SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Where do local primary kids go on to, on whole?
Perryman

13-02-2013 02:51 PM

Unlike the local primary schools, the secondary schools with their large catchment area better reflect the diversity of the borough we live in, with all the problems that can bring - poverty being the key to under performance. There is a lot of poverty in Lewisham.

However with a stable home, bookshelves full of books, one or both parents in rewarding jobs, and a belief in education, then your child generally will excel academically where ever they go and will make friends with children like them. The 2 main local schools need these middle class children to keep their figures up and some concessions are made to attract them (some streaming, latin, gifted programmes).

Kingsdale as the flag ship academy is unlikely to be allowed to fail and despite all the scandals and disastrous results in 2012, it is likely to become a reasonable alternative for those parents who really want a mixed school. But they cast the net wide and their selection criteria is a mystery in practice.

The facilities (sporting/music) will be better at Prendergast HF and Haberdashers (Hat), but unless you can look out your window and see the front door, you have next to no chance. There are very very few music places.

Grammar schools in Kent are about 1h away, which if you add a stack of h/w every evening seems an ordeal, but many do it. Probably will need private tuition to do well enough at the 11+ though.

Harris Crystal Palace is selective and as a result their results are excellent, but I'm not sure they have any better facilities.

That's my take on the local free secondary school options. I hope I've been reasonably fair.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Where do local primary kids go on to, on whole? - Perryman - 13-02-2013 02:51 PM