SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Where do you get married round here?
shimmysister

13-07-2015 05:38 PM

Where do you get married if you live in Honor Oak Park? I am totally clueless! I am thinking where is the nearest registry office but are there any other options ( cheap ones) We're not religious so it wouldn't be church.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robbrockley

13-07-2015 05:47 PM

There is a list of licensed civil wedding venues on Lewisham Council website - and I guess the same on Greenwich/Southwark/Wandsworth.

shimmysister

13-07-2015 06:22 PM

Great! Thankyou

Sherwood

13-07-2015 07:21 PM

I suppose the obvious answer is Lewisham Registry Office if you do not want a church wedding. I think it is in Lewisham High Street before you get to Ladywell from Catford opposite Lewisham Park.

Thorners

13-07-2015 08:24 PM

The Horniman is licensed for civil ceremonies, I think they do them in the conservatory which would be beautiful.

PVP

14-07-2015 07:29 AM

Enquired about the Horniman when looking at wedding venues last year. Bloody absurdly expensive and the catering was limited. But lovely conservatory.

Non-local tip - many of the restaurants in the City charge no fee for venue hire (so not £5k-15k down before got food/drinks/music), instead they have a reasonable minimum spend. Ended up choosing between the Samuel Pepys and Chiswell St Dining Rooms. They were by far the best value for money unless willing to do own catering.

rshdunlop

14-07-2015 08:11 AM

I've been to a wedding reception in the Horniman Conservatory. It was extraordinarily beautiful. Bride brought in her own caterers. The ceremony itself was held in the grounds of Dulwich College.

Duckling

14-07-2015 08:22 AM

It's also worth saying that you don't have to get married in the local registry office. Islington and Westminster for example both have lovely rooms which are cheaper than an approved premise cost. You then can get people to move themselves to a reception venue like a pub - my friend had hers at the Corney and barrow on paternoster square which was great for a canapés and cocktails end to an evening

Decker

14-07-2015 08:52 AM

As above. You can get married in any council. Eg: City of Westminster if you want a wedding in central London. They have a list of townhalls and nice period style buildings.

Horniman gardens is a premium venue. Costs a fortune and you have to pay for caterers to come in etc. As well as decorators the whole lot.

There was a wedding at Horniman featured in some magazine last year. Had fireworks and everything. They spent £20,000 on catering alone. I'm sure you can do it cheaper but that's the kind of people that have their wedding there.

Anotherjohn

14-07-2015 05:33 PM

My son's friends were married in a very nice service in Horniman's bandstand (as opposed to the more expensive conservatory) after which everyone strolled down the hill for an excellent reception at Canvas & Cream.

This post was last modified: 14-07-2015 05:34 PM by Anotherjohn.

showtunesgirl

17-07-2015 04:46 PM

We looked into getting married at the Horniman Conservatory but they were very restrictive in terms of what you could do. You could only have one of their approved caterers etc.

We went with the Pump House Art Gallery in the middle of Battersea Park in the end. Small, intimate and great fun.

dartmouth

17-07-2015 06:04 PM

I got married at Kettners in soho at the weekend. Very easy to arrange wedding in Westminster (only need to visit Lewisham to get license etc). No room hire at kettners either. Highly recommend it.

Mr_Numbers

20-07-2015 07:46 AM

Quote:
that's the kind of people that have their wedding there.

No, sorry, I don't think you can make that kind of generalisation. A friend of mine who is about as unpretentious as you can get - and by no means well paid - had his wedding at the Horniman conservatory. It was a very lovely venue.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields