SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Chandos Pub
Shiro

10-07-2016 02:33 PM

Can't say I was at the Chandos around Brexit but finding it hard to believe that any of the regulars would have done such a thing.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pippi

11-07-2016 02:14 PM

Re; 'blatant lies', 'no such thing happened', 'more fool you', etc, etc. Can the moderator please have a word with this poster? I'm genuinely gobsmacked.

The fact that some people feel so free to call people out as 'liars' on this forum is frankly despicable. It's one of the worst things anyone could ever call anyone, in my opinion. I feel massively angry, and disinclined to ever post again here.

You do realise that you could just respectfully disagree? All personal opinions on here are equally valid. I can only relay my own experiences, as truthfully and carefully as possible, as you can only relay yours. How dare you call me a liar?

For what it's worth I put off talking about the incident on the day of Brexit for precisely the reasons you've outlined. I didn't want to be seen as 'stirring', or to cause any further unnecessary anxiety about race relations in this country so soon after such a divisive and worrying event. It also took me some time to process it, as I was genuinely shocked. Incidentally I tried to catch up to the child to make sure he was okay but he broke into a run towards his friend/sister at the next bus stop. When this thread came up it seemed apt to mention it. I was obviously mistaken in believing that this is a public forum for people to talk about their neighbourhood experiences, both pro and con. God knows I've said plenty of SE23-positive stuff on here! Will think twice about bothering again.

11-07-2016 02:47 PM

Unfortunately this incident doesn't surprise me at all as this is a well known scum-bag pub. I don't understand why anyone thinks this kind of behaviour would be in any way acceptable. I have heard many stories over the years about this place. Anyone saying they are surprised by this either work there or are completely stupid and ignorant - probably both!

Honor Oak does need a decent pub that's with-in walking distance of the station so there would be lots of demand if this place could sort its self out and become a decent place to go for a drink. In the meantime Id advise people to stay well clear if they are new to the area until something positive happens here

OakR

11-07-2016 05:35 PM

Hi Pippi

Don't be put off by a poster, a first time poster at that. SE232008 states firstly it did not happen, and then if it did happen which is a contradiction in itself. They were inside, this happened outside. I really would not worry about this post.

I don't think most people will even question your story, I certainly don't. Some people just defend the indefensible, or as above say it could not have occurred despite any evidence to the contrary.

As for the pub itself, I've never been in and never had any issues walking past. My only interaction was a positive one when one of the guys outside gave my son a pound during Halloween last year.

I can see why some people feel intimidated by the pub, whether it's generally justified or not can't say, though I guess it's a moot point now anyway.

Anyway Pippi, stay on here, the silent majority want you to.

Chandosforlife

13-07-2016 05:24 PM

As a local chandos drinker I can say that some of the comments about it are laughable. I am 27 years old and have been drinking in the chandos since I was 18. In my time I have made some great friends. It is a friendly pub and very welcoming. In my time I have not seen any trouble. I have seen comments saying we need a proper pub in honor oak. Far as I'm aware chandos is the only proper pub left. A place where you can watch the sports and have a good pint at a reasonable price. A 'proper' pub is a place that serves alcohol not food, if you want food there are plenty of restaurants around to eat in. These comments about the pub will not drive chandos drinkers away. What is that supposed to mean? We are not good enough for you? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but because a lot of people that drink in there are builders, you seem to look down on us.. It's a disgrace I bet most people commenting have never been in the chandos. Before making any judgements why not go in there and see for yourself. I'm sorry but who is this pippa, why is she lying? If this so called incident happened. Why did she not report it to the police instead of commenting on the forum. Clearly made it up! On a brighter note the first day the new pub opens, all us chandos regulars that you seem to look down on, will be in there drinking. If we are really that bad you can go to the Brockley jack or the Honor oak! Look forward to seeing you all very soon!

HOPlocal

13-07-2016 06:16 PM

Wouldn't it be great if we could all go to this new pub and be nice to each other? The current regulars have an opportunity to show how welcoming they are, and the people looking forward to the new offering can demonstrate they do not look down on others (as chandosforlife believes). Surely we can manage that? personally I find the Blythe Hill Tavern is great because it focuses on quality beer and a welcoming friendly atmosphere. Seems to pull in all types of people enjoying some social time at their local. I would love that to be the case for the Chandos and its partly down to us as the local residents to make it happen!

OakR

13-07-2016 09:07 PM

Chandosforlife the fact that you've never seen trouble and Pippi has seen behaviour as she describes does not mean neither are correct - they can both be.

HOPLocal you have the most positive outlook in this thread!

fazmandcc

15-07-2016 10:05 PM

Another fight outside the pub last night. Lovely, involving a dog. Just another friendly Thursday night down the friendly local 'boozer' - just saying. Someone no doubt going to 'rose tint' this as a bit of fun! High spirits maybe.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields