SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Freecycle in SE23
admin
Administrator

14-10-2007 07:57 PM

Posts from old forum ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave
Joined 11-01-2007
Posted on Monday, 02 July, 2007 - 09:04 am:

Does anyone have any experience with using Freecycle? This is a service which, as I understand it, allows you to find a good home for things which you no longer need.

Tidying/clearing out the house over the weekend, we identified a number of things (like a manual/push-type lawnmower) that are no longer needed and which are too bulky/not really valuable enough to be worth selling on eBay.

I have had a look on the Freecycle website for a local group - http://freecycle.org/display.php?region=...r%20London - but the closest appears to be Greenwich.

Any info, guidance or feedback - good or bad - much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherwood
Joined 30-03-2005
Posted on Monday, 02 July, 2007 - 09:43 am:

I bought a secondhand lawnmower from my local secondhand shop. You could sell it to a secondhand shop for resale.

Blushingsnail
Joined 21-12-2005
Posted on Monday, 02 July, 2007 - 10:58 am:

There is a group for Lewisham: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lewishamfreecycle/

Applespider
Joined 26-02-2006
Posted on Monday, 02 July, 2007 - 11:01 am:

Yes, I've used it. There's a Lewisham one (under London originally) which has a lot of products from Forest Hill, Honor Oak and Sydenham. There's a fair volume of stuff going through it and a real mixture of items from genuinely useful and good quality to what looks like junk sometimes.

I set up a new email address for it so that it didn't get spammed and set it to 'digest' mode since I'm not that interested always in what's available.

I gave away an old computer which was cluttering up the house and wasn't really worth much given the hassle of trying to package it up. I had about 20 enquiries within a few hours and it was picked up 2 days later by a grateful new owner. I did weed through the enquiries and gave it to someone who works for a charity (legit given the email was for them) to try to avoid giving a way to someone looking to sell it on later.

Elizabeth25
Joined 04-03-2005
Posted on Monday, 02 July, 2007 - 01:05 pm:

I've had good experiences with freecycle as well. The only down side is the amount of email you will get. It is worth it setting up a separate email account or setting up a rule in your email application that dumps it all in one folder. Also, while there is some good stuff on there, there is also a lot of junk as well.

But I have a poor friend who outfitted his entire flat in freecycle furniture. It didn't all match, but it wasn't poor quaility either.

Jane2
Joined 24-01-2007
Posted on Monday, 02 July, 2007 - 01:53 pm:

I can also vouch for Lewisham freecycle. I wouldn't recommend getting all the emails individually, as there are too many. In fact I haven't signed up to get any of the emails, apart from admin ones, and I just check the site on a daily basis instead.

I've got rid of quite a few things that I'd have had to take to the tip otherwise (furniture, computers, magazines etc) because they aren't worth selling on. The hardest part is choosing who to give it to though! Everyone I've met seems really nice and really grateful.

I haven't managed to pick much stuff up yet - you have to be really quick to get the good stuff.

I bet the Council is pleased though - must reduce the amount of waste they have to process!!

Tomangel
Joined 21-06-2007
Posted on Monday, 16 July, 2007 - 05:01 pm:

Hi there, if you;re still looking for a home for the lawnmower, I'd happily take it off your hands. Cheers. Tom

Dave
Joined 11-01-2007
Posted on Monday, 16 July, 2007 - 05:31 pm:

Apathy has ruled (and I have been trying to work out what other things we might be able to freecycle). The upside of this is that the lawnmower is still awaiting a new home.

Let me have an email address and I'll be in touch.

Airguitarman
Joined 20-09-2007
Posted on Thursday, 20 September, 2007 - 04:37 pm:

I can vouch for the Lewisham Freecycle - I have both given and received. Saved me a few trips to the dump, but has allowed me to receive a nearly new Hoover and baby food.

And they say nothing in life is free....

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Scorpion

15-10-2007 01:56 PM

I also use Freecycle (Lewisham, Greenwich and a couple of other local Boroughs' groups - some people post their offers/wants to more than one group) - and would wholeheartedly recommend it for de-cluttering, helping reduce landfill etc. and also to find items you may need or want yourself.
It's definitely best to read the Postings on the web only, as you can get many e-mails a day from a group, but you can also select a daily digest, to receive one e-mail covering a few hours posting, which is fine.
I have used it a fair bit in past few months and will continue to do so (I'll be posting offers and wants soon in fact)

While on the subject - are there any plans to add an "Offered/Wanted/for Sale" etc. section (or even a "Recommended - offered/wanted") to SE23.com in the future? I just wondered, as some other Forums I have read, have similar, and it seems a good idea to offer/request things we no longer need/want,as well as recommendations in general, locally. (ie such as ballet classes, as information wanted on today) Just a thought.

One last thing - the new, improved Forum looks GREAT! The new features are good. TY again, Admin for your help with getting me re-registered lol (I have been offline from home for a fair while but have read the forum regularly over the past few months) and I look forward to participating once again.

Sue

admin
Administrator

15-10-2007 04:27 PM

Scorpion wrote:
While on the subject - are there any plans to add an "Offered/Wanted/for Sale" etc. section (or even a "Recommended - offered/wanted") to SE23.com in the future?

Private ads by SE23 residents are welcome here in SE23 Topics for now. If we ever get a great influx of private ads then a new section will be created.

Scorpion wrote:
One last thing - the new, improved Forum looks GREAT! The new features are good. TY again, Admin for your help with getting me re-registered lol (I have been offline from home for a fair while but have read the forum regularly over the past few months) and I look forward to participating once again.

Thanks - welcome back.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Freecycle/Bring & Take Day quetta 0 2,729 09-02-2013 12:20 PM
Last Post: quetta