SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
At last - The Green Chain Walk comes to SE23!
Ian Bull

14-09-2010 03:12 AM

Hullo everyone,

Good news! London's long distance footpath network is finally arriving in SE23. Yes, on Sunday 26th the Green Chain Walk's long awaited extension from Crystal Palace to Nunhead will open.

There will be an opening ceremony followed by a walk along the route, both of which everyone on SE23.com is most welcome as are your friends and families.

We'll start from Nunhead station at 2pm and make our way into Nunhead Cemetery for the 'Ribbon Cutting' ceremony. We then progress via Camberwell New Cemetery, One Tree Hill, Camberwell Old Cemetery and, Horniman Gardens (Public Conveniences available) to Sydenham Hill Woods Nature Reserve. Here we'll take the extensions branch to Dulwich Park where a reception with refreshments will take place between 3.30-4.00pm, perhaps a little later. We'll have covered just under five miles. There will be the option of a flatter route via Brenchley Gardens avoiding the steep climb up One Tree Hill.

For those wishing to enjoy the whole route we'll continue from the Dulwich Park reception back down the branch to Sydenham Hill Woods and make our way through the rest of the Nature Reserve to the former Upper Sydenham railway station, High Level Drive and Crystal Palace Park for buses and trains home. We'll be there by 6pm and will have done just over 7 miles.

As many of you will know from previous walks along the proposed route it really is very pleasant and that's without the reception! The ridge of land between Nunhead and Crystal Palace affords wonderful views and the greenery throughout makes the course feel almost rural.

The walk will be led by Mark Budd, the Green Chain Walk's Project Officer, and myself on behalf of Walk London. If you'd like further details contact Mark at mark.budd@greenchain.com . We both very much look forward to seeing you.

Also feel free to contact me if required. ianbull at btinternet dot com or 020 7223 3572.

If you'd like to make it a Green Chain walking weekend, Saturday 25th sees the fifth opportunity to join the remarkably enjoyable 'Green Chain Megawalk'. This isn't through SE23 so I'll put the details in 'Beyond SE23'.

See - http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3460

All the best

Ian Bull

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

14-09-2010 12:38 PM

Hi, is this practical for buggies? We have a three wheeler that could probably cope with difficult terrain but also a MaClaren. We managed a good traipse around the Suffolk marshes earlier in the summer with same. We'd probably have to avoid the One Tree Hill option and go via Brenchley Gardens.

Ian Bull

14-09-2010 01:35 PM

Hullo Roz,
No problems for buggies etc. except at Sydenham Hill Woods where there are gates and flights of steps. They'd have to be lifted and/or carried a few times.
All the best - Ian

Ian Bull

24-09-2010 02:58 AM

Hullo again Roz,

I had a look today and yes, buggies will have to be lifted over a kissing gate once if you want to go to Dulwich. To complete the walk to Crystal Palace you'll have to negotiate two more, one of which is quite difficult.

I hope that doesn't put everyone off!

Ian

ceetee

30-09-2010 05:50 PM

Great, but any chance of the website for Green Chain being updated to include a map for this route??? I logged on to get one and it is not there.

Ian Bull

01-10-2010 02:12 AM

Hullo Ceetee,

Pleased you enjoyed it. So did I, very good company.

Yes, the GCW already has new maps and I'm attaching one of them. I spoke to their office about this a couple of days ago and I'm assured that printed versions will be available shortly. I've no doubt the website won't be far behind, or possibly in front!

Southwark decided to open the extension with barely any notice. I think the GCW (which is run by Greenwich) is responding very well given the surprise and sparsity of funds.

All the best

Ian Bull

Attached File(s)
.pdf File  Launch route map .pdf (Size: 371.41 KB / Downloads: 757)
Ian Bull

01-10-2010 02:38 AM

Hullo everyone,

Many thanks to all who braved the weather and attended the opening of the Green Chain Walk's extension on Sunday 26th. Thanks also to those who took part in the fifth Crystal Palace to Erith 'Megawalk' on Saturday 25th.

It was a real pleasure, on both days, to walk with such splendid people. I'm sorry I couldn't speak with more of you. The penalty of being stuck at the front...

I had my work cut out. About 200 people participated on the 26th, I wonder how many more there'd have been with better weather?

The railway to Crystal Palace High Level station closed in 1954. Since then it's been a well trodden route, not least by my fellow railway enthusiasts. The Green Chain footpath network opened in 1977 and adding the old railway was first mooted decades ago. Publicly financed mootings began about seven years ago. Today's route follows the line less closely but I hope you'll agree that the landscape and views are the better for that.

Now that the extension is with us you might like to follow the Green Chain a little further, perhaps a lot further. It's well worth it! One of the participants on Saturdays Megawalk has placed an insight into what's East of Crystal Palace online. If I put the link here his bandwidth would be exceeded very rapidly! But, if you send me a PM, I'll supply said link.

There will be more walks on the Green Chain over the last weekend in January. I hope the moderators won't mind if I post some details here.

Again, thank you all for being such great company and I hope you enjoyed last weekend's walks as much as I did.

All the best

Ian Bull

ceetee

01-10-2010 09:16 AM

Ian, thank you! Planning to have another crack at it this weekend (weather permitting!)

Ian Bull

11-10-2010 01:13 AM

Hullo CeeTee,

Hope you finished! It's been a lovely weekend for walking.

When the days are longer and if Walk London, the GCW itself, and their insurers are happy I'm thinking about a 28 mile 'Super Megawalk' from Nunhead to Erith. There's already some call for this!

Best

Ian

ceetee

13-10-2010 04:58 PM

Hi Ian, yes we walked it and it was great! Easy peasy, so well signposted no chance of getting lost! Totally recommend it for anyone, facinating. All I have to to now is try to find my great great grandpa in Nunhead Cemetary! Thanks a million. I think you may be on your own with the 28 miles....though it sounds fabulous. Have done the part of the Green Chain near Abbey Wood, lovely in Spring with the bluebells.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Green Chain Walk Ian Bull 0 2,758 11-10-2018 01:49 AM
Last Post: Ian Bull
  Free guided walk - 29th January - Green Chain Ian Bull 1 4,635 28-01-2011 02:24 PM
  Green Chain Walk - Info and more nice walks! Ian Bull 4 7,118 20-05-2010 04:06 PM
  Green Chain Walk - FHSoc liz 7 8,644 26-05-2008 09:12 AM
Last Post: billham