SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (70): « First < Previous 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 Next > Last »
Trains to/from Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park
blushingsnail

12-12-2008 01:50 PM

Again from memory, there were positive indications that the Victoria service could be accommodated, but I don't think it was confirmed as definite. Possibly because it's up to the new franchisee to decide exactly which services they want to run?

Unrelated matter: Came across this in the Tender document (bottom of page 25) about Sunday morning services:

"Network Rail have indicated that on Sundays between 0700 and 1200, in order to provide an opportunity for daylight patrolling, slow line services into London Bridge from the Sydenham line are to be no higher than 2 tph ? complementing the 4 tph service that will be provided by LOROL."

So that's only 2 direct trains per hour to London Bridge on Sunday mornings.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nevermodern

12-12-2008 02:32 PM

Abster, here's a previous thread on the issue:

http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=646&page=1

Gep

27-01-2009 09:38 PM

Guys, is it just my impression or have they reduced the trains from London Bridge to Forest Hill in the evening?
I've just noticed it in the last few weeks, because I keep missing for one minute the 18:35 or the 19:35 and then I have to wait for 20 minutes for the next ones.
What happened to the 45 past the hour to Caterham?
And what about those trains that used to go straight to Forest Hill in 9 minutes like the 18:25? (I know there were just a couple of them, but they were great to show to people that Forest Hill is not that far after all).

Jon Lloyd

27-01-2009 11:19 PM

A few months ago for HOP from LB there was the 18.05 then an 18.18 then 18.36. Now there's 18.05 still but 18.20, 18.24 and 18.34, so one more train. And keep it under your hat, but the 18.24 is luxuriously long, but I have a feeling they might be experimenting pre-ELL.

Baboonery

28-01-2009 01:39 AM

I like watching everyone cram onto the 1820 while sitting in space and luxury on the 1824.

Still doesn't make up for the loss of the 1825, mind.

blushingsnail

28-01-2009 12:23 PM

Engineering work affecting the train service on Sunday 1 February 2009.

From memory of what I read on the poster this morning (the information isn't on Southern's website - more of that below):

Northbound: Trains to London Bridge will be reduced to half-hourly: xx.01 and xx.31 (FH times). No trains through to Charing Cross on our line but you can still change at LB for SouthEastern trains to CX.

Southbound: No trains from LB stopping at FH etc. Go to East Croydon and come back on a northbound service. [Does anyone ever do that?! Go to Catford or East Dulwich instead and get a bus to FH.]

And now a moan about Southern's website. I found one page about engineering works: refers to works this Sunday but no details of service alterations. Found another page relating to works affecting FH services: no information about this weekend so clicked on the link for next weekend - 6 [sic] Feb 2009 (Southern's weekends obviously start on Fridays) - which led to a pdf dated Sat 3 and Sun 4 February 2007. And it wasn't just a typo with the date: the information was different to the poster at the station. The pdfs for the following weeks are also from 2007. All in all, f***ing useless.

Jon Lloyd

28-01-2009 02:42 PM

Only a matter of time I fear before Southern realises the 18.24 is far too civilised and knocks off four carriages. The 18.20 does get particularly packed I agree. I'd love to know why it can't be made as long as the 18.24. If some of that route's platforms are too short they could always ask people to get on at specific areas of the train.

Honor Oaker

28-01-2009 06:45 PM

There used to be a Victoria stopping train at 1818, and a Dorking train fast to Forest Hill at 1825. These have been replaced by two stopping trains, the 1820 to Dorking and the 1824 to Victoria, which means an extra service for Brockley and HOP. However, the services are not well-spaced, and poor commuters to places like Box Hill & West Humble have a slower and more crowded journey.

michael

02-02-2009 09:47 AM

This morning there are no trains or buses from Forest Hill. If anybody has any luck travelling anywhere please update us.

I think the best way to get around today is to take black bags to Horniman Gardens and turn them into makeshift sledges.

roz

02-02-2009 09:12 PM

I understand from a neighbour that there are no trains running from Forest Hill tomorrow either. I assume that is correct?
Hibernation, Day 2 coming on!

Baboonery

02-02-2009 10:22 PM

I'll be sure to look out my back window early morning and update you all. I was about to post that there were no trains so don't bother setting off this morning, but didn't want to take the responsibility if they suddenly started...

Baboonery

02-02-2009 11:08 PM

Snow has stopped and the thaw is definitely on. The rails are visible at the down end of FH station, which they haven't been since about this time yesterday. I wouldn't give up hope/get your hopes up (delete as applicable) for the morning just yet.

ambient
No longer registered

02-02-2009 11:22 PM

Below, i've reposted from Southern's website (in case it's down again tomorrow). I think the Purley->London Bridge service is intended for us, but it's not clear.

http://www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=5

SEVERE DISRUPTION TO TRAIN SERVICES - TUESDAY 3 FEBRUARY
Last updated 22:10 Monday 2 February

Due to the adverse weather conditions, Southern will be running a revised service for Tuesday 3rd February.

