SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Bird identification
iwozere

24-04-2015 05:59 AM

Hi
Can anyone help - I live up the road from HOP station and during the last week sometimes in the morning, but usually in the early evening, I've been hearing a couple of very unusual bird calls (for me in this area). Has anyone else heard them and know which birds are involved? It's hard to describe exactly but one is a low ''inverse whistle'' - one or two; the other is very loud and a melodic caw in groups of five or six - just a couple of times.
Thanks.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sandy

24-04-2015 08:43 AM

Could be a green woodpecker. Identification of bird calls here:

http://www.british-birdsongs.uk/

Mr_Numbers

24-04-2015 09:29 AM

That's a fantastic website, Sandy! Thanks!

From what iwozere says, I wonder if the 'inverse whistle' is what we call 'the bicycle pump bird' - the great tit. http://www.british-birdsongs.uk/great-tit

Thorners

24-04-2015 09:42 AM

In the last few days we've had a couple of mistle thrush battling it out behind our place, they are very loud and melodic. Kind of like a blackbird but more powerful and with gaps between bursts like a robin. Not sure if that could be your second one? Not really a 'caw' though.

iwozere

24-04-2015 05:41 PM

thank you, what a lovely site. I am not 100% sure but the most curious one for me seems to be between chaffinch and greenfinch. Probably the former. You are right, not a caw at all. The inverse whistle one, am not sure now - need to hear it again.
Thank you all again.

rshdunlop

24-04-2015 06:18 PM

If you have a smart phone, you can get a bird ID app that records then analyses the sound.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bird identification pixysunflower 3 3,703 02-04-2019 06:37 PM
Last Post: Erekose