SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
A plan to save the Honor Oak pub?
Cellar Door

03-10-2013 02:55 PM

Southlonder wrote:
I would be more inclined to support a similar project for the Old Bank if i'm honest, sorry.

I’d support both. With a wee bit of my spare shekels. And with my transferable skills.

Southlonder, are you inspired to lead/co-lead (is that a word?) on a similar project with the Old Bank?

Southlonder wrote:
Why did the previous owners fail?

Good question. I’ve got a sense that over the last little while the balance of comments posted on various threads had tended towards the disappointed.

For example, Nellienoodle’s comment on the Ex Honor Oak Pub thread sums up the general consensus that I’ve been sensing.

Nellienoodle wrote:
I know the old manager had a hard time of it, but it didnt offer what we need - I got fed up of my husband moaning about the c**p beer and being served a "latte" (nescafe mixed with milk and served with a straw)

Anyway, thank you very much Sparkles for your OP and the link.

I’ve also left my details.

This is something very innovative. There appears to be some hope still left in the old Honor Oak.

I observe on this part of the The Hope and Honor link that Sparkles gave us that there is some experience…

The Hope and Honor Website wrote:
London's first co-operative pub is located in Nunhead. It is called The Ivy House. The Ivy House is a Community Benefit Society, which is a kind of Industrial and Provident Society. It is a co-operative, where each member has the same vote regardless of the size of their investment.

In the case of The Ivy House, they knew that a property developer was drawing up plans to gut the pub and turn it into flats. Instead of letting someone destroy a historic pub, the community got together to block the move, raised the money needed, and saved the pub from being wiped out.

By-the-by, by the strangest of coincidences I happen to be sitting at a workstation in an organisation in the great big, evil heart of The City. This organisation, amongst many other things, orientates people, with too much time on their hands, for this kind of innovative thingy. It is part of what I think I do now that I’m retired.

I think that my word-du-jour is:

Serendipity!

Find all posts by this user

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: A plan to save the Honor Oak pub? - Cellar Door - 03-10-2013 02:55 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Flats plan revealed for green with unlawful fence in Honor Oak admin 6 7,374 19-04-2023 10:45 AM
Last Post: Sherwood