SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
Phone Hacking Scandal Reaches FH
roz

09-07-2011 01:45 PM

Brian, I think your needle is stuck in the groove.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

09-07-2011 02:47 PM

Roz
You clearly implied that Mr C was guilty. As far as I am aware no court has convicted him yet.
Surely innocent until proved guilty should apply to all crimes.

Sherwood

09-07-2011 05:39 PM

Prince William's equerry warned David Cameron not to emply him. The Royals have some uses it seems!

rbmartin

09-07-2011 06:43 PM

I went past his place at 1pm, it seems the media left after Coulson gave them a statement about the closure of the News of the World this morning.

jgdoherty

09-07-2011 08:31 PM

News Corp are reportedly printing 5 MILLION copies of tomorrow's final edition of News of the Screws.

Their web-site has had all subscription access limitations removed for most of this week and you do not need to pay.

Remember the Dowler family, the Soham families and all our military families who were so vilely abused by News Corp. And remember News Corp's Murdoch bullies cowardly say that they did this in our name by way of justification.

Financial sources are now reporting that both Murdoch's will face corporate charges in light of thir illegally sanctioned payments to silence peope.

They created this toxicity using lies and deceit and continue to weave deception on a huge scale.

The last editor of the NoTW, to whom his staff are declaring undying loyalty was one of the original three internal News Corp investigators who declared that illegal activity was restricted to two rotten apples. What price loyaty ?

Be resolute, leave it on the shelves. It will have no value.

Prove them wrong.

Sherwood

10-07-2011 02:48 PM

i bought one because Murdoch will be forced to hand over most of the money to charity. That will hurt!

brian

10-07-2011 05:24 PM

I never have purchased one so why start now.

Sherwood , Mr Murdock would be no worse of if you did not buy a copy.

PVP

11-07-2011 11:43 AM

Posted by hasto - 08-07-2011 10:08 PM
I thought he lived in East Dulwich!!

So do many people who live in Forest Hill Rofl

notstoppin

15-07-2011 09:34 AM

Brian

Coulson edited the News of The World for Murdoch. Having been forced to resign that post, he moved to Downing St to become Cameron's media-fixer.

He may not have been convicted of a criminal offence (yet).... but innocent? I think not.

notstoppin

18-07-2011 11:46 AM

According to the BBC news this morning, "Home Secretary Theresa May is to tell MPs about her "concerns" over the closeness of the relationship between News International and police." I wonder whether she has similar concerns about the closeness of the relationship between News International and 10 Downing St? Will Cameron follow Sir Paul Stephenson's lead? His judgement is surely just as flawed.

brian

18-07-2011 12:26 PM

I do think the whole media is fiddling while the immiment economic crisis causes by The Euro and State spending burns.

The whole hacking saga is a mountain out of a molehill. Get a grip Britain

Perryman

18-07-2011 01:44 PM

Keep your eye on the key issue - it is not just the rights of celebs or the distasteful interference with the phones of the dead.

It is the revelation of the extent of News International's poisonous grip on our government and police institutions.
Likewise Fox News in the US has enabled some right wing fundamentalists be elected to a position where they can bring down the country.

I cant connect NI to the euro problems, but I think it fair to say that this organisation needs to be broken up.
It has become far too powerful.

Sherwood

18-07-2011 01:56 PM

It should be broken up on economic grounds to ensure more competition.

roz

18-07-2011 02:25 PM

Amazingly I agree with Brian. I'm a Labour party supporter who has watched whilst the last Labour Governments embraced the Murdoch empire as a way of winning votes. They were all at it. Cameron may have questionable judgement on this but frankly not as questionable - yet- as Tony Blair- I do not like the Tories but it will for me take a lot for Cameron to be on the same level of corruption , bad judgement and poor ethics as Blair.

The Murdoch question has also reigned for longer than I've been an adult but no government has been willing or able to deal with the power of that media empire. The same discussions have been going on for decades with no one really getting to grips with it.

I picked up a copy of the Sun today in a cafe; there is a page advert from News International condemning the individuals who have led what was a good newspaper (NOW) into disrepute. More despicable hypocrisy but it was probably inevitable that Murdoch was going to hang Rebekah out to dry, ( nearly wrote fry- perhaps more accurate) at some point.

There is a whole famine going on in Africa at present whilst this hacking business takes the headlines. Again another example of the media turning in on its own navel whilst the rest of the world hits the buffers.

brian

18-07-2011 03:53 PM

Good to have your agreement Roz.
So many far more important matters to concern us.

dbboy

18-07-2011 03:59 PM

Appears as those involved are all falling like dominoes.

Sherwood

18-07-2011 04:32 PM

Who will be the next one to fall?

jgdoherty

30-05-2012 10:26 AM

Seven strapping Glasgow "polis" turned up to knock on Andy Coulson's door in Dulwich this morning.

He has been formally arrested and charged with alleged perjury at the Glasgow High Court in the Tommy Sheridan criminal case (ironically the NotW had engineered a perjusry charge against Sheridan and he went to jail).

This could yet be the most serious allegation against him and NotW as they shipped themselves up to Glasgow wholesale to persecute Sheridan in a now infamous follow up to his civil case victory against them.

It would appear that they felt invulnerable and did not realise that to be "economic with the actualite" in the follow-up criminal case would have serious consequences in the minds of the Scottish Judiciary and the Glasgow Police.

I wonder if the TV cameras were there for the traditional perp's walk in handcuffs.

jgdoherty

30-05-2012 11:42 AM

Correction:

Should be "detained for questioning in Glasgow" and not "formally arrested and charged.."

jgdoherty

30-05-2012 08:00 PM

The London based press seem mildly annoyed that Andy Coulson had to endure being driven to Glasgow in a people carrier with seven policemen for company. Why didn't they fly the poor soul there - it is a long way, is the plaintiff cry.

Maybe because alleged perjurers do not and should not get special treatment.

The emphasis in reporting, at the moment, once more seems to focus on phone hacking - but this time that emphasis is misplaced and the real focus may be on his conflicting evidence given in two different depositions about paying-off police officers.

Andy Coulson, during the perjury trial of former Scottish MP Tommy Sheridan, said: “I don’t accept there was a culture of phone hacking at the News of the World.”

He also denied knowing that the newspaper paid corrupt police officers for tip-offs.

However in a joint evidentiary session with Rebekah Brooks at the Parliamentary Committee, Ms Brooks stated clearly that NotW had paid police officers, just before Mr Coulson cut her off by adding that News International only paid-off police officers by legitimate means, to which Ms Brooks vigorously nodded her assent.

Unfortunately for Mr Coulson it has subsequently emerged that there is no legitimate means whereby any payment to policemen for such services can be made. It was just Mr Coulson's and Ms Brook's short term good-luck on the day of their evidence to Parliament that no committee member new that this statement made to the Committee was a confession of illegal activities to which both persons could be deemed to be allegedly culpable.

For Mr Coulson however, his evidence given to Parliament and his evidence made in the High Court in Glasgow provides potential evidence of alleged perjury on his part on at least one of those occasions. It simply cannot be the case that both of his statements could be true at the same time, hence the close examination of his alleged perjury.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields