SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Local wildlife
AMFM

02-02-2016 05:12 PM

I don't know what the kingfishers might eat but I have seen fish in the river (just tiddlers but tiddlers grow up if they don't get eaten!). Mind you , it's at least 3 or 4 years since I saw one along the Pool - (thanks for clarification Perryman, I always get confused about which bit is the Pool and which is the Ravensbourne).

That sighting was only the second time in my life (and I'm no spring chicken) that I'd seen a kingfisher - the first time was in Ireland when I was about 9 years old - that blue flash is so exciting to see. everytime I walk or cycle along the Pool I keep a hopeful eye out but I've never seen one again.

I've also seen herons along the Pool and Ravensbourne rivers so there must be something for them to eat and I know that a lot off effort has gone into cleaning up the river over the last number of years.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SeanThomas

02-02-2016 06:01 PM

Yeah I've seen Kingfishers fishing 4 or 5 times now down on the River Pool, but not so much at this time of year. Also seen a couple at Keston Ponds, which is an easier place to spot them due to the large open water expanses.

Saw a firecrest in Peckham Rye Park last weekend too, so that's a new one.

Pretty lucky to have all this on our doorstep.

lacb

02-02-2016 06:12 PM

Am pretty sure I have seen adult rudd in the Ravensbourne before, so that would keep the herons happy.

sunnycracker

03-02-2016 06:45 AM

Why would we include rats?

lacb

03-02-2016 08:42 AM

Quote:
Why would we include rats?

LOL, I know what you mean. I suppose having included town pigeons and grey squirrels it would be rude not to. Have even spotted the odd Homo Sapiens now and then too - they tend to hang out together.

This post was last modified: 03-02-2016 08:42 AM by lacb.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields