SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
dogs and public transport
Mio

03-01-2011 12:28 PM

As far as I am aware, dogs are allowed on public transport in England (at driver's discretion on buses).
The few times I had to use a bus (route 75) I have never encountered any problem.
On new year's day I was carrying a 10 week old terrier puppy and tried to board an almost empty bus on Perry Vale (route 356).
It was a sad scene I witnessed, as the fat driver spewed a "NO DOGS!!" scream.
Thank god for the screen around the driver's booth or the passenger boarding ahead of me would have been covered in his saliva.
No harm done. Walking keeps your body and mind healthy - an irony that would have certainly escaped this overweight driver.

Happy new year everyone

Smile

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mio

03-01-2011 12:36 PM

Just wanted to add that I had no intention to mock his weight problem. it was a way of setting him apart from the other nice drivers.

I think he had a mustache

Jane_D

03-01-2011 01:57 PM

Not meaning to attack you, Mio, and that does sound like an annoying incident on the bus, but your second comment made me want to chip in that I really don't like to hear the word 'fat' included in a description of someone's bad behaviour, or in a phrase that suggests that fatness implies ignorance or stupidity. Many fat people are extremely worried about their weight and struggle to lose it and become fitter, but have great difficulty doing this. Many are extremely well informed about the benefits of a healthy diet and exercise, as well, just not managing to put it into practice.

Not to say that this is, or isn't, the case for that particular bus driver, but I doubt if it would improve his mood to discover that he is known as 'the fat one' as opposed to 'the nice ones'!

brian

03-01-2011 02:05 PM

I think there was a previous thread on dogs on buses.
I personally have no objection if well behaved and they should pay a fare , as used to be on the trains at least.
I have heard their have been complaints about Muslim drivers not allowing dogs on board. You have not stated if this was the case or was he just too fond of the pies.

Jane_D

03-01-2011 02:06 PM

... and of course, you didn't actually use the word 'fat', you said 'overweight', but I think the principle is the same...

sandy

03-01-2011 03:21 PM

For TfL rules go to :

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/tran...16393.aspx

I'm not sure repeating unsubstantiated claims about 'muslim' bus drivers is helpful.

Londondrz

03-01-2011 04:15 PM

Folks, if the bus driver was fat, then he was fat. Why get het up about it. I am fat and my doctor tells me I am fat. If he was a she would you get upset if we said it was a woman? Would you get upset if the bus driver was very thin?

More important things to worry about in lifeSad

Jane_D

03-01-2011 04:56 PM

Well - I can only say that it does seem a significant issue to me, in the same way that racist and sexist language matters.

Nothing wrong with saying in a neutral way that someone is fat, or a woman, or black, or whatever. But unfair negative labels easily get attached to groups of people - often things to do with being lazy, or stupid, or ignorant about health, in the case of fat people. I think that comments that link fatness to undesirable behaviour that has nothing to do with body shape reinforces these negative labels unneccesarily.

Mio

03-01-2011 05:09 PM

Londondrz has absolutely nailed it. I couldn't agree more.

Thank you Sandy for a very useful reply.

No point in being bitter Jane. Thanks for your feedback anyway.

Happy new year

Jane_D

03-01-2011 05:15 PM

Mio, I wasn't intending to attack you for your very mild, throwaway remark. The use of language seems an important issue to me - that's all I'm saying.

Mio

03-01-2011 11:30 PM

no hard feelings

brian

04-01-2011 11:16 AM

There is no doubt the increasing obsesity epidemic is a severe drain on our heath service.
Type 2 Diabetes is usually becauses of diet and many other illnesses as well.

I have also noticed the increasing tendency for overweight people to take up two seats on the Buses.

Why are there so many more fat people arround than there was say 50 years ago.

roz

04-01-2011 04:01 PM

Now that we're bored of bashing double buggies on buses, and denying an ambulance to non-holders of the Cambridge English Language certificate, yes lets start bashing fat people on buses. I know I may have alluded in the past to large people taking more seats than they may have paid for but it wasn't nice of me and I wasn't serious, I was just a little 'buggied out' after all the negative energy being expressed at my children.

Perhaps Brian to keep you happy there ought to be weighbridges at the entrance doors on buses with an automated voice that says' no coach parties please this is just the humble P4' or even a tilt mechanism that ejects fat people through a trap door. Or even adopting the Michael O'Leary approach to charging an additional fare of £1 per kilo over a certain bodyweight to compensate for extra wear and tear on the suspension. Or perhaps something like one of those suitcase measuring thingies at airports so that only people of a certain width, height, and depth are allowed on. 'You can't squeeze into that sir? Sorry you can't come on here as we could accommodate another two fares in the space you would occupy'. Etc.

sandy

04-01-2011 04:12 PM

Reductions for those who take up less than the width of a seat?

brian

04-01-2011 04:27 PM

Dearest Roz
Yes you have a vaild point. Charge per kilo on Buses.

Surely it is NOT unreasnoble for people taking up 2 seats to pay for them. I think in a lot of American airports they weigh people in.

This is also important for safety purposes as the freight is weighed and changed at last moment if more or less passengers arrive . But surely weight of passengers should be taken into account.

Surely the big ( pun unintended )question is why so many get so big nowadays. How much is this costing The NHS.

rbmartin

04-01-2011 05:03 PM

If we're all getting bigger, then surely we should widen the seats to the American standard?

But then they'd be less room for the buggies, which opens up that can of worms again! Wink

lottie

04-01-2011 09:16 PM

Rumour has it that free bus travel for school kids is going to be scrapped. Yippee because I can,t believe how many schoolkids I see waiting at the bus stop by Forest Hill Station just to go two stops to Sydenham School. Charging them would hopefully make them walk thus solving future obesity problems perhaps?! Job done.

Cellar Door

04-01-2011 09:54 PM

brian wrote:
Surely it is NOT unreasnoble for people taking up 2 seats to pay for them.

Following this logic then since The Rt. Hon Eric Pickles MP takes up almost two seats in Parliament, would he get paid double the normal MP salary?

Mio

04-01-2011 10:17 PM

I think this is what Cameron means with BIG society

Londondrz

05-01-2011 09:57 AM

A good idea would be to attach handles to the back of the bus so overweight people like me can run behind the bus until we are thin enough to fit in a normal seatLaugh

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  UCL student - survey on feelings towards using public transport during and post Covid nmilford 2 4,548 02-07-2020 05:05 AM
Last Post: annsquire66
  Public Transport lillam 5 6,707 25-11-2011 01:19 PM
Last Post: Jane