SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Security of payment cards
Snazy

29-09-2008 08:39 AM

[Moved from SE23 Topics: Tesco, London Road]

Hmmm interesting about the cloning. Was it in the actual store that it was cloned?
Reason I ask is I had my card cloned over the weekend, and the last genuine transaction before the cloning was a Tesco Express in Penge.... If its being done in store, I understand it all now.

Look forward to hearing if this was done in store please Smile

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

29-09-2008 09:16 AM

Snazy
Did you hand them the card or did you put it in the machine yourself.

Very worrying if they can now clone without touching the card.

Snazy

29-09-2008 09:19 AM

Pretty sure it was in the machine, but I have heard that they can clone the chips now, which would explain it.

Noticed 6 transactions over the weekend in Fulham, while I was in Oxford... hmmm. Seems VUE and Tesco are 2 places that the cloned cards get used a lot.
Keep an eye on your statements for the above guys and girls.

brian

29-09-2008 11:35 AM

Thanks for that info Snazy.
I have been using cards less and less but assumed up to now that the PIN machines as long as only you hold the card was safe.

I am now drawing out cash from inside machines only and paying nearly all bills by cash. It is only going back 20 years or so.

Snazy

29-09-2008 12:06 PM

No worries mate, im still baffled and curious to know for definate WHERE exactly it was done. Im VERY careful with my card at cashpoints, so can only assume it was a chip and pin machine somewhere, which would suggest its someone working there.....

If thats the case, and I ever work it out, someone is getting a visit!

Sad state of affairs that its seemingly SO easy to do, and these gangs go to the same places day in day out to use these cards. Surely with the CCTV world we live in, and the cost the banks are footing for the fraud, some investigation can be done and a few brought to justice (and clean parks for 2 hours before being set free!!!)

brian

29-09-2008 01:54 PM

Snazy
Well said

Snazy

29-09-2008 02:39 PM

Cheers Smile

Just frustrating that all this money the banks pay out to cover fraud annually, that a private sector fraud investigation unit is not set up with the police to trawl CCTV etc and catch some of these people.

Its not like there are tens of thousands of them doing it (I hope not anyway) and just SOME pressure on the whole matter would stop others joining the race to defraud.

Im sure this could be controlled far better if there was interest..

Also another thing... for those who internet bank or access other sorts of accounts online, you will be familiar with only entering SOME of your PIN...... why cant chip and pin be done the same way, so even if seen in public, you would not be giving the whole pin away.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields