SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Passengers break out of airport
roz

17-08-2008 08:43 PM

Probably only of interest to the dedicated few however what happened today was surprising to say the least - however I have not travelled much recently so perhaps such incompetence in the UK is the norm these days especially where BAA is concerned and I simply haven't noticed!

I recently returned to Gatwick after a few days away visiting relatives. The plane arrived at the gate and everyone got up to queue up for the exit. Nothing happened. There was no tunnel/bridge in place so the cabin crew could not open the door. The crew apparently tried to contact someone in the airport but could not get hold of anyone who could help- rather a worrying prospect for a range of reasons. So the plane , crew and passengers sat there for over half an hour wondering what was going on, unable to get off the plane, and unable to find out what was happening. The air on the plane was stifling - the captain had to turn the engines on again to get some oxygen into the cabin. Eventually after about 40 minutes a 'Man' turned up and linked the bridge to the plane. We all got off . No explanation or apology was given other than ' no ground staff available'. The 'Man' simply laughed, clearly finding the whole thing funny.

The by now hot tired and furious passengers (including some trying to get on connecting flights )proceeded through the tunnel as directed by ' the Man ' and down some stairs only to find- you've guessed it- a blocked and locked exit .Everyone then retracted their steps back to the plane only to find that too had been shut and locked and there was no access. The 'Man' had disappeared. So around 200 or so passengers were trapped in a relatively small stairwell for a further 10-15 minutes in what appeared to be an abandoned section of the airport.
The only other exit was marked' emergency exit only'. Someone suggested breaking the breakglass to get out however that too seemed to be out of action as the break glass had clearly been broken by some other desperate passenger trying to claw their way out. So a supposed ' emergency exit' was also out of action.
Fortunately a member of Servisair staff eventually turned up (by accident rather than design) and let us all out, all over an hour after the plane had landed.

You couldn't have made it up. So is this now typical of UK Plc and what if anything can we do about it? Is there any point in complaining and if so, who to?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sherwood

17-08-2008 09:01 PM

I would complain to Colin Matthews, Chief Executive of British Airports Authority.

Email:
colin_matthews@baa.com

michael

17-08-2008 09:26 PM

I would also complain to the Civil Aviation Authority http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=...ageid=2186

roz

18-08-2008 04:54 PM

Thanks. It also occurred to me today what a health and safety risk the whole escapade was. I will certainly make a formal complaint.

Sherwood

19-08-2008 09:24 AM

You could try this email address for health & safety:

hse.infoline@natbrit.com

Cellar Door

19-08-2008 09:55 AM

Hi Roz, I don't travel much anymore by Aeroplane but when I did take to the skies from BAA airports I never experienced anything as out of the ordinary as your incredible experience. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry as I was reading it. Particularly for the passengers who had onward connections. I'm amazed that someone didn't have a real meltdown. You didn't mention anything like that.

I would be very grateful if you could post any communication from HSE or BAA on here so I, and I imagine others, can see how it concludes. Of course with their permission if you think that would be courteous.

I'm surprised that this hasn't yet appeared on the BBC News website, and others, because it is an amazing story and has some considerable merit to be shared with a wider audience.

CD - Staying firmly on the ground.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields