SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (15): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »
Horniman Museum and Gardens
Londondrz

06-03-2008 10:30 AM

Re reading this thread I am actually quite suprised that I am able to defend the Horniman "as it's only a cafe". My wife reminded me of stopping for lunch at a petrol service station in South Africa and her amazement at the clean, tidy service station and the wonderful food. If South Africa can get it right at a petrol station why cant England in a premier attraction like the Horniman?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

06-03-2008 11:04 AM

Yes you would have thought that the franchise for such a well known institution would have demanded higher quality produce. Seems like school dinners.
I guess our complaints should be aimed at The Museum who presumable renew license every year.

thenutfield

29-03-2008 01:18 AM

you would think though, that a museum founded on the tea trade would be able to serve a decent cup of tea!

And now it seems that not only are our children not welcome in pubs, they are not welcome in museum cafes either (unless strapped to a chair leg). What next? the child-catcher with his horse and cart?Wink

Gep

01-04-2008 05:52 PM

I totally agree! Mainly upset for the quality: being a cafe inside a museum and with such a nice setting I can understand the higher prices. But even starbucks makes a better coffee...

seeformiles

03-04-2008 10:26 PM

Er Nutfield...as I'm sure you do realise I'm not advocating children are chained down, but that *some* parents take sensible steps to stop their kids running around inside a cafe like it is a playground.

Why always this persistence in ignoring what is being said?
Convenient point-scoring as usual.

It just annoyed me to see the same old glib answer ie that anyone who is affected by the behaviour of a selfish few (no I'm not going to blame the children) should be banished elsewhere - in this case into the conservatory.

thenutfield

03-04-2008 11:04 PM

just a joke, seeformiles. No offence intended.

admin
Administrator

11-04-2008 08:26 PM

Our friends at the Tewkesbury Lodge Estate Residents Association inform us there is to be a public meeting in the Dutch Barn, Horniman Gardens, at 2pm on Sun 27nd April.

The plans for the Gardens will be available for viewing, and after a presentation from Museum staff, there will be an opportunity to ask questions.

Refreshments will be available. Everyone welcome.

admin
Administrator

22-04-2008 11:41 AM

For more information on what will be discussed see this.

vipes

24-04-2008 02:49 PM

Just read this interesting thread on our neighbours' site

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/...p?5,117947

and it got me thinking in advance of Sunday's meeting, which I unfortunately can't make, about the frequent occasions last summer when dogs in the Horniman Gardens caused me stress. In my humble opinion in this idyllic little park, dogs and people (especially little ones) do not mix.

Last year there were frequently yoof in there with terrifying terriers - very strong scary dogs they clearly couldn't handle. Shrubs and trees were stripped of branches and bark by the ONLY training they did seem to get - for their jaws by hanging the dogs from trees - yes, true and all the better to clamp round human flesh. I frequently saw (and intervened with) less unapproachable looking owners letting their dogs poop on the lower field and not pick it up. These concerns have been multiplied ten-fold by having a curious energetic toddler who can't tell a poop from mud and thinks all dogs are like the cute puppy on Big Barn Farm.

I KNOW there are considerate dog owners who will be irate at the suggestion and who have spent time training their dogs and who do pick up their poop etc etc but in the absence of any easy way to distinguish them my suggestion is to BAN all dogs from the Horniman. Get a good little swing park in the Horniman, turn the Triangle into a dog zone where they can fight and **** all day long and stop causing the neurotic non-dog owning majority so much anxiety.

Is there any way this could be put this on the agenda for Sunday?

Sherwood

24-04-2008 03:31 PM

If they are hanging their dogs from the trees they are training them to fight. You should report this to the Police/RSPCA for investigation.

Applespider

24-04-2008 04:42 PM

Or alternatively, keep the kids on harnesses to stop them picking up poop and banish them to the Triangle where there's already a perfectly good swing park to stop the neurotic non-childrearing majority from being disturbed by squealing kids.

The majority of both parents and dog-owners are polite, pleasant, clean up after their respective charges and don't cause a problem to other users of the park. It seems harsh to penalise either of these groups and banish them to the less pleasant surroundings of the triangle for the sins of a few.

Perhaps we just need an effective way to reporting anti-social behaviour so they can be removed from the park. Ye old park-keeper perhaps?

I do use the Horniman Gardens regularly in the summer and can honestly say that I wasn't caused stress by any dog-owner. Any poop was promptly picked up and they never rampaged through my picnic. On the other hand, I did have a few accidentally mishit footballs whack me but, tongue-in-cheek first paragraph aside, I wouldn't suggest banning kids as a result. The Gardens are public places and I don't expect the same level of privacy and behaviour as I'd get in a private garden.

vipes

24-04-2008 05:16 PM

So you in your regular trips to the park you never came across teenage kids getting dragged along by an aggresive looking cross-breed? Well I must have been frequently unlucky. Not sure how you can equate kids mishitting footballs and squealing with an unprovoked savaging by a dog trained to injure - as per the link.

Cellar Door

24-04-2008 06:38 PM

vipes wrote:
Is there any way this could be put this on the agenda for Sunday?

Vipes, I should think that this link below, provided by admin, may give you an opportunity to get your concern/proposal on this Sunday's agenda.

It's highly likely that this Sunday's meeting is chiefly about the presentation of the plans for the garden by Museum staff and then an opportunity to ask questions about the plans.

Reading the Horniman Gardens development page on the link below I observe that one of the areas they are considering is ?Re- landscaping some areas to provide quiet areas, activity areas and better picnic spaces.?

This may be the part of their strategy that appeals to you and hopefully will cause you less stress this coming summer.

In your absence, you may find another forum reader who is attending Sunday's meeting, and who feels passionate about banning dogs, to step forward and raise this in the question time?

admin wrote:
For more information on what will be discussed see this.

(The quote above was lifted from the Sun 27nd April 2pm: Public Meeting re Redevelopment of Horniman Gardens thread.)

Applespider

25-04-2008 12:33 AM

Perhaps I have been lucky but I've obviously missed them - or sit in a different area of the Gardens.

I did say that part of my post was tongue-in-cheek but while I deplore aggressive dogs and feel dreadfully sorry for the child who was attacked, I do also believe that the majority of dog-owners are responsible and don't want aggressive dogs so I'd have to disagree with a proposal to ban all dogs. And no, I'm not a dog owner.

You haven't been attacked or threatened by any dog in the Horniman. You've just seen some which made you stressed. I wasn't comparing the equivalent dangers, I was merely pointing out that what stresses/irritates one person may not bother another.

sue

25-04-2008 01:21 PM

Unless there's been a change since I last went to the park, dogs are only allowed off the lead in one area of the park, the section with the concrete at the bottom corner. Elsewhere dogs have to be kept on a lead. This arrangement always seems to have worked quite well in the past, and I have never been bothered by dogs. I certainly wouldn't picnic in the field where the dogs run free. This arrangement seems to keep everyone happy, although I accept dog owners need to abide by the rules for this to work, and for the most part it does.

brian

25-04-2008 03:29 PM

I do not wish to be controversal ( heaven forbid ) but I would welcome ban on dogs in se23

Times I have trodden in dog mess.

I am of course waiting for the outburst from canine owners.

Jane2

25-04-2008 03:36 PM

In theory yes dogs are only supposed to be off the lead in the back section of the park, (and so I always stay away from that area), but I've frequently come across dog poo in other areas which suggests that there are plenty of dog owners who are either letting their dogs off the lead in the non-designated areas, or letting their dogs poop whilst they are on the lead and not picking it up.

I haven't come across any aggressive dogs in the Horniman gardens personally, (although I have come across them elsewhere in Forest Hill, and as I also have a curious and fearless toddler I am quite wary of them - particularly as one of those bull mastiff types almost went for my daughter not long ago. Luckily it was on a lead, and I was standing next to her, or I dread to think what could have happened).

It does seem a difficult combination though - a family-friendly museum, and a dog-exercise area!! Especially when the Horniman Park isn't exactly massive.

And as for the Triangle playground being 'a perfectly good swing park' I wouldn't call it that! Its adequate, but could certainly do with a bit of a revamp!

vipes

25-04-2008 04:15 PM

Not sure about a postcode-wide ban Brian and dog mess is infuriating but only life threatening when you eat it. I agree it's too small a space for excercising dogs and it renders a whole area unsuitable for kids. The museum DO need to decide who they prioritise. However, I have a nagging suspicion that appeasing the many dog-lovers within the vocal and disproportionately powerful Tewksbury Lodge Residents' Association (under whose banner, I note, the meeting on Sunday is arranged) plays no small part in any decision the musem might make about this.

No I'm talking most here about the unpredictable impulsive sharp-toothed bags of mongrel muscle that tug along their delinquent owners (leads make no difference here Sue). I and my wife came across them in the Horniman repeatedly last summer so looks like we have been repeatedly unlucky.

Attacks by these dogs are up 40% in the last 5 years and (Applespider) I have been run at by these dogs twice while running and it's downright scary. This isn't about "privacy" it's about safety. There is little police can do to intervene unless there are repeated attacks by the same dog or a one off attack that leads to death or near death - let alone much a park keeper can do. What criteria would you suggest for excluding these dogs? You say behaving antisocially. Not sure this is precise enough to allow park keepers to feel confident letting in docile Labrador and then barring snarling pit bull cross.

There is one workable solution. Ban them all. Send them over the road. What do dogs care if their surroundings are "unpleasant"? Anyway it's supposedly pleasant enough for small children. You are equating the rights of dog owners and parents Applespider and I'm sorry but it's another example of our country's bizzare and often contemptuous attitude to children.

Red67

25-04-2008 04:23 PM

Guess what? The residents living around the triangle park certainly WOULD care if there was any serious chance of it being turned into a dog toilet I can assure you of that much.....

vipes

25-04-2008 04:30 PM

Maybe Brian is onto something...

Pages (15): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Horniman Museum to open until 9pm once a month rbmartin 0 600 25-03-2024 07:36 PM
Last Post: rbmartin
  Car Crashed through fence in Horniman gardens nottinghillbilly 2 2,153 19-04-2023 05:55 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Horniman Gardens on BBC Gardeners' World StuartG 0 2,466 07-08-2022 12:28 PM
Last Post: StuartG
  The Original Jerk Cookout @ The Horniman Gardens 31st July 2021 samuelsen 0 2,757 17-06-2021 06:05 PM
  Feedback on the Horniman ideas for the future of the Museum and Gardens HornimanMuseum 12 9,721 30-07-2019 03:42 PM
  Arts Award Summer School for Young People at the Horniman Museum HornimanMuseum 0 3,918 23-07-2018 03:20 PM
Last Post: HornimanMuseum
  Florence and the Machine and the roof of the Horniman Museum michael 1 4,810 01-07-2018 05:20 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Horniman Museum review in The Guardian website BigED 0 3,413 28-06-2018 12:49 PM
Last Post: BigED
  Farmers' market in the Horniman Gardens isaglanzer 218 179,571 18-09-2014 04:17 PM
Last Post: michael
  Horniman Gardens works roz 32 36,078 06-08-2013 01:43 PM
  Horniman Museum & Popup Butchers on Londonist Out Loud RussB 0 4,138 07-12-2012 09:07 PM
Last Post: RussB
  Library at the Horniman Museum orange 11 11,735 22-03-2012 05:15 PM
Last Post: orange
  1934 Horniman Museum poster ruthb 2 7,008 18-10-2011 10:47 AM
Last Post: ruthb
  Any Film Of Horniman Museum? yomster 0 3,898 11-08-2011 12:10 PM
Last Post: yomster
  Horniman Museum Funding SpringCat 27 30,221 18-11-2010 03:55 PM
  Horniman Museum Entrance Closed Thistleblower 2 5,573 21-07-2010 06:08 PM
Last Post: Les
  Should the Jerk Cookout be at Horniman Gardens? admin 4 8,714 17-08-2009 01:21 PM
Last Post: roz
  Picnic in Horniman Gardens - Sunday, June 7th michael 6 11,560 07-06-2009 05:00 PM
Last Post: robwinton