SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Problems with Honor Oak Road
localbigwig

14-11-2014 10:20 AM

Honor Oak Road
Problems with Honor Oak Road started a few years ago when Southwark manipulated the roads Junctions around the Forest Hill end of Lordship Lane to stop traffic using Wood Vale and Underhill Road as through routes for traffic coming off the South Circular and from Sydenham hill.
This has forced most of that traffic to use Honor Oak Road, creating a volume of traffic that is not suitable for the road.

I would like to propose several Ideas to help alleviate some of the problems.

Allow traffic to use the other routes as they did before the manipulation by Southwark.

The Humps/cushions on Honor Oak Road do not slow the traffic down and just created extra noise for the residents to endure along with that extra volume; Therefore make it quieter by making Honor Oak Road a 20 mph zone, but without speed humps (drivers that obey the law will keep the speed down), also keep the raised crossing near Fairlawn school for obvious reasons .

Install Traffic light enforcement cameras to the lights at the junction of London Road and Honor Oak Road to stop the ridiculous number of red light jumpers; especially those that exit the Esso service station.

A mini roundabout at the Forest Hill Road end of Honor Oak Road would probably help traffic flow at that end of the road but there would also need to be pedestrian crossings in place to keep it safe.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Perryman

14-11-2014 02:47 PM

I think you are right - but the easy answer to stop all through traffic along Honor Oak Rd is to put a barrier up half way along.
And one half way up Devonshire Rd too.

rymerster

14-11-2014 08:13 PM

I agree with localbigwig's suggestions, the traffic is crazy outside my flat, frequently hear wing mirrors being clipped, and the noise as lorries go over the speed bumps is sometimes surprising!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields