SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Home Accessories becomes Costa Coffee
nottinghillbilly

06-08-2018 08:42 PM

I noticed today that the yellow shop on London road is closing down in 2 weeks.
Sad news-this means 4 empty decent sized shops in a small stretch of retail.
meanwhile I hear of retail landlords doubling rents soon Lordship lane and henceforth pushing out smaller independent retailer.
independent retailers give an area its character, I feel our neighbourhood is dying Thumbdown

This post was last modified: 06-08-2018 08:43 PM by nottinghillbilly.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

06-08-2018 09:11 PM

All sounds very positive. Independent shops from Dulwich will be able to find good value shops avaiable in Forest Hill!

nottinghillbilly

07-08-2018 07:31 PM

dear Michael,
yes..that would be the ideal outcome wouldn't it!
and tbh thats what I'm hoping for but realistically I doubt that will be the case Angry

Westy1980

08-08-2018 11:59 AM

Apparently it's going to be a Costa. Details and plans here:
https://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-...CAPR_95793

Fish Face

10-08-2018 04:21 PM

A Costa? Wow - SE23 has finally made it!

oompaloompa

16-08-2018 02:51 PM

Costa? Can't think of anything worse. Overpriced and dreadful service company wide. We have enough drink outlets close to the station. The lady who runs the coffee hut outside the station is now going to have to share her limited trade. While the smaller outlets in the centre will not be able to sustain a business with reduced takings, Costa will have the backing of a bigger chain. 6 months down the line, guess who will be left standing?

humbolt

17-08-2018 02:20 PM

I'm not sure Costa can compete on cost and customer service with any of the existing coffee outlets clustered near the station. Whether it will become the next hang-out spot for the young and hip of the town remains to be seen. Judging by the size of the premises, Costa are gambling a lot on this outlet. Doubtless, trade will take a time to build-up. A lot will depend on the kind of welcome customers will receive when they enter. My take is, its better than yet another boarded-up shop in the centre of the town.

Fish Face

03-09-2018 04:09 PM

I don’t think that it’s over priced compare to local coffee.
The coffee in St David’s is great but it’s expensive!
I think a big Costa will attract a lot of work from home types, currently not very catered for in Forest Hill

Snazy

04-09-2018 02:04 PM

I'm looking forwards to having a Costa to be honest. Always liked their products, known quantity and all that.
Personally feel comfier in places like this, than independents to be honest.

samuelsen

04-09-2018 03:40 PM

think you meant quality not quantity?

Costa is likely to temporarily disrupt the local "coffee market" until customers have decided where their loyalties lie, independent or chain? Then we'll see which business survive. The independents may weather the storm but have to alter their offerings or add additional value to keep custom. Ultimately this is about customer choice and competition will decide who the long term winners and losers are.

Who would have thought that McDonalds in FH would cease to exist, or come to think about it Woolworths, and with Wetherspoons eventually shutting up shop, change is always around the corner.

The nature of business is that they come and go, or rather listen to what their customers want, adapt and survive.

michael

06-09-2018 07:59 AM

Planning permission has now been granted for the conversion to two units, allowing for the Coca Cola subsidiary (Costa) to open on London Road.

hillview

16-11-2018 11:52 AM

Costa Coffee is now open.

Snazy

11-12-2018 04:36 PM

Spoke with one of the baristas the other morning. By all accounts Costa is doing OK, but very clearly one of their quieter branches. She didn't seem to think that it would affect them staying open.
Thumbsup

BigED

12-12-2018 10:47 AM

It does look a bit quiet, but that may be when I am going past. Maybe the footfall isn't quite what they thought it would be.

Anyone know what is happening with the rest of the old Home Accessories shop?

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields