SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »
Water on Ewelme Road
michael

08-02-2015 05:18 PM

Here are a few photos of the ice on Ewelme Road.

A couple of videos are also available at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HbghJ7l5Dc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HbghJ7l5Dc

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Maja Hilton

09-02-2015 11:59 PM

The results From Thursday's meeting with Thames Water may be disappointing to some. They have talked us through all the tests and excavations they did to prove that the water coming out of the road is not from leaky pipes. Cllr Upex and myself are expecting a timeline report outlining all this. It is suggested that this water is coming from a saturated high water table in the area. In lay terms it is a natural spring and therefore not a responsibility of Thames Water. This would suggest a far wider problem than just 2 roads in Forest Hill.

I had asked what can be done about the situation. The answers from my sources are only optimistic that the next few days will not have freezing temperatures and therefore ice should not be a problem.

Regarding the gritting, I did request it on Thursday but subsequently I learnt that this is ineffective remedy as running water will wash out any salt/grit. The only option available to the Council is to close off the road and affected area.

It has been suggested that this 'flooding' is responsibility of Environmental Agency. Well it is no surprise that they are also denying responsibility (could cuts to funding have anything to do with this, I wonder).

I would really like to speak to an expert on underground water to check some quotes: in particular the ones which say that nothing can be done since no one can predict where the water will emerge. Also, were there in the past some draining of this water done on industrial scale? So if anyone knows of someone who can shed some more light on this I would be grateful for the contact.

To me this issue invites a wider investigation and any help would be much appreciated.

This post was last modified: 10-02-2015 12:00 AM by Maja Hilton.

roz

10-02-2015 12:19 AM

Maja

Thanks for the update.

Surely the Council should be the people commissioning an hydrology survey?

I don't disagree about it being natural springs- a distinct possibility.

We need to compile data from recent experiences and sightings- no doing including the three occasions water sprung up within properties in Ewelme Road in the last decade.

Londondrz

10-02-2015 11:20 AM

Can I suggest that the council look at this from an engineering point. If it is a spring then I am sure that some clever engineer can come up with a way of making the spring flow into a gully and not the road.

lacb

10-02-2015 11:27 AM

According to this:
Flooding from groundwater: Situation Report for South London 23 January 2015

Quote:
Local Authorities lead on managing the risk of flooding from groundwater sources

Sherwood

10-02-2015 02:40 PM

I don't know the layout of you road, but I wonder if a "sleeping policeman" or road hump could be raised diagonally across the road just below a drain or gulley to divert the running water down the drain.

davidwhiting

10-02-2015 05:56 PM

I had a quick look at the Environment Agency document on flooding in S London.

I've not come across local flood authorities before, despite service on two councils with some areas of high flood risk, so I referred myself to Mr Cyber' electrickal source of all knowledge, and have thereby identified that the Local Flood Authorities are the Counties and the Unitary Authorities. I would assume that, in London, this must be The Mayor of London (ie Borisius the First), rather than Lewisham which is a second tier authority.

Would suggest that Ewelme Road residents, and also the Lewisham Councillors contact the London Mayor's office, and also speak to Len Duvall who is the Assembly Member.

As an aside, if the above is correct, it's a bit surprising that Lewisham officers, Thames Water staff, and the Environment Agency have not pointed people in this direction.

roz

10-02-2015 09:22 PM

Dave,
This is very useful but residents shouldnt have to be doing anything other than inform the authorities, TW, local Councillors , the police, the MP , and the press - which we all have done.

Others are paid to protect the public realm and ensure public safety- why cant they sort it out? At best put grit on the road whilst everyones scratching their heads.

It would appear that cars have been damaged as a result of this matter at considerable cost to owners. Thankfully though no one was killed.

A huge truck delivering steels arrived this morning in our street- imagine what would have happened if it had come last week had skidded? We d have had a scenario similar to Bath last night.

I am totally totally fed up with the officials and representatives who purport to act in the public interest and who have virtually abandoned this community to a dangerous situation when most needed.

Hopefully this matter will have media coverage by this time next week.

flashharry

11-02-2015 09:43 PM

I notice that the road resurfacing that is going on honor oak road has resulted in an impressive river heading down Forest Hill Road. Presumably Thames Water will try and deny that the water comes from any of their pipes

roz

11-02-2015 09:50 PM

Is there another burst pipe on HOR? Closed the school yesterday and lots of homes had no water either. But not again surely; The p4 was diverted this evening is that why?

roz

11-02-2015 10:12 PM

Well according to TW seemingly so-- multiple bursts apparently this time at junction with Greystead. Engineers arriving..Hopefully not another day off school!

Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Filming on Devonshire Road/Ewelme? julesie 1 2,977 05-09-2022 09:05 PM
Last Post: Runner_rich
  Water works (Thames Water) London Road SE23 samuelsen 0 2,801 17-04-2021 11:36 AM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Police Street Briefing at Ewelme Road - Sat 14th Nov 12-1pm admin 1 4,399 14-11-2015 12:47 PM
Last Post: admin
  Planning: 29 Ewelme Road michael 6 9,178 11-09-2010 03:04 PM
Last Post: roz
  Gang of young men -Ewelme Road /Woodcombe Crescent area roz 5 7,699 23-02-2008 11:54 PM
Last Post: Sherwood