SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Motorbikes, Omnibuses and a Ladies School
grosehodge

04-01-2012 12:05 PM

Hi every one

I have attached a bomb damage map which hopefully makes it a little clearer. Why didn't I do that to begin with? Silly me.

Roz, your thoughts on the acreage might be spot on. It may of been part woodland, but wouldn't the school talk it up a bit?

The site of Vale Lodge (if I'm on the right track) would have fallen in these "pleasure grounds".

The bomb map is colour coded with purple and black being the most severe. Direct hits are shown as circles.
Go to the bottom left bomb circle. Just outside at the 2 o'clock position is the end of a straight row of terraced houses on the west side of Perry Vale. The last two I believe were 70-72 Perry Vale. They are quite badly damaged. In the rear of these last two houses is an area colour coded orange. A strange structure to have in the rear of two gardens! Surely this was the Motor Cycle workshop and then the omnibus garage. There was probably, looking at the map, just enough room for vehicles to access either down the side or at the rear of the terrace. Note also that Vale Lodge, though quite near a direct hit, is colour coded as repairable.

My search for images of these premises goes on. Perhaps local papers may have done a feature on the motorbike works. All info welcome.

Many thanks, Paul

ps to get the map under the 500 kb allowed I have had to delete a bit of it, hence the white square.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Motorbikes, Omnibuses and a Ladies School - grosehodge - 04-01-2012 12:05 PM