SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Possible door to door scammer in forest hill??
Lovelylouise

20-10-2015 07:42 AM

Hello,

Last night around 7.30 pm, a door salesman appeared at my property.
He was a young guy,who explained he was selling household goods as part of a youth offenders rehabilitation program. I felt sorry for him,especially when he explained that this was his work experience and he needed to do this in order to get a job reference etc. It was cold so I dealt with him in my doorway, after searching through his box of household cleaning products(mostly overpriced) I picked out a few items and paid him(more then I want to admit to,might I add).
He had a laminated I,d card and the items had stuck on Logo's for the scheme,so alarm bells did not immediately ring,nor did he come across as creepy.
However,when I told my partner about this,they were certain it was a scam and alerted me to the fact the guy was probably casing the area.
I usually follow my gut with people and this guy seemed safe enough,but I thought I should google it to see if anything came up,NOW I WISH I DIDNT,there's a lot of police alerts for these same scammers and also plenty of forums about other peoples bad experience with them.So now I'm a little worried, I mean I hope it's enough that I just paid the guy,but in hindsight he was stood in my home,which admittedly was foolish on my part.
So I was wondering if anybody else in forest hill had this experience this evening or whether it's necessary to alert the local authorities to their presence.I know he did not do anything personally to me, but what if it is a crime gang casing the area for vulnerable people?
Any ideas?

Update: I forwarded this onto the forest hill safer neighbourhood department, figured it's better to be safe then sorry.

Louise

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mr Robin Banks

20-10-2015 08:12 AM

What area of Forrest hill was this in?

Lovelylouise

20-10-2015 08:35 AM

Perry vale, forest hill

ForestHillier

20-10-2015 09:35 AM

Thanks for the update lovelylouise

rshdunlop

20-10-2015 11:34 AM

These scams having been running for years. I've had them calling at the door, usually around teatime, on and off for as long as I can remember. Not a legitimate scheme - why would any official programme have vulnerable people selling door-to-door, even as 'work experience'?

I've heard (can't remember where) that the young people doing the selling are often in hoc to the criminals running these scams and keep very little of the money themselves.

This post was last modified: 20-10-2015 11:35 AM by rshdunlop.

mrwandle

20-10-2015 11:47 AM

We might of had the same guy on Garthorne Road. However he was well over 30 so I doubt part of a young offender's programme.

ForestHillier

20-10-2015 12:30 PM

Yes we may have had them for years, yet the older people may get hood-winked,like my mother did a few years back, when 2 pieces of scum knocked and pretended there was water running down from her flat to the flat underneath - within 5 mins, they were away with all her money

CatfordBorders

20-10-2015 12:38 PM

Yes it's a scam, we have had them in the past and partner has bought some of their things (we didn't realise it was a scam at the time).

You've alerted the SNT which is the right thing to do, other than that keep an eye on any elderly or vulnerable neighbours you may know - we once intervened when we saw a scammer hassling an elderly neighbour.

Thanks for letting people know on here as well - we will be on the look out!

michael

21-10-2015 01:33 PM

PC Michael Hill, Forest Hill Safer Neighbourhoods Team wrote:
I would like to bring to you attention that Forest Hill has recently been subject to an increase in the number of reported burglaries affecting various areas within the ward. Now autumn and the winter months are drawing in, could I ask that you pay particular attention to your home security when going out. When leaving your home, ensure all locks are set and windows are closed and if you have an alarm, please set it. Do not leave valuables on view especially lap top computers or I-Pads.

We have also received some complaints from residents of individuals purporting to be from the Gas Board in efforts to access their homes.

Another complaint was of young people attending residential homes selling household goods at inflated prices as part of a youth offender’s rehabilitation program and needed to do this to obtain references for upcoming jobs. These people have produced laminated identity cards. I ask, should you have someone attend your home under similar circumstances, do not open the door unless you can verify their identity and make use of security chains if you have them fitted. Genuine people will happily wait for you to check their identities. Remember you can always call the police if someone attends your home unannounced in similar circumstances and we will attend and speak to these individuals.

Mr_Numbers

21-10-2015 05:24 PM

Quote:
Remember you can always call the police if someone attends your home unannounced in similar circumstances and we will attend and speak to these individuals.

Um, not trying to be cheeky, but can you really dial 999 because someone is trying to flog you some overpriced tea towels?

rshdunlop

21-10-2015 05:53 PM

No, but you can call 101 and let them know scammers are currently working your area. It's not about the overpriced tea towels but the criminals running the scams.

Mr_Numbers

22-10-2015 05:12 AM

Quote:
No, but you can call 101 and let them know scammers are currently working your area. It's not about the overpriced tea towels but the criminals running the scams.

Of course you're right, rshdunlop - but the point I'm taking a long time in making is, will the response time for a 101 call be quick enough for the police to actually speak to these people while they're still in the neighbourhood?

One good thing has come out of this - I couldn't even remember what the non-999 number is. Now I know (but how long till I forget again? Age is a terrible thing Sad )

BT

22-10-2015 06:35 AM

Had some similar people call on me here in Norwich recently. Two young men who said they were recently discharged from the Army and were taking part in a 'return to work' scheme. Unfortunately they were unable to tell me which regiment they were in.

I pointed out my 'No Cold Callers' sign and was treated to a torrent of swearing and abuse.

I've learned that a lot of these door knockers are signed up by people who tell them to ignore any 'No Cold Calling' sign and to say they didn't see it. As my sign is brightly coloured and right next to the doorbell I usually suggest that perhaps they need to visit Specsavers.

This post was last modified: 22-10-2015 06:36 AM by BT.

jaradras

22-10-2015 08:44 AM

The message from the Safer Neighbourhoods Team talks about identity card but from what I know you need to have a hawkers or pedlars licence & that is what you need to check. You need a pedlars licence to sell door to door without a stall or fixed location, these are issued by the Police. Some of them may be carrying a hawkers licence ( street trading licence) which may not be genuine. Hawkers licence issued by Council.

If they do not have the correct licence ,Police can seize goods and prosecute. Selling door to door without a licence is a criminal offence. If there are a group of these individuals in an area, the Police should be able to check out their credentials/licence & take necessary action?.

Mr_Numbers

22-10-2015 09:05 AM

Never knew there was such a thing as a pedlar's licence. Now we all know! Thanks, jaradras!

https://www.gov.uk/pedlars-certificate

However, before you go accosting pedlars for not having a licence, it's not immediately obvious that you need one in Lewisham - but I haven't conducted an exhaustive search.

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/bu...t.aspx?t=4

lacb

11-11-2015 02:33 PM

They were on Devonshire Road, HOP end about an hour ago. Have reported.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Make a Christmas Door Wreath at Adult Learning Lewisham AdultLearningLew 0 2,386 01-12-2021 10:34 AM
Last Post: AdultLearningLew
  Police warning re door to door sellers admin 0 3,094 11-12-2016 12:23 PM
Last Post: admin
  Door to door con man in HOP mrcee 2 5,192 16-01-2013 05:39 PM
Last Post: moth
  Loft Grant, person knocking door Fhill 2 4,906 21-12-2012 11:38 AM
Last Post: JRW
  People door knocking offering a roof survey dbboy 19 18,624 28-04-2011 11:17 AM
Last Post: spud
  Door to door "charity" collectors AudereEstFacere 0 3,078 29-06-2010 05:13 PM
Last Post: AudereEstFacere
  Door to door scammers lette 5 8,011 05-08-2008 04:35 PM
Last Post: Holly