SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »
Railway Telegraph
tomangel

22-10-2014 05:42 PM

Apologies if it was a little harsh, but it's this kind of snobbery, and calling people norm core, whatever that means, IS snobbish, that ruins pubs and results in us all sitting a separate tables and not talking to one another. But I guess that's how some people prefer it
The best pub round here for that is the Blythe Hill Tavern, perhaps Pippa might prefer that, although there also quite a lot of non-quirky men in there too. But apologies if I've sounded harsh.

Find all posts by this user
Jane2

22-10-2014 11:19 PM

OK guys calm down....

back to the subject of this thread, the RT. I've been in there a couple of times now. The manager and staff seem very friendly and keen to please, the interior is nice, the place is clean.
However the food did leave something to be desired... we went for an evening meal and I wasn't overly impressed. The food was average and for the prices charged I would expect something more. The food and sides didn't come all at the same time, and the dessert was obviously frozen and bought in - and £5 for a slice....

The manager was very attentive so I can't fault that, but I think they are trying to go for an up-market menu, but not hitting the spot, probably not an experienced chef, or cutting corners on ingredients - just guessing here. I am not a food snob, personally I'd rather the menu was simpler and cheaper but nicer.

(I can't comment on the 'men at the bar' as I didn't have an issue - unlike a recent experience at the Hob.....)

So overall, the RT is nice inside, it's good to have another choice of pub, and I will definitely return again for a drink, but not for a meal.

Jane2

22-10-2014 11:22 PM

PS and can you believe I actually just googled normcore. I am so out of touch.

Pippi

23-10-2014 09:17 AM

I'm not going to be too offended by anonymous snarkers, quite frankly. I am familiar with how internet message boards work.
And I used the word 'normcore' in a *totally* ironic way, it's a completely stupid word! Jane, please forget you ever heard it haha!(These things sometimes don't come across too well in print.)
And yes, thanks AMFM, for noting that I haven't personally attacked anyone here on this board, and wouldn't say anything on here that I generally wouldn't be happy to say to someone IRL.
Is it worth pointing out again that there is such a thing as personal taste, which personal experiences may well inform? And that this is a fine and good and perfectly normal thing?
Luckily there's plenty of places in our lovely area for everyone to enjoy Smile

HannahD

23-10-2014 09:48 AM

"And yes, thanks AMFM, for noting that I haven't personally attacked anyone here on this board, and wouldn't say anything on here that I generally wouldn't be happy to say to someone IRL."

Really? Not sure the owners of Le Querce would feel the same...

"I don't like the maitre d' at all, I don't like the way he stares, and I disliked the way he treated his staff. And his son, who has served us twice, is a complete k*****d."

AMFM

23-10-2014 10:32 AM

Let's all just step away from the keyboard. It is getting enormously dispiriting that almost every thread on this forum eventually seems to descend into unpleasantness.

Alice

23-10-2014 11:02 AM

This is positively mild compared to the east dulwich forum!

I agree though, let's keep this thread to the Railway Telegraph, the owner is trying really hard to get the pub right so I hope he is reading the feedback about the food as I'm sure he'll want to address any issues. I've always enjoyed the food there personally but there does seem to be a theme on more recent posts, although good reviews further back so maybe something has changed.

Herbert

23-10-2014 11:36 AM

What is "Normcore"?

Anyway, back to the subject.

Went in for the first time on Tuesday off the back of this thread. Had some really nice food, chicken and chorizo burger and a mushroom and chestnut steamed pudding. Both excellent.

Everyone friendly, liked the decor, i'll definitely go back.

Jane2

23-10-2014 11:46 AM

Pippi hope you didn't think I was snarking you! I just thought it was amusing I had to google a word. Showing my age. (I do know what snarking is though!)

Yes SE23.com doesn't usually get too offensive, which is what I like about it, as so many message boards seem to be full of trolls nowadays...hope it stays this way.

I always try to keep my reviews objective in the hope the owners will read it and use it to make improvements, as I genuinely do want these places to be successful! Otherwise, what happens is people have a bad experience, just don't return, and the place suffers.

I would though encourage people to go to places themselves and form their own opinions.

rshdunlop

23-10-2014 12:26 PM

Has anyone eaten at the RT on a weekday evening AND for Sunday lunch? It seems like people are generally positive about the main menu but the Sunday lunch was disappointing. Am I right?

Also, I really think pubs need to up their game with desserts. Something that tastes like it came from a supermarket value range won't cut it. I suspect there are lots of reasonably local providers of freshly made cakes and desserts that could provide homemade products for the pub.

Pippi

23-10-2014 01:02 PM

To Hannah D:

'.......to anyone *here on this board*', were the operative words.

I think people in the *public sphere / service sector* who provide a (insert your own description) service for which they charge over the odds (in my opinion)....are fair game. If you don't agree with that, I will respect your opinion.

Peace out, have a nice day everyone Mellow

Poppy9560

23-10-2014 04:46 PM

coo this site is so educational! I had to look up "normcore" on wikipedia and it sounds like me I ususally wear fleece and jeans at the weekend (assume a hoodie is a fleece?)
I don't tend to drink in pubs locally, if I go out it's straight from work but my favourite pub locally is the Blythe Hill Tavern as it's a real pub and has a lovely garden for summer

bigmacca1

23-10-2014 08:37 PM

Thought we might have heard from the Manager / owner by now?

He was a regular on here when he took over the pub And was fond

of telling us what he was and wasnt going to do with what is a local

pub ,No more ?

Mr_Numbers

29-10-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:
PS and can you believe I actually just googled normcore. I am so out of touch.

Same here - though it appears I am now highly fashionable. Had to happen some day...

Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Railway Telegraph brian 34 33,429 08-05-2009 11:52 AM
Last Post: Pam