SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (7): « First < Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] Last »
The Hob Closed
Pippi

02-11-2015 10:31 AM

We visited for the first time on the weekend. We left after five minutes because, being quite noise-sensitive and easily disorientated by loud clashing sounds and voices, I found the noise levels unbearable. The acoustics are just unbelievably bad - there must be something that can be done to a building to ease this problem?
However, everyone else looked to having a great time, and the atmosphere was definitely buzzing. It seems like a very family-friendly/child-friendly place. I think it's cool that there's such an increasing variety of places popping up in SE23, something for everybody Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CatfordBorders

02-11-2015 01:40 PM

I went last week, the upstairs "cocktail bar" is only open Thursday-Saturday, which I didn't realise and is a bit disappointing. No-one downstairs could do us cocktails - also a shame.

We had some small plates of food which were all very nice, though the wine list was expensive - could do with some more bottles under £20.

Staff very friendly indeed, which is a great plus point. They did say they welcomed children and families. Acoustics and noise levels were quite off-putting though - they need to open that upstairs space every night!

jdj

02-11-2015 02:19 PM

I've been twice now; to give it a fair chance, and I daren't say I'll be back soon.
It could be a very nice place but the main drink selection isn't very inspiring and the drinks cost double the amount of anywhere else in the local area, £5 (approx.) for a doom bar when its £3 or less everywhere else! Shame really.

On the staff note; they've been fine whenever I've been in, though they may be too leniant when it comes to serving incredibly drunk people, but if you're charging £5 for a doom bar, ethics probably aren't on your radar lol

squashst

02-11-2015 03:34 PM

Acoustics / noise are a problem in many pubs - I think the trend of bare wooden floors and tables, fewer partitions / "snugs" impacts this as noise just bounces off the surfaces. Go to the Honor Oak, St Germains Road and that is noisy to.

From the last post sounds that the problem drinkers from the Capitol have upped their game and migrated to the Signal.

Agree re the prices, when I went in there was a locally brewed lager and it was nice, but then it should for £5.60!

This post was last modified: 02-11-2015 03:36 PM by squashst.

nottinghillbilly

02-11-2015 08:28 PM

We went there the other Saturday with a friend.
I was really looking forward to going there following all the positive reviews,
And hadn't eaten so we were up for trying the food.
Sad to say we hated it.
It had no atmosphere, awful acoustics with really rubbish MUZAK being played over the pa.
TV in a prominent posistion in the sofa, fireplace area just felt a bit 'meh'.
Sad because we really wanted to like it, a couple at the next table to us was eating and the chips were those horrid skinny frozen type ones so we decided to leg it after one drink and went to the Perry Vale instead.
Wont go back, it felt really soulless and like the kind of pub you'd fine near an A road in Suburbia.
won't be returning.

Decker

27-11-2015 11:45 AM

I enjoyed it. Food is really good. I had a burger, friend had the chicken.

They do skin on thicker chips and I think the burger comes with skinnier chips which I really liked.

I think it's a really good addition to Forest Hill. The owners know exactly who they are catering to, which is why it is always very full. I can understand some people prefer a different style of food/pub. But we are lucky to have a wide selection.

Pages (7): « First < Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields