The community website for Forest Hill and Honor Oak, London SE23
Events | Features | Forum | Local Books | Contact

Forum Archive
Problem Neighbours

Author Message
Joined 30-11-2005
Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2006 - 10:03 am:   

Recently water has been coming through the ceiling in my bathroom from the flat above, every two or three evenings, suggesting this happens when they are having a bath/shower. Just a few drops at first, but getting worse, enough to cause a puddle earlier this week. Yesterday two tiles fell of the wall, revealing the wall behind was damp. I approached my neighbour who claimed not to know what the problem was. It's either a leak, or as they have no shower curtain, water is falling on the floor when they take a shower. They denied this was happening, but guess what, that same evening my floor was covered in water. Does anyone know if there's a department at the council that could help before water gets into the electrics. Any other useful advice would be greatly appreciated. To make matters worse my neighbours are renting their flat. Many thanks.
Joined 17-03-2005
Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2006 - 10:55 am:   

You should be covered by your insurance company for repairs of this kind. Have experienced something similar in past and when I contacted my insurance they quickly located the problem and chased other people to fix it as they realised the potential damage was far greater and therefore their potential bill was far larger.
Joined 13-10-2005
Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   

If they are renting from the council, you should contact the management company and they will investigate and make the repairs. This happened to me recently.
Joined 17-03-2005
Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2006 - 01:46 pm:   

This may be covered by your freeholders insurance as it involves damage to the fabric of the building. I would contact they or their managing agents first. They will then take action against the lessee of the upstairs flat as the onus is in her/him to not allow damage to occur to the fabric of the building or to adjoining properties.
Do you know if they have a shower cubicle or one over the bath. The former are notorious for leaks.

You will probably be able to claim for the full cost of redecoration of all affected rooms.

If this has been going on for some time, then a proper investigation is required to assess the damage to timber and plasterwork etc, as this could lead to wet rot if not properly dried out.

If you have a modern ccu with a trip switch then this ought to prevent a fire occuring although you should get this checked out immediatly to prevent risk of shock. Your upstairs neighbour can be held liable for the cost.

Would recommend you keep your own insurance company informed in case there are subsequent claims for damage to contents.

hope this helps
Joined 27-07-2003
Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2006 - 03:53 pm:   

Get in touch with the Public Health Dept. It could be construed as a Statutory Nuisance and they can take action
Joined 16-07-2004
Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2006 - 05:40 pm:   

Your neighbours are likely to be in breach of the lease which in turn will make the owner of the flat in breach of the lease with the Freeholder.

Check your own lease which will more than likely be on identical terms to the owner of your neighbour's flat. If you know the owner of the flat, speak to them to let them know the tenants are in breach and as a result not only the tenants but also the owner could be subject of legal proceedings

Failing that, contact the freeholder who usually has the power to make tenants remedy breaches on behalf of leaseholders at the property.
Joined 21-12-2005
Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2006 - 05:57 pm:   

We've had water from our bathroom coming through our kitchen ceiling in the past, due to the grouting around the bath needing renewal. There may only be a small amount of grout missing, but if you're using a shower head then a lot of water can find its way down the wall behind the tiles. Perhaps that's what happening with your neighbours?
Joined 18-04-2005
Posted on Friday, 19 May, 2006 - 07:16 am:   

You should be 100% covered by the Buildings Insurance
Being a block of flats there would surely be one free holder who is taking out insurance for the whole block and I assume charging you highly for this service.
Re getting the mater sorted for future. Again the free holder should be able to give you full details of the owner of the flat. Write to them holding them responsible for any future leaks and copy in the insurance company
Good luck

Local forums in nearby areas: | | | | | |