SE23.com
The community website for Forest Hill and Honor Oak, London SE23
Events | Features | Forum | Local Books | Contact

Forum Archive
New shop - or not?

Theotherbrian
Joined 28-03-2005
Posted on Wednesday, 20 July, 2005 - 10:02 pm:   

Sadly I found myself becoming somewhat heartened by the sight of the old funeral directors opposite Boots being tarted up. It even has a name now - "Mayo Maker" but it all seems to have ground to a halt. Has the retail curse of Forest Hill struck again? Or does the name suggest a new deli?
Fischer
Joined 16-06-2005
Posted on Wednesday, 20 July, 2005 - 10:30 pm:   

No - a "mayo maker" is a slang term for an internet cafe.
Bosco
Joined 16-07-2004
Posted on Thursday, 21 July, 2005 - 09:52 am:   

Are you serious?? Forest Hill does not need an internet cafe - I understand The Hob already provides that service and there are 2 or 3 other places in the London/Stanstead Road area that provide internet services.

I hate internet cafes with a passion - they are a complete anomaly. Either have a cafe or an internet service, the two should never be mixed.
Dommy
Joined 27-05-2004
Posted on Thursday, 21 July, 2005 - 12:59 pm:   

We have yet witness a serious comment from Fischer...
Dommy
Joined 27-05-2004
Posted on Thursday, 21 July, 2005 - 01:00 pm:   

(yet to)
Hilltopgeneral
Joined 24-03-2004
Posted on Thursday, 21 July, 2005 - 03:54 pm:   

Fischer is not quite right; in fact "Mayo Maker" is a growing chain of combined "communication centres" (enabling both cheap calls overseas and internet access, but without cappuccinos), nail bar and fried chicken shop, all under the one roof.
Ophelia
Joined 18-03-2005
Posted on Thursday, 21 July, 2005 - 04:24 pm:   

The man in the drycleaners next door said he thought it was going to be a clothes shop.
Fischer
Joined 16-06-2005
Posted on Thursday, 21 July, 2005 - 08:01 pm:   

Nothing serious Dommy? Well what about the lost cat? Not only serious, but highly responsible.
Also the Sainsburys vouchers for active kids. And the traffic hazard in Davids Road.

OK - I admit some of my contributions are a bit off the wall. But hey - we have free speech, and I believe we ought to use that privilage as creatively as possible.
Roz
Joined 17-03-2005
Posted on Thursday, 21 July, 2005 - 10:36 pm:   

I think its a spelling mistake, and its actually still an undertakers called ' Meet your maker'. Maybe the paint was still wet when you read it, Brian, and it ran a bit.

I believe 'fried chicken shop' is a Louisiana slang term for undertakers.

Gosh, I am so the wittiest person in Forest Hill.
Dommy
Joined 27-05-2004
Posted on Friday, 22 July, 2005 - 12:23 pm:   

Nothing wrong with light hearted banter Fischer, feel free to carry on.

And Roz, when are you performing at the Hob comedy night?
Baggydave
Joined 19-05-2004
Posted on Tuesday, 02 August, 2005 - 12:54 pm:   

Fischer, leave the facetious comments to myself, TJ (sadly retired) and he who must not be mentioned (ranting away on other FH websites)
Seeformiles
Joined 09-04-2005
Posted on Wednesday, 17 August, 2005 - 01:54 am:   

It's a men's clothes shop but I hear it will eventually stock some women's clothes too. It occurred to me the other day that Forest Hill is probably seeing the first signs of real regeneration. A new health food shop, Sainsburys expansion, 3 new clothes shops in the last year. Not bad. All we need now is a decent chemist and cafe.
Brian
Joined 18-04-2005
Posted on Thursday, 18 August, 2005 - 06:55 am:   

Hi See for miles ( I guess you live in Canonbie Road.)
Maybe I walk round with my eyes closed. Where are the 3 clothes shops.?
I expect the new Sainsbury's will have a chemist.
Re Health Shop. Are you talking about Provender . Very nice and good Latte but hardly new has been there for about 30 years. Used to be run by Elizabeth and Brian in the 70's
Is there another health food shop I am missing.
Re Cafe. I recommend Provender for Coffee.But I agree another class cafe would be a plus
Seeformiles
Joined 09-04-2005
Posted on Friday, 19 August, 2005 - 03:31 pm:   

Dear Brian,
I've had very mixed experiences in Provender so it's not usually my first stop for coffee. A new shop called Organic Republic has appeared opposite Sainsburys, although so far there's just the shop sign. Will probably be a few weeks before the shop opens. (see other thread)
Brian
Joined 18-04-2005
Posted on Sunday, 21 August, 2005 - 01:44 pm:   

Hi
I am very impressed with Provender , but we can only go by our own experiences.
I have seen today the sign for the Organic R , looking at the unit I would think the new Sainsbury will open before this shop does
Rob
Joined 23-01-2003
Posted on Saturday, 10 September, 2005 - 10:16 pm:   

Went into Mayo Maker opposite the Dartmouth Arms for the first time today and it looks great. Loads of really cool clothes for 20s/30s blokes and well priced; quite a surprise to see a shop like this in Forest Hill.

The owner told me that he'd had a few negative comments in the past month that the shop was too good for the area. Strange that some people don't have the foresight to see how an area could change with local support and a positive attitude.

Well done to the Mayo Maker, Bunka and the other shops nearby who are taking the risk by investing in the area. We need more people like you...
Ophelia
Joined 18-03-2005
Posted on Monday, 12 September, 2005 - 10:12 am:   

So are we any clearer about what "Mayo Maker" means/why the name was chosen?

Local forums in nearby areas: SE13.com | SE14.com | SE20.com | SE22.com | SE24.com | SE25.com | SE27.com