SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
SE23 Forum alive and well!
michael

04-08-2014 03:39 PM

baboonery wrote:
Debate.

Yes. That's what I was hoping to provoke.
I'm sure AMFM is right, that most people have busy jobs that prevent them prattling about online all day.
I also suspect that every forum needs a few trolls to provoke debate, although I'm sure we are best not wasting our time.

Find all posts by this user
Baboonery

04-08-2014 03:45 PM

Nobody needs trolls. But a forum needs debate among those of differing views, within reason.

OakR

04-08-2014 07:04 PM

I find the 2 sections other than the main SE23 one, which most people go to, are under utilised.

I think a home page of some sort would be good where you could see all posts would be good (but leave the sections if you just want to delve into those).

On a lot of forums you get more interaction and talk about completely random topics, but that is not possible here really.

I also think anything related to SE23 should be in the SE23 bit, I find some stuff gets moved to the second section (wider topics) which must get comparatively few views, and certainly gets less responses. I'd just merge those two personally. The 3rd option seems to get no responses to anything, though I imagine there is some stuff done via PM. I've certainly received a fantastic swing / slide set off there for free (if you are reading this Bells thanks again, the kids love it).

You could also say that maybe most people in SE23 are generally happy with the areas they live in, less to complain about, lots of positive threads. Who knows.

Ultimately though it's easy to sit on the sides with suggestions / criticisms from the likes of me who don't run forums, but I'm genuinely grateful to whoever runs this forum as it has provided me, and many others, with a wealth of information since moving to the area (and to my fellow posters).

ringingcod

05-08-2014 08:54 AM

There is also the question of how you define an SE23 issue. The Lewisham hospital thread, for example, was moved into the twilight zone of wider topics when it most definitely affected SE23.

michael

05-08-2014 09:08 AM

I don't care whether something is in one area or another, I only ever look at http://www.se23.com/forum/search.php?action=getnew
which provides the latest postings from all sub-forums. Some of the longest threads (including Lewisham A&E have occurred in Wider Topics).

Perhaps we just need more people to post about subjects that interest them. Unfortunately I'm so narrow minded I rarely think about anything beyond SE23.

Mr_Numbers

05-08-2014 09:35 AM

OakR said:

Quote:
The 3rd option seems to get no responses to anything, though I imagine there is some stuff done via PM.

I'm not entirely sure why but the 'Wanted' section doesn't accept replies, only PMs. I've used it a few times and have always received a helpful reply from someone within a day or three.

I admit I (and probably others) should have a look at this section more often as there's quite often something that I can provide help with (eg, window cleaner contact, etc).

OakR

05-08-2014 09:53 AM

Michael, thanks I did not know you could do that. Therein, perhaps, lies the issue though. I think you need an option on the first screen you get to which says home, show all posts or just defaults to it.

Mr Numbers, thanks but are you sure? - I thought I'd seen some responses in there, maybe they were from before they got moved though...

Mr_Numbers

05-08-2014 10:00 AM

Quote:
Mr Numbers, thanks but are you sure? - I thought I'd seen some responses in there, maybe they were from before they got moved though

Have a look at the section. There may have been replies posted there in the past but now there are none at all and it isn't actually possible to 'reply' (I tried to reply to a guttering query a minute ago) - you have to PM.

Again, I'm not sure why but probably so that, for example, cleaners' phone numbers or comments about a plumber don't get posted on a public forum.

By the way, I noticed a second ago that most postings in the 'Wanted' section seem to have anywhere between about 100 and 400 views - which is pretty good, I'd say!

This post was last modified: 05-08-2014 10:01 AM by Mr_Numbers.

michael

05-08-2014 10:06 AM

http://www.se23.com/forum/search.php?action=getnew does the same as 'View New Posts', which is available on almost all pages:

Personally I prefer a bookmark on that link so that I can quickly see the latest, and conveniently avoid pages of adverts in the main section.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Mr_Numbers

05-08-2014 10:08 AM

OakR, I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question correctly (coffee shortage at present) but in the top bar that runs across the SE23.com home page - below the photograph at the left-hand side just below where it says 'Welcome back, OakR' - you should see two links - View New Posts and View Today's Posts.

And beside the sections are blue dots that show you whether there are any new entries in each section since you last logged in. The same applies for each thread: there's a blue dot if there's a new entry since you last looked at the site.

EDIT: Michael beat me to it while I was typing Wink

This post was last modified: 05-08-2014 10:09 AM by Mr_Numbers.

OakR

05-08-2014 10:15 AM

Thanks Michael and Mr Numbers, believe it or not, I never noticed that.....Blink

My process tends to be to open the page by default on my browser on the SE23 section, see what's new and typically not look at the other two sections.

I still think a view all posts as opposed to new posts which merges all sections would be useful, but I'm probably just trying to save my blushes for not seeing what was right in front of me.....Unsure

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields