SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Price of Christmas Trees
baggydave

15-12-2008 09:22 PM

Last year we purchased a live tree by the outlet in Perry Vale (by the station). It cost something like ?15 and probably would have lived all year if we hadn't chucked it out. I can't remember whether I went in saying what do you have for ?15, or whether they were priced as such, but this year same size tree was quoted at ?40. Are they having a laff? Or are we too gullible. Any cheaper alternatives in SE23? And no debate about synthetic vs real please!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

16-12-2008 03:14 PM

I went into get one at the weekend although it wasnt the one in Forest Hill. We went out for the day and some how ended up getting lost around Deptford or somewhere, where we pulled up to enquire about the Christmas trees displayed outside.

It was quite clear that they just named any old price according to what they thought you would be prepared to pay. In short, if you're wearing smart clothes and remembered to shave on that day you're told ?40 or ?50 otherwise you may get it for cheaper. As we walked out the price magically came down to ?30.

I expect its the same everywhere.

alisa

16-12-2008 05:17 PM

On Saturday I noticed that every second shop in East Dulwich seemed to be selling trees outside. You would imagine that with this level of competition, prices would be competitive (though actually that seems unlikely if I think this through).
The Sainsbury's at Lower Sydenham had trees last week - a larger one is ?25 - they are probably 5 ft, not enormous. The Perry Hill pub (on Perry Hill...) also had them at the weekend - same price. I think smaller ones in both places were ?15, but could be wrong.
I got mine from the Perry Hill. It looks quite nice, though has dropped enough needles to give me a new green carpet in the lounge - still has plenty of green on it though (well it did last night). I think the guy outside the Perry Hill is doing free delivery, though I carried mine in the car, so not sure.

http://www.se23.blogspot.com/
dovetail

16-12-2008 09:01 PM

Bought a five foot Nordmann from Sainsburys homebase Bell Green for ?24.99 - Prices are definitely higher this year. You can get a tree for a tenner but it'll be a pile of needles by Boxing Day!

Perryman

17-12-2008 02:28 AM

trees are 1/2 price at the sainsbury's 'saver centre' now (?15).
They are not enormous plus you run the risk of running into Jamie Oliver.

Shannons (stansted road) have good looking trees at ?30 - free delivery, but that is a good ?5 more than last year.

brian

18-12-2008 06:58 PM

Apparently most of our Christmas Trees are imported from Denmark. Although not in the Euro the krone has gone up in value against GBP.
That explains part of the increase.
Get used to increases on imported products folks

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Christmas trees - recycling Scotslass 6 8,382 10-01-2013 01:38 PM
Last Post: rshdunlop
  Recycling Christmas Trees Baytree 0 2,980 24-01-2012 03:31 PM
Last Post: Baytree