SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Garden Waste
Pico
No longer registered

02-10-2012 09:19 AM

A message from the online version of Lewisham Life

'Did you know you can recycle your garden waste by taking it to one of four drop-off points throughout the borough? The sites are open from 9am to 12 noon at the weekends and provide a free service to residents (you will need to bring proof of address and id). Flowers and plants, grass clippings, hedge trimmings, leaves, and twigs and branches up to four inches in diameter are accepted.'

Follow this link for your nearest drop off point -

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/wa...QO,2YG8C,1

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Medley

02-10-2012 09:31 AM

That's all very well if you have a car. If you don't you have to buy the bags at a tenner for ten of them and phone up to get the stuff picked up. The service works well.

Pico
No longer registered

02-10-2012 09:56 AM

I don't have a car. I still find it useful to know this service exists. I am a fan of disposing waste in the correct way and I don't mind making a little effort to do so. I don't expect door to door service?!

rshdunlop

02-10-2012 10:14 AM

I've seen plenty of people carrying their waste to the drop-off points, or taking it in wheelbarrows!

Both services - the drop-off points and the green bag collection scheme - work well. I use both depending on circumstances.

What would be even better would be to have brown bins, like they have in other boroughs, to collect garden and food waste for municipal compost-making.

Tinkerbell

02-10-2012 01:27 PM

Hi Medley and rshdunlop, where in SE23 can I buy the green bags? If you have any info, that would be greatly appreciated.

Agree on brown garden waste bins - used to have one in Barnet (though confusingly, it was green there) and they are very useful if you have enough space on your property. Victorian terraces with lots of conversion flats are less likely to have enough space though.

rshdunlop

02-10-2012 01:59 PM

You can order the green bags online from Lewisham's website - it's in the Do It Online section. Once you are done you can arrange pick up from the same page. Alternatively you can get the bags from any Lewisham library.

They have brown bins in Southwark - my friends in East Dulwich have them. Similar housing stock to Forest Hill, I would have thought.

nitoda

02-10-2012 03:13 PM

Green bags are *usually* available from libraries, but it would be best to phone and check if making a special journey. As a volunteer at Crofton Park I am well aware that we don't always have them in stock and neither do all the other branches.

rshdunlop

02-10-2012 03:18 PM

This is true - I have often gone into FH library for two rolls and they have only been able to rustle up one, or none.

Ordering them online is easy and the bin men deliver them when they are out doing their pick ups of filled bags, so quite eco-friendly too!

Tinkerbell

02-10-2012 03:42 PM

Cheers, I'll order them online.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lewisham live-garden waste recycling juels 11 9,859 11-05-2016 01:24 PM
Last Post: dlf75
  Extension of Lewisham's Garden Waste Collection councillorsusanwise 5 8,133 13-04-2010 12:43 PM
Last Post: tripandfuschia
  Lewisham Council Free Green Garden Waste Collection Sites councillorsusanwise 0 4,334 09-03-2010 08:21 PM
Last Post: councillorsusanwise