SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next > Last »
Horniman Licence Application
junegapi

09-04-2012 09:36 AM

If what Jane2 writes is correct, it does not make any sense at all for the Horniman to need an alcohol licence for more that 100 people, absolute max. Why does it need one for more than 10,000??

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

09-04-2012 10:23 AM

I don't disagree with most of what you say Jane2 but they can do most of what you state already. They key to the issue is the little difference between a licence for up to 10000 people and one for 14999. If they are worried about being one or two over then they shouldn't be running events that they can't control in the first place. Also if you don't live on the doorstep which I suspect you don't, then you would be far enough removed from it all not to really be concerned about the impact. Some of us have painful Memories still of the last badly run event. No one is trying to put the Horniman out of business just want a common sense approach. I'd love to enjoy a nice beer or glass of wine up there but would personally want to
see major improvements in the quality of the food before choosing to spend money on alcohol to go with it.

reverendlionelblair

10-04-2012 08:10 PM

So your objection to the alcohol licence is based on the quality of food in the Horniman restaurant? I dont know whether the licencing laws accomodate that kind of requirement but I'm sure the Horniman can commit to serving food that Rick Stein wouldn't sneer at. Also, you have to stop going on about the Jerk Cookout as if it was similar in scope to the Hillsbrough disaster. Talking without perspective leads people to make comments like...

Junegapi, you think that a licence for 100 people would be sufficient? Have you ever been outside? Seriously?

roz

10-04-2012 11:51 PM

No, it isn't. Go back and read my posts again.

orange

16-04-2012 10:53 AM

I have been at the Cafe' a couple of times and did not find the food to be of particularly good quality, also expensive compared to other places in Lordship Lane.

tiggywinkle

23-04-2012 06:40 PM

I was takeing sunday tea with my dear old friend next door yesterday,who has lived 'up on the hill' for many years.Over the second cup of earl grey she remarked,(in a very gentle way),how much nicer it was,years ago, when the people at the museum did'nt want to cook chicken for 20,000 people,and have a booze up for 15,000,people just wanted to live,and, enjoy thier home and not open nurserys in them,and your garden shed was safe!Oh for the old days. tiggywinkle (mrs)

squashst

24-04-2012 07:06 AM

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. And the old days have gone. Not that they were as good as they were cracked up to be (for one things the hairstyles were worse, and the trousers very silly - look at BBC progs on the 70's).

Triangle

24-04-2012 11:15 AM

Personally I think it was nicer years ago - I'm talking 50's and 60's - but you'd have to have been there to perhaps appreciate the difference. Of course, there was no internet or forum then, but you don't miss what you've never had and while it might be easy to dismiss some of the old ways - most were reliable and worked well.

I think that some of the recent differences of opinion that have become apparent on this forum indicate that there is a clear divide between the priorities of older and younger generations livng in FH - But that is probably the basis for a new thread.

brian

24-04-2012 11:42 AM

It baffles me why you need alcohol for festivities. What a state we have got to.

tiggywinkle

24-04-2012 11:51 AM

Well said Brian!! How long before some bright spark wants a 'spliff' weekend down there?? sort of Amsterdam comes to Hornimans! tiggywinkle(mrs).

Sherwood

24-04-2012 12:45 PM

I remember "the good old days" when you could get drunk for a fiver, but I did not have a fiver!

lacb

24-04-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:
It baffles me why you need alcohol for festivities.

You don't. It can make festivities a little more festive though. :-)

Quote:
What a state we have got to.

What an extraordinary comment! Humans have been celebrating with alcohol for at least a few thousand years. Am not saying that is good per se but it is in our culture.

Alcohol abuse is a different matter however, though by no means a new thing either. Are you seriously suggesting that the Horniman's licence application would be particularly conducive to this?

This post was last modified: 24-04-2012 12:53 PM by lacb.

michael

24-04-2012 01:08 PM
No Longer Registered

24-04-2012 01:33 PM

The last paragraph of the news article reads:

They added: "When we arrange large scale events the Horniman Museum always directs visitors towards using public transport, while pointing out that there is only limited public parking available in the area surrounding the museum."

This is pretty lame. We all know that if public transport isn't a convenient way of getting to an event and you have access to a car then you will use the car.

The area surrounding the Horniman cannot sustain a large influx of car based visitors and they should not hold events that will inevitably result in a significantly increased number of visitors travelling by car.

Triangle

24-04-2012 01:53 PM

A nice pot of tea is also in our culture and I suspect that a good number of the public would be quite satisfied with just that.

But you can't help noticing the irony can you? Horniman's - a tea trading company - is applying for a licence for alcohol. Given their history and how their wealth was founded, you'd think they might have good reason to make a stand and give the booze a deliberate miss.

lacb

24-04-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:
A nice pot of tea is also in our culture and I suspect that a good number of the public would be quite satisfied with just that.

True and if they ever hold a tea festival, I will be be there drinking some.

However, I also enjoy a tipple and I don't see a reason to be a killjoy about this. They ran one event which they admit was too large. There is an opportunity to build a bridge here and support a fine local institution in their work. Which is rather removed from tea these days.

Londondrz

24-04-2012 03:01 PM

I am still not sure why we are banging on about one event. The Jerk Cookout was spoilt by a minority of people being idiots. The Horniman admited it had got too big and are not having another.

It's time to move on.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

24-04-2012 04:17 PM

Let's close the museum. It is blatantly capable of hosting thousands of visitors on a normal day and all of them could potentially drive and park on our roads. Time to demolish this abomination of an organisation. Now, where's my online petition

tiggywinkle

24-04-2012 05:31 PM

absolutlyfumeing,what a FABULOUS idea!!Imagine living without this vexation of the spirit,this sword of damocles hanging over us!!show me the petition,I'll sign it! tiggywinkle (mrs). Ps It's only full of old junk anyway!!

Sherwood

25-04-2012 07:54 AM

Good idea!

Let's close everything!

Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields