SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
School catchment areas again!
Pipanova

21-01-2014 09:22 AM

Hi, I am keen to move to SE23 but as we're based abroad at the moment, we seem to be missing out on some pretty fast-moving property! We've got two young kids, and two older ones who only live at home occasionally, and so am interested in primary school catchment areas. Does anyone live on Devonshire Road, at the end close to Forest Hill? It seems to be a catchment blackhole - close to three primaries but not close enough to any. Has anyone had experience of this and how it works itself out? Anyone got any other tips?
Thanks, and sorry for returning to a much spoken about theme!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Prampusher

21-01-2014 01:47 PM

Hi Pipanova

My kids go to school on the other (Catford) side of FH station so I cant help you personally. Where you are talking about used to fall within either Horniman's or Elliot Bank catchment area, but I'm not sure either would work now. Try Lewisham Council school applications dept, not sure if they could help. Maybe Holy Trinity, a faith school next to the Library, would be within reach? Or else Christchurch, another faith school on Perry Rise. I dont know much about either schools but you can always look up their Ofsted reports - I know Christchurch got a really good one recently. Sorry I cant help more. School applications is a stressful subject.

michael

21-01-2014 02:02 PM

Kelvin Grove, at the other end of Dartmouth Road, probably has a catchment area that includes Devonshire Road. Even Hasletine (down at Bell Green) has a catchment area that includes this far away.

Perrymount, Fairlawn, Horniman, and Eliot Bank are all relatively close (but the catchment areas may be challenging). And the Christian schools - Christchurch and Holy Trinity are probably closest to the town centre.

Prampusher

21-01-2014 03:06 PM

Yes good point about wider catchments - Kilmorie currently has a wide catchment and everyone I know with children there seem happy with it.

Pipanova

23-01-2014 04:38 AM

Thanks all for your help everyone. My brain had started to bleed with it all, but I think it's easing now.... A bit more research and fingers crossed a house comes on the market we can afford!

Prampusher

23-01-2014 08:57 AM

Good luck - it's a very stressful process, ESP. From abroad. Let us know if you want any more info.

Bells

06-02-2014 10:37 AM

Hi

We live in the Forest Hill end of Devonshire Road (although selling). Our neighbours children go to The Horniman and Elliot Bank (benefitting from a bulge year). I also know local children who got into Fairlawn (which had a bulge year last year). I was surprised given the catchment areas publiched but it is interesting that so many of our neighbour's children have got into their choice schools. I appreciate that it is a bit of a lottery and the decision regarding bulge years is often made very late....good luck with it all.

michael

06-02-2014 11:21 AM

All applications for next year should be in but, based on the planning application, it appears that Horniman will have a bulge class this year.

Eliot Bank had a bulge class two years ago, so many places will go to siblings.

Fairlawn had a surprise bulge last year (announced in July) so really anything could happen by September!

Fortunately, all across SE23 we have many good and outstanding schools, with some massive improvements in the closest SE26 schools that were under-performing. So as long as your child gets a local school place, they will be well catered for.

But that doesn't stop me still wanting one of the three above, which happen to be closest to me and are the first three choices for my daughter. Her friends and neighbours all go/will be going to these schools, so I would be unhappy if she had to go further away to school next year.

mrwandle

06-02-2014 12:11 PM

Lewisham Council is currently consulting on schools admissions policy - survey here.

or link:
http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/news/Pages/Ha...sions.aspx

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Catchment areas for primary schools in SE23 for September 2015 Reception OakR 2 5,568 02-05-2015 12:32 PM
Last Post: OakR
  Fairlawn school rated Outstanding in all areas ladywotlunches 3 7,262 25-11-2014 10:55 PM
Last Post: shzl400
  List of primary school catchment areas hoona 17 23,128 21-10-2013 01:47 PM
Last Post: daveherne
  Ridiculous Doctors Catchment areas ukulele_lady 32 35,763 03-08-2010 12:10 PM
Last Post: Satchers