SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Building a garden office in SE23
Swashbuckler

09-08-2014 08:38 AM

Can anyone provide advice on building a garden office in SE23?

Whilst the short jaunt to Canary Wharf via the Overground is never too much of a chore from our lovely home of Forest Hill, there are days when I would be much more productive avoiding the commute and "working from home". The problem is home is a chaotic, messy, space constrained zone that is atypical of modern family life. It has led me to conclude that the 100ft garden requires a 'man escape' zone and dedicated work space

I wonder if anyone on the forum has embarked on such a venture? I'm keen to know about any challenges, I'm most concerned about building regulations and planning permission, as I believe we are in a conservation area (Devonshire Road). Similarly, I'm keen to be sympathetic to eco and environmental demands, and neighbours alike, this is not intended as a "garden grab" for space, more an outbuilding that compliments the natural surrounds.

Any advice or pointers from the collective wisdom of the SE23'ers would be greatly appreciated

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Erekose

09-08-2014 12:35 PM

Are you thinking upmarket garden shed or something more akin to a pavillion? On open house days I have seen some very tasteful studio / pavilion buildings locally ( two very nice ones in Brockley / Deptford borders - one in the conservation area so that need not always be a barrier. You could start by finding examples of what you have in mind and then have a chat with the Planing dept.

sydenhamcentral

11-08-2014 02:05 PM

We have one and it's brilliant. We looked at lots, I'd advise the same.

Some were amazing, but expensive. We adapted a garden building which had a limited options list and insulated it and Kingspan, upgraded to double glazing, added a security gate, loads of sockets, an alarm, an underfloor swimming pool and gateway to Narnia, among lots of other things, that the people who sold it didn't do. It worked out cheaper than similar spec offices. PM me if you want more details.

It's worth going to Coolings Garden Centre in Knockholt to have a look at Burtenshaws offices (there are two there, make sure you go the right one) and check out www.shedworking.com for more advice. Alex, the guy who runs the site is extremely helpful.

In reality, you are probably looking at 5-10k for a decent sized one depending on how much work you do yourself and the spec.

Groundworks will be about £700+, many offices don't factor that in and leave you to sort that out.

Depending on the position and height, you don't need planning permission.

Make sure it's well insulated, go overboard on it if you can including under the floor. My top tip is buying seconds of insulation on Ebay. You will save a lot of money.

Good luck.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  National Garden Scheme: Se23 garden open today StuartG 0 1,571 16-04-2023 10:42 AM
Last Post: StuartG