Road Station in Battersea.

There's also a simple solution to getting more people on the trains. If everyone standing in the aisles faced forwards instead of sideways looking out of the windows, more people would be able to get on. My own personal gripe is the people who sit on the aisle and window seats of a three seater and make no effort to use the seat in the middle or remove their fat elbows to give someone the space between them.

L'enfer, c'est les autres.

honoracorn

12-12-2007 10:52 AM

Also, we have but a few more weeks before the East London Line closes, meaning that anyone who normally gets off at New Cross Gate to change will now be staying on all the way to London Bridge, with more passengers joining at NXG too. In the evenings, the trains out of London Bridge in the evening will be carrying all these additional passengers too.

Happy days!Wow

Londondrz

12-12-2007 10:55 AM

honoracorn wrote:
Also, we have but a few more weeks before the East London Line closes, meaning that anyone who normally gets off at New Cross Gate to change will now be staying on all the way to London Bridge, with more passengers joining at NXG too. In the evenings, the trains out of London Bridge in the evening will be carrying all these additional passengers too.

Happy days!Wow

I like my motorcycle more each dayRofl

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields