SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Barclays Bank Forest Hill
Sherwood

21-01-2015 02:58 PM

A notice in the Barclays Bank Forest Hill branch states that from 2 February 2015 the bank will be closed on Wednesdays in future.

Did they hold a consultation exercise with their customers?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

21-01-2015 04:19 PM

Come on, it's Barclays. They don't care.

robbrockley

21-01-2015 07:30 PM

And Crofton Park is reducing opening hours to 10-3 daily (well Mon-Fri). We just don't use bank branches as much these days so not surprising. Why would they consult and with whom? They are a business, we are customers. They don't have to consult us. And if they had I cannot think for one minute that it would have made any difference to the outcome.

ambient
No longer registered

22-01-2015 11:21 AM

In 5 to 10 years time, the bank branch as it is known today won't exist, and those that remain will be glorified coffee shops on high traffic streets full of tablets offering digital services. I'm not saying that that is right or wrong, and there are clearly people that it will seriously disadvantage, but it is nonetheless what will happen because it already is. These are just the first local examples of it.

billham

22-01-2015 11:41 AM

Banking has changed dramatically in the last 20 years. I can't remember the last time I was actually inside a bank, aside from one of those areas where there are lots of machines indoors which is not the same thing. Like many people, all my banking is done online, with 24/7 access giving me much more control than in the days when all you got was a monthly statement and a bundle of cancelled cheques!

Obviously, this does not suit everyone, perhaps particularly older people (though I am touching 60 myself!) and businesses with cash receipts to pay in. Nevertheless banks which fail to adapt to the modern market place are banks which will become less successful. As ambient says, there is no doubt that we will see fewer and fewer branches (at least in the conventional sense) on the high street over the next few years. Similarly, travel agencies are not long for this world - it is several years since I have visited one.

Sherwood

22-01-2015 01:38 PM

Another bank says:-
" We are open 7 days a week, 362 days a year. We are only closed on New Year's Day, ... Opening hours - All Stores. Monday - Friday: 8am - 8pm; Saturday: 8am........."

rbmartin

22-01-2015 03:56 PM

A massive shame. I tried to open a bank account at Barclays and had to go to East Dulwich instead who were very helpful.

However it's a rare branch of Barclays where you don't have massive queues (visit Catford, Lewisham or Sydenham at any time of the day) for the cashiers.

I mainly use online banking or the cashpoints these days as I rarely cash cheques which were my main reason for visiting the bank as BACS or Paypal is the way forward these days.

robbrockley

22-01-2015 09:51 PM

Catford Barclays now has no tellers - all automated. All desks gone - you use computers/tablets to pay in/check balances etc. This will be the way everywhere soon I suspect.

Londondrz

23-01-2015 10:38 AM

I started a new business at the beginning of September last year, I called Barclays to see if I could meet a business manager to set up a company account. No problem at all and they could see me at the end of October!

Metro Bank got my business.

Mr_Numbers

23-01-2015 05:03 PM

I have one client who pays me by cheque every month. Everyone else pays by BACS. Apart from that solitary cheque, I never have any reason to go to a bank. Even our last mortgage was entirely arranged by phone and email.

I assume this will be more of a nuisance for retailers and other local businesses that deal in cash and would prefer to bank it every day - but even then, with debit cards used for all but the smallest amounts I suspect the impact will be less than it would have been 5-10 years ago.

As for bank branches turning into hostelries, remember the old signs in pubs that said, "Banks don't sell beer, we don't cash cheques"? How ironic...

maxxonline2001

24-01-2015 09:53 AM

24/7 ??? online banking Wink

Sherwood

24-01-2015 10:08 AM

I remember the bank advert that said "My branch is now a trendy wine bar."!

BT

25-01-2015 08:54 AM

Remember the campaign about 15 years ago when Barclays agreed NOT to close the FH Branch.

About visiting branches. I spent nearly an hour on the phone to the Barclays Premier banking helpline yesterday trying to sort out why on our joint accounts I had been taken off Premier Banking and my wife was still on it. Eventually the 'Advisor' admitted defeat as he was unable to get through himself to the Premier Banking Team,and suggested that I try again on Monday. So much for Telephone Banking. I'll be in the local Branch here in Norwich on Monday and talking to someone face to face.

rbmartin

25-01-2015 04:51 PM

Barclays closed their Penge branch last year, like FH, it had a basic cashier service and not much else. (Natwest also closed in Penge as well)

Considering FH got it's refurb last year and Penge didn't, it was enough to keep ours open. If for any reason Barclays decide to cut hours even more, it leaves locals at the mercy of Santander, which has to be on of the worst 'banks' I've ever experienced.

robbrockley

25-01-2015 08:19 PM

Much prefer Santander to Barclays, who in my opinion are absolutely terrible.

nottinghillbilly

26-01-2015 07:44 PM

I've been with Barclays my entire working life.
I actively avoid telephone and online banking because..call me old fashioned I like the human touch.
I like that I can go into the local branch, I recognise the staff can chat to them and pop a pound in one of the collection boxes.
I would be gutted if our local branch closed or became manned by robots.
As regards customer experience, I'm just an ordinary working woman but have only had positive experiences with Barclays.
For example my mother who also banked with them was just a pensioner with a very tiny estate but when she was admitted to a hospice and had no will or arrangements in place the bank manager of the local branch went and saw her there, sat by her bed and because she was partially sighted very patently helped her sort out her affairs explaining what needed doing.
You wouldn't get that from a machine.

BT

27-01-2015 07:52 AM

I too have been with Barclays since 1968. I have never had any real problems and have been using their Online Banking from when it started.

I used the FH branch for 40 years and always found them helpful. When we moved to Norwich in 2005 we went to the local branch to inform them of our change of address and not only were welcomed but the manager actually took us round and introduced us to the staff. Interestingly our account was left with Barclays Forest Hill. I think this is to avoid problems with transferring everything. After all it doesn't really matter where your account is as queries can be dealt with at any Branch.

I managed to sort out the problem I posted about on Saturday over the phone yesterday and our Account has been put back on the Premier Banking service. I think the Saturday problem was a 'weekend' glitch as the person I spoke to yesterday sorted it out promptly.

Mr_Numbers

27-01-2015 07:55 AM

Pretty impressive personal service - can't argue with that! But anyone looking for an online/phone banking service should consider First Direct. Been with them almost since the start and they have been absolutely excellent.

billham

28-01-2015 01:47 PM

Similarly I have been with first direct for over 20 years and wouldn't go elsewhere. There is a reason why they win many awards - simply superb customer service.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Armed Robbery in Barclays Bank Mr Robin Banks 16 16,609 27-07-2015 09:11 PM
Last Post: michael
  Barclays Bank refurb rbmartin 13 13,509 31-01-2014 11:12 PM
Last Post: P1971
  The people shouting outside Barclays Bank Mr Pickles 2 5,169 14-01-2013 01:09 PM
Last Post: Perryman