The community website for Forest Hill and Honor Oak, London SE23
Events | Features | Forum | Local Books | Contact

Forum Archive
Loud Music - Dartmouth Road

Author Message
Joined 31-03-2005
Posted on Monday, 12 September, 2005 - 10:02 am:   

I live near Question on Dartmouth Road and on both Friday and Saturday nights loud music kept me awake or woke me up.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else was kept awake by it by it, or knows where it came from.

Now I'm not 100% certain the music came from Question bar, but it seems to be a likely candidate, does anyone know if they've been granted a later licence?
Joined 30-03-2005
Posted on Thursday, 15 September, 2005 - 03:27 pm:   

These are the telephone numbers to call about loud music:

020 8317 2170 Mon to Friday 8.30 to 4.00 p.m.

020 8314 6000 Mon - Fri - 7pm - 3am Sat & Sun 7pm - 3am NO DAY SERVICE

If you call during the day they should be able to tell you what late licence has been granted.
Joined 27-07-2003
Posted on Friday, 16 September, 2005 - 08:20 am:   

Thanks for posting the Numbers.
They would have been welcome for me a couple of weeks ago when a local party went on until 5am and the venue seemed to include the outside gardens of our flats as well. Its a pity its only available until 3am.
Joined 31-03-2005
Posted on Friday, 16 September, 2005 - 05:01 pm:   

Thanks for the numbers, might see if i can find out if a late licence has been granted.
Joined 30-03-2005
Posted on Monday, 19 September, 2005 - 12:24 pm:   

If they cannot help you the telephone number of the relevant department for a music entertainment licence is

Licensing Team 020 8314 6400
Joined 27-05-2004
Posted on Tuesday, 20 September, 2005 - 03:16 pm:   

Regards the phone number supplied by Sherwood in his / her first post - the correct number is 020 8314 2170. The other number is unfortunately a residential number... oops! :o
Joined 30-03-2005
Posted on Wednesday, 21 September, 2005 - 10:04 am:   

I copied all these telephone numbers from Lewisham council's website!
Joined 30-03-2005
Posted on Wednesday, 21 September, 2005 - 10:31 am:   

020 8314 6000 is the main switchboard for Lewisham Town Hall. How is this number a residential number?
Joined 18-03-2005
Posted on Wednesday, 21 September, 2005 - 10:58 am:   

It's the 317 that's the problem, it should have been 8314. It's easy to mistype phone numbers or end up dialling fax numbers as I often catch myself doing. ( a sign of early dementia?) As Sherwood says 8314 6000 is the council's main switchboard so any other direct numbers for deparments need to start with 8314.
Joined 09-03-2005
Posted on Monday, 26 September, 2005 - 03:52 pm:   

Does anyone know the rules/law on when noise is acceptable during the daytime (in respect to the neighbours) when living in a freehold flat?
Joined 30-03-2005
Posted on Monday, 26 September, 2005 - 04:07 pm:   

From Defra website "The most common route involves complaining to your local authority about the noise problem. Local authorities have a duty to investigate complaints from premises (land and buildings) and vehicles, machinery or equipment in the street. Under sections 80 and 81 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990, (as amended by the Noise and Statutory Nuisance Act 1993), local authorities have a duty to deal with any noise which they consider to be a statutory nuisance.

I have already given Lewisham Council's telephone number, i.e. 020 8314 2170.
Joined 16-07-2004
Posted on Tuesday, 27 September, 2005 - 11:09 am:   

Monty - there's no such thing as a freehold flat as far as I'm aware. You may have a share of freehold but still have and existing lease - how do you own the freehold? if it's as a managing company in which the owners of the flats have shares then technically, the company will own the freehold while the owners will have a long lease of the flat.

Check the provisions of the lease - there is likely to be a clause in there in respect of noise nuisance and the procedures to be followed where one tenant needs/wants to make a complaint against another.

Are the noisy occupants the owners of the property or are they sub-tenants? The sub-lease will be on identical terms but more to the point, the owner, as landlord, will usually have a duty to ensure that his tenants do not disturb the "quiet enjoyment" of the property of others in the building.

While I appreciate the Defra point about noise levels I think this looks more like a straightforward Landlord and Tenant matter that needs to be resolved by checking the terms of your lease/shareholders agreement before calling the council in.

Hope this helps
Joined 09-03-2005
Posted on Tuesday, 27 September, 2005 - 11:49 am:   

Bosco - yes sorry I meant share of freehold. The lease does have words to the effect of 'quiet enjoyment of others' - but my question really is what that actually means in real terms as it's quite subjective!
Joined 18-04-2005
Posted on Tuesday, 27 September, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   

I agree it is very difficult living in old Victorian Houses with poor sound insulation.
I have an aversion to loud music especially the modern repative non tunefull type ( do I sould old ).In my opinion if you can hear any noise in the street it is too loud. Suggest they purchase ear phones.
You need give and take but there must be give by both parties
Regading noise over a road we had a terrible problem about 5 years ago but was sorted when the council noise van came round indentified the source and sent a warning letter.
Joined 16-07-2004
Posted on Tuesday, 27 September, 2005 - 04:09 pm:   

To be honest Monty, I'm not sure what the required level of noise would be to disturb your quiet enjoyment - usually these things come down to what is deemed "reasonable" - another woolly legal term I'm afraid!

On a practical level it may be worth having a word with your neighbours - it is possible they don't realise how much the noise carries from apartment to apartment and if nobody tells them they'll never know. If they tell you to F off you'll know you're dealing with unpleasant people and at that stage it is then worth considering enforcing the terms of the lease against them. This is one of the many reasons that share of freehold can sometimes be a real nightmare...
Joined 09-09-2005
Posted on Tuesday, 27 September, 2005 - 07:44 pm:   

I recently had a problem with a noisy neighbour. My first port of call would have been to speak to the person concerned. However, from another neighbour I’d heard that they received a hostile reception when they had done so.

Not wanting to put myself in a similar position I contacted the Council.
I found them to be sympathetic, prompt and professional.
They asked that I keep a diary of events.

Without resorting to my diary they came out, at my request, at unearthly hours (albeit not after 3am – I don’t quite understand that either) to witness the disturbance – in this case TV noise just about loud enough to be audible – but nonetheless loud enough to keep me awake.
The premise of their judgement would appear to be based on the council guy having a listen, and then deciding whether the noise is a nuisance or not.
Not very scientific I admit, but to quote the council guy “After 23.00 you are entitled to silence”. Which seems pretty straightforward.

The good news of this story is that the source of disturbance was identified, those responsible were spoken to and the problem has now stopped, without any tears or blood being shed.

As an aside… as I understand it, as a property owner one is obliged by law to declare to a prospective buyer, any known defects in the property one is selling.
It’s obviously in the buyer’s interests to ask such questions irrespective of whether these refer to the structure or condition of the property and it's utilities or, for that matter, disputes with neighbours which are on record and have been substantiated.

Local forums in nearby areas: | | | | | |