SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Adding footpaths to Google Maps
michael

03-06-2013 08:25 PM

Google Maps now allow people to edit the maps at https://www.google.co.uk/mapmaker

I've been adding some pedestrian paths and paths in the parks that I know about, but it would be great for others to add their knowledge of the area.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tim Lund

02-07-2013 04:15 PM

I see you can also add areas, e.g. wards, which I find a good source for here a good source for here.

I've just submitted Perry Vale Ward - don't know how long it takes to be approved.

michael

03-07-2013 07:46 AM

I've submitted Forest Hill Ward so that both sides of the railway are done. I might do Crofton Park later if I get a chance.

Rather surprisingly Tim Lund actually appears on Google Maps, complete with picture, home address and mobile phone number. I'm not sure I would want to put quite so much information on Google Maps. Even our esteemed administrator does not put so much information on Google Maps and ends up appearing in the middle of Ladywell Cemetery!

My advice is to limit the personal information available so easily on Google Maps as you never know who is after your rhubarb Wink

Tim Lund

03-07-2013 10:19 AM

And if anyone wants my home number, it's in the phone book.

Tim Lund

05-07-2013 01:17 PM

I'm having an interesting discussion with some Google Maps reviewers as to whether local wards are allowed.

Quote:
Voting wards are not valid for mapping.
Denial Reason - Has wrong information
by csuke - 21 hours ago

Quote:
Already exists as a neighbourhood
Denial Reason - Duplicate edit
by Bee - 20 hours ago

Quote:
What's going on here? csuke - where is it said that voting wards are not valid for mapping? Bee - if it already exists as a neighbourhood, then where? And does that not conflict with csuke saying that voting wards are not valid for mapping? csuke - where is the information wrong? Bee - how is this a duplicate edit?
by me - 59 mins ago

Quote:
No, it doesn't. A neighbourhood is different to a voting ward. Voting wards often encompass more than one neighbourhood and may also divide a neighbourhood purely for political and voting reasons. However the neighbourhood still exists and unchanged.
by Bee - 35 mins ago

Quote:
TimLundSE26 - I have been told this by trusted sources and this has been verified by Google in other edits. A quick test is: would anyone give their address as "Perry Vale Ward" or would you ever give directions to "Perry Vale Ward", finally, is this ever used in any other circumstances than on polling day.

Everything on the map should be for things that people use or search for.
by csuke - 23 mins ago

Quote:
csuke - thanks for that. I think those are excellent test questions, which are pretty well exactly those I have used in discussions with my local councillor, who makes a futile attempt to create a local web site for the ward. I actually think they apply as well to larger areas such as LB Lewisham, of which this ward is a part - you can read my thoughts at length on this if you want, but AFAIK, Lewisham is an area on Google Maps, so why not its wards? Here in LB Lewisham we have an attempt by the Council to develop a ward level consciousness, and thank to a system of Local Assemblies, they have some significance; people do sometimes ask what ward they are in when it comes to what Ward Assembly to go to to raise some issue, or go for funding for some project. More widely, knowing what ward you are in is relevant to knowing what local councillor you should take up an issue with. So I really think wards should be allowed - can you point me to the policy and discussion where Google has verified that they should not be?

michael

25-06-2014 09:20 PM

I've taken some time to add details to http://www.openstreetmap.org/
The good thing about this site is that you can add businesses and buildings, much more detailed than Google.
I've attempted to add all shops in Forest Hill over the last couple of days as well as many large buildings.
It would be great if others add details that they know in their own area. Other areas, such as Dulwich have much more detail, so we have some catching up to do, but adding details is very quick and easy to do.

michael

26-06-2014 08:56 AM

I should point out that it is only slightly less addictive than Tetris.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields