SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (9): « First < Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Next > Last »
Horniman Triangle Play Park
lodge coffee co.

25-03-2009 09:05 PM

Hi it's The Lodge Coffee Hours, We are open 6 days a week from 10am Mon to Fri, Sat & Sun 8am (closed Wedensday) looking at cover for both that and early morning, closing is when custom is at an end and the night is falling? please keep me posted as to your requiments to the use of the park. Please bear in mind the coffe shop is localed in park and if realy raining then may be closed and would be very sorry for any inconvence.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

25-03-2009 11:04 PM

Speaking of 'any inconvenience', do you know if there are plans for toilets in the Horniman triangle?

I understand that the old toilet block is to be demolished as it is falling apart and was pretty grotty at the best of times, and I did previously report that there would be toilets - I hate to be wrong about these things.

lodge coffee co.

26-03-2009 07:30 AM

i hear that they plan build toilets behind the coffee shop.thats not a guarantee.

brian

26-03-2009 09:47 AM

Only a short crossing to Horniman's delux convenience.

roz

26-03-2009 10:26 AM

Its not a short walk when crossing one's legs and hopping, also when holding the hand of a toddler doing the same, Brian.
Try it!

brian

26-03-2009 11:02 AM

Hi Roz
Was not meaning to be contencious. I accept your comment.
Not sure the council will consider paying for new conveniences when other conveniences are not that far away.

Surely you remember the day of the Public Convenience is not what is was. I am sure you recall the ex convenience on the David's Rd / Devonshire Rd junction. How far is another public convenience from there.?

I wish you luck but doubt if it will be funded in todays climate. Does anyone know the costs of conveniences ( assume will need 3 , ladies , gents and handicapped )

scipio

28-03-2009 04:01 PM

Agree with Roz there is a need for working toilets close to the children's play equipment in the Triangle. The toilets at the Horniman Museum on the other side of the South Circular are much too far away to be a viable alternative -as any parent or grandparent of young children would know. The "pidgeon loft" is where the toilets and changing rooms were conveniently located when this Play Park was created. Obstinately Lewisham Council are set on knocking this building down without replacing it with a new toilet block on the same site making use of the existing pipework. A very short sighted and wrong decision.

vipes

29-03-2009 07:54 PM

Liked the Lodge. Well placed, looking over the park, and encourages you to get the kids using an area other than the play corner - although the developments at the bottom look impressive enough to draw them away once complete. Really nice friendly service. good luck. All I'd say is please increase the tea cup size.

roz

04-04-2009 10:04 AM

A few concerns about the works and plans for the park;

I was there the other day with my young child and the lower area around the play equipment and the old toilet block was infested with pigeons and their associated mess. It was all over the ground and the play equipment itself and my child got it all over her hands. Thankfully I spotted it just before her hand went in her mouth. This stuff is lethal so I am very concerned now about taking her here.

I am curious about the sequence of works for the demolition of the toilet block given that Easter is here and people will be using this area more and more. Why is is taken so long and given the risks associated with demolition, potential asbestos etc, has this been left until last. The entire programme seems to be very slow.

The new sand pit in the middle looks good, but children have been squeezing through and under the Heras fencing and playing in it . Its not finished so presumably not yet certified as safe. Surely this can't be left in this condition?

Where are the proposed young childrens swings to be sited and when are they to be built?

Dog control. What plans are there to protect this are and the main childrens area from dogs? I see no proposals for fencing off this area a la Dulwich Park, unless I have missed something. There was also(recent) dog poo in the grassed area just below the cafe.

If anyone can assist it would be helpful - will probably email the Council directly next week, also. Thanks

roz

04-04-2009 10:12 AM

PS Looked back to Susan Wises report that the loos were to be demolished in January of this year. Whats going on then, as they clearly haven't.

Is there any sort of 'Friends of Horniman Triangle' in existence to support the park and to represent parents and childrens interests?

Londondrz

04-04-2009 11:13 AM

Really looking forward to taking my daughters back to the park when it is finished but not before the swings are reinstalled. No swings=big tears. As Roz has said, any update from anyone one the council????

brian

04-04-2009 02:57 PM

Strolled over for a coffee this afternoon. Unfortunately all seats taken so gave it a miss.
Hope I have better luck next time but seems they are getting good custom

Satchers

04-04-2009 08:27 PM

Well all credit to Lewisham and the Parks Department (I assume it is they) but my two sons declared the new sandpit digger area a complete success.

Today it was very well used, very busy and provides a different and very interesting set of play equipment in Forest Hill.

Long may it continue.

Londondrz

05-04-2009 05:58 PM

Well, got dragged out today by the daughters to the park. My word, I didnt know there were so many people in Forest Hill, the park was full. Good layout and children looked like they were having fun although a "dont throw sand" sign might not go amiss.

Although the wife and I enjoyed it both daughters were asking for slides, everyone is a criticCool

Airguitarman

06-04-2009 01:33 PM

I went there yesterday with my wife and offspring. Loved the coffee hut. Good value. Could do with toilets.

However, call me a pessimist, will the sand look that good over the coming weeks, months or years. As a kid we never played in the sand pit because they were always the de facto dogs toilet.

I'm also concerned that the damaged fencing will invite vandals to damage the plant pots etc;

Concept of the park is great, but I worry about maintenance. I'm not convinced this was thought through properly.

monika

08-04-2009 10:58 AM

The new sand area is really great. Hopefully, with good maintenance, it will be a long lasting addition to Forest Hill's facilities for children. At the risk of sounding picky though, does anyone know when the water pump in the sand pit will be turned on?

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

09-04-2009 08:17 AM

I'd presumed the water pump was for show and the channels it 'pumps' into were there to be filled with sand but looking back at the proposal it definitely says 'water play'.

Went for the first time on Tuesday - great to see some life in the park again.

ladywotlunches

09-04-2009 04:15 PM

Superb! My 3 year old loved it yesterday - and much less taxing for me than having to push him on swings/catch him off slides etc.

Not sure about it in a few months, re: the 'dog toilet' comments though. Is the playground meant to be a dog free zone?

Londondrz

09-04-2009 05:11 PM

The whole park is a designated "no dog" zone. Signs at all entrances.

essjaygee

14-04-2009 09:01 AM

Unfortunately I have encountered several dog owners in that park who seem to have a blind spot as far as the No Dogs signs are concerned. Hopefully now the playground is more established it will be obvious to dog owners that it's "No Dogs" for a reason.

Pages (9): « First < Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Vote for the Horniman Triangle michael 1 4,241 12-10-2015 12:08 PM
Last Post: michael
  Horniman triangle Mondella 0 3,598 23-09-2014 03:24 PM
Last Post: Mondella
  Lost: Silver Arrowhead Pendant in the Horniman's Triangle Play Park. Sentimental. ScottishAngel 0 3,000 14-10-2012 04:55 PM
Last Post: ScottishAngel
  Homeless lady in Horniman Triangle Novels 29 30,012 19-06-2011 05:36 PM
Last Post: Perryman
  Fire at Horniman Triangle Cafe petersutton01 10 12,412 22-06-2010 12:12 PM
  Horniman Triangle Coffee Shop Airguitarman 1 5,085 02-04-2009 10:02 PM