SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »
Changes to Lewisham refuse collection services
samuelsen

26-04-2016 07:41 AM

The Council say "Waste compositional analysis is a representative sample (across Lewisham using an agreed methodology), of refuse and recycling bins. Households are informed and that the waste and recycling will be anonymous. The collected bins are then sorted out into the separate waste streams, which gives us an idea of the types of waste and recycling that households dispose of and which bins that they are disposing those items in."

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Devonish Forester

26-04-2016 08:06 AM

Quote:
Waste compositional analysis is a representative sample (across Lewisham using an agreed methodology)

It would be useful to know more about that:

How exactly is the compositional analysis carried out? What criteria is used? Is the work carried out by central government, an agency, or by individual boroughs/counties? If each borough does its own analysis how can we be sure that all boroughs use exactly the same methods? What is the agreed methodology? For what period is the research carried out, and is the analysis done for the same calendar weeks/months for every location? (could be important as some waste is seasonal). How is Lewisham's incinerated waste counted in the analysis?

lacb

26-04-2016 08:55 AM

Follow the link in my post up thread (10) for methodology used in comparative analysis by borough:
http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php...7#pid74387

The council may well have another method.

starman

20-05-2016 11:40 AM

I've just moved from Southwark where this system has been used successfully for years, but it does rely on everyone diligently sorting their rubbish. There was a period of transition when green (general waste) overflowed as some households did their bit. But the council along with Veolia proactively engaged with people and encouraged them to be more conscious of their waste.

Personally I prefer it to Lewisham's solution. And I was aghast there was no food waste collection. It pains me to have been putting this in with general waste.

Devonish Forester

31-05-2016 02:40 AM

lacb

Quote:
Follow the link in my post up thread (10) for methodology used in comparative analysis by borough:
http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php...7#pid74387

The council may well have another method.

Councillors do read SE23.com so it is disappointing that we have to speculate rather than having one of them state what is the case.

Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Voluntary Services Lewisham Christmas Appeal VoluntaryServicesLewisham 1 3,497 05-11-2015 08:42 PM
Last Post: P1971
  Refuse Collection Ooperlooper 15 13,232 14-03-2009 07:53 PM
Last Post: shzl400