SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Double Glazing / Windows help!
FGAliB

09-01-2012 03:21 PM

Hi everyone,

We've just bought a flat in the area and we desperately need the front windows replaced. I am taking quotes from the big national glazing companies but wondered if anyone had a local recommendation (I've heard these can be less 'hard-sell' and it's always nice to support smaller business)? But we'd really appreciate any recent experiences with any glazing company too. Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Joffe

09-01-2012 03:27 PM

We used Bespoke Windos and Doors - now at the top of Lordship Lane - assume they're still going and did a good job for us.

rshdunlop

09-01-2012 04:17 PM

We had our Victorian sash windows replaced with new double-glazed wooden sashes about two years ago. I had them done by a man based in East Dulwich. He makes the frames, has them glazed, then installs them with the help of a friend. Custom-made windows at a fraction of the price the big companies were quoting (some of them quoted double what I ended up paying) He also refurbished some windows that were still sound but needed new cords and draught proofing. His name is Guy Chadwick (The Sash Guy) and you can find more recommendations for him and his number on the East Dulwich Forum. I couldn't tell you what his after sales service is like because we haven't had a problem with any of the windows since!

I've heard horror stories about the big firms and would steer clear.

shzl400

09-01-2012 08:21 PM

You don't say whether you have sashes or casements and whether you want wood or PVC replacements.

We had ours done, reluctantly in PVC, by these guys: Crestshield and would recommend. A family firm, based in Penge.

At first we were going to rule them out because their sales rep (son) failed to keep appointment, but dad chased up and pleaded for a second chance. They especially did a particularly job of replicating the look of the stained glass fan lights in the replacement PVC windows.

They have a variety of ranges and will quote a cheaper window for e.g. a BTL landlord than for a homeowner. You need to be clear about what you are getting for your money and that quotes are like for like.

Applespider

09-01-2012 09:48 PM

I used the Sash Guy too - as did another friend locally.

He did a great job and the price was as quoted (despite a few tricky aspects that only came to light once started) which was the best I'd been quoted.

I didn't get double-glazing but did get all the windows draught sealed which has made a huge difference this winter.

jamster

09-01-2012 11:09 PM

Paul of Scenic Glazing http://scenicglazing.com/
Did a great job for us, and is frequently recommended on the east dulwich forum.

This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 11:10 PM by jamster.

FGAliB

10-01-2012 09:11 AM

Thanks for all these replies! We've got wooden sash at the moment - be nice to keep them but it's a house conversion and next door have UPVC Casement so we're just looking around really. Thanks again!

wayfarer

10-01-2012 10:23 AM

We used a firm called paxtons to renovate our windows a few years ago, and weren't happy at all. Would not recommend.

Sherwood

10-01-2012 10:27 AM

My neighbour used Sutton Windows. They look good.

You need to be careful to get replacemnt windows that look reasonably like the originals.

roz

10-01-2012 12:54 PM

I can highly recommend Greenwich Glass and Joinery based at Deptford Bridge especially if you are talking wooden windows. You need also to ensure that you receive the FENSA paperwork which is in lieu of building control certification as you won't be able to sell your property without this.

rshdunlop

10-01-2012 01:55 PM

You don't usually need FENSA documentation if you are refurbishing, upgrading or replacing like-for-like - it is classed by FENSA as renovation, which doesn't need certification. We didn't need it even though we replaced 60% of our windows. Any experienced installer will know whether you need it or not, it's good to ask, and you can check with Lewisham as well.

This post was last modified: 10-01-2012 01:57 PM by rshdunlop.

Applespider

10-01-2012 09:01 PM

I'd also add that it's amazing how old sash windows can be refurbished. I really thought that at least one of mine was entirely past it but in fact, it just needed a new bottom sash and a sill. The top sash and the rest of the frame were still solid - just needed some TLC so that they hung properly and were draught proofed

orange

11-01-2012 03:55 PM

We used Crystal Windows. The jobs was OK but the company's attitude let a lot to desire. After we had our burglary, we had to replace all our glass windows downstairs with special laminated glass, as suggested by police. The Insurance company gave us the name of the glaziers. The double glazing glass provided by Crystal Window let us down. We also had to deal with a lot of dust after the job was over. They cut the UPVC indoors and for weeks we found debris everywhere. We also were not so happy with their quotes. We had a reasonable initial quote, but did not go along with it soon as we were in the process of having more quotes from other suppliers (some of them really sharks!). Then their manager called and his quote was completely different from his reps. He stated that the windows needed extra pilons etc..At the end our window glass panes were smaller. If I moved anywhere else, I will think twice to call them again.
If you live downstairs, get laminated glass for the window. It is not more expensive than the toughened one but is approved by insurance companies.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Double glazing company recommendations please! Z100 0 2,689 26-03-2014 03:17 PM
Last Post: Z100
  Double Glazing in HOP reallyflying 0 2,351 01-03-2014 04:53 PM
Last Post: reallyflying
  double glazing company recommendations dianaruthven 0 2,524 08-01-2014 09:41 PM
Last Post: dianaruthven
  Double glazing recommendations jenny85 0 2,549 05-11-2012 11:35 AM
Last Post: jenny85