We will be running the following services:

- A half hourly service between Brighton and London Victoria
- An hourly service between Three Bridges and London Victoria
- A half hourly service between Purley and London Victoria via Selhurst
- A half hourly service between Purley and London Bridge
- A half hourly service between East Croydon and London Victoria via Crystal Palace
- A half hourly service between Brighton and Seaford
- A half hourly service between Horsham and Three Bridges
- A half hourly service between Bognor Regis and Gatwick Airport via the Arun Valley Line
- A half hourly service between Brighton and Southampton
- A half hourly service between Brighton and Portsmouth via Littlehampton
- A half hourly service between Brighton and Eastbourne
- An hourly service between Eastbourne and Ashford International
- An hourly service between Eastbourne and Hastings

These services will commence at approximately 05.30.

For train times and train running information, please call National Rail Enquiries on 08457 48 49 50 or visit http://www.nationalrail.co.uk

Also, for more information about Southern services and London Underground service information, please visit http://www.journeycheck.com/southern

There will be no services on the following lines and routes:

Tattenham branch
Caterham
Watford Junction
East Grinstead
Uckfield
Epsom to Horsham via Dorking
Epsom Downs
West Sutton to Wimbledon
Beckenham Junction
South London Lines (London Victoria to London Bridge)
Tulse Hill
Redhill to Tonbridge

We apologise for any inconvenience caused during this disruption to Southern services. We are working towards returning our services to normal.

chica

02-02-2009 11:23 PM

From what I can make out from the not-very-clear Southern guidance on their website, it does indeed look like we might have no trains tomorrow.
http://www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=5

Tinkerbell

04-02-2009 09:22 AM

At least it seems the Southern website is up and running again. Tried to get info on Monday and couldn't get into their website at all for hours, don't think it was due to website traffic but appeared to have crashed. Had no problems getting into other train operator sites, which, miraculously, had even been updated with some useful information on the current situation.

Ghis

17-02-2009 04:19 PM

Mentions of FH and Brockley but not Honor Oak Park on the map regarding overcrowding:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/a...article.do

I must say that lately the trains have become even worse with frequent cancellations due to signal failures. I used to be able to get a seat early in the morning but at the moment that's getting almost impossible. I start work quite early in the morning so where do all these extra people come from? Have people suddently started getting to work earlier to avoid the congestion? I could try taking an even earlier train but I rarely get home from work before 8pm and that is starting to have an impact.

Baumer

23-02-2009 10:49 AM

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here before, but does anyone else agree that we need direct trains to Charing X all day, not just in the evening?

There would be a few significant benefits for all:

- For people like me who work in the west end it obviously takes a change (and about 20 mins) out of the journey

- For anyone using London Bridge, it would greatly reduce congestion there as so many people change onto the Charing X trains.

- We all know the mad panic early between 6pm and 8pm to get on a train at London Bridge. Earlier trains direct from Charing X would reduce the number of people fighting each other to run to the platforms every night.

It seems strange to me that these direct trains only run in the evening, anyone know why?

I was thinking of petitioning the train operator via Facebook or this site. The train schedules will be changing soon with the tube etc so now may be a good time to address it. Am I wasting my time or would other people support this?

Cheers

Nick

Ghis

23-02-2009 11:41 AM

Nick, I am with you on this one. If you get a group together on Facebook or via petition count me in.

ChrisR

23-02-2009 11:51 AM

When I first moved to Forest Hill 20 years ago there used to be off-peak through trains to Charing Cross every day (2 per hour Monday - Saturday and 1 per hour on Sunday). I seem to remember services were cut back to evenings and Sundays only when Charing Cross station was reburbished back in the 90's, which I think necessitated some of the platforms being closed. Of course when all the work was finished the off-peak Mon -Sat day service never resumed. Also I think there is a limit on how many trains per hour can use Charing Cross, and as our line is only 1 of a few routes that are operated out of Charing Cross by Southern I guess South Eastern get more preference. There must be a capacity problem at Charing Cross as well because I've heard that since the winter timetables were introduced in December South Eastern have switched some Charing Cross services to Cannon St instead.

Don't forget as well that the Thameslink project is going to reduce services going to/through London Bridge so whilst I support the idea of more through services to Charing Cross I fear the chances of us getting them are close to 0!

ambient
No longer registered

23-02-2009 12:53 PM

Whilst I would support this, I think it's unlikely to go anywhere, because the long term plan is for Forest Hill to be part of the Thameslink network from 2015, which will mean direct trains to Blackfriars, St Pancras and beyond. And with the construction disruption at London Bridge in the meantime, preference will be given to Southeastern services to Charing X and we will have the capacity increase from the ELL from next summer, so there will be more pressing needs for the remaining LB->Charing X slots than us.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  South Eastern trains from Forest Hill nottinghillbilly 14 8,212 14-06-2022 09:01 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  No trains this weekend from Forest Hill hillview 0 2,894 16-06-2017 12:14 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Speed of cars from Honor Oak Park/Forest Hill road - does it bother anyone? paddygirl 15 19,806 16-03-2013 10:48 AM
Last Post: daveherne
  Planting at Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Stations - 20th October michael 6 9,024 15-10-2012 09:00 PM
Last Post: Anotherjohn
  Move to Forest Hill or Honor Oak Park? ourkid025 14 29,325 14-11-2011 03:57 PM
Last Post: rmurraywest
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak on the ELL nevermodern 1 5,435 20-05-2010 03:55 PM
Last Post: NewForester
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Secrets Cellar Door 4 8,833 23-01-2008 05:34 PM
Last Post: billham