SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Rubbish in Honor Oak
hopper

22-06-2010 11:31 AM

Is anyone else really fed up with flats leaving rubbish bins out on the pavement on the south side of Honor Oak Park?

It's disgusting - overflowing bins, rotting carpets etc on the pavements. I've asked Lewisham a couple of times to do something about it but there they are again, every week, and unsurprisingly the refuse workers are refusing to empty them.

What can we do?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
eddiet

22-06-2010 07:12 PM

If Lewisham aren't acting then I would think about a different way of letting them know.

They've got a good website based reporting system for graffiti, flyposting, bins, etc etc. They even have an iphone app I think to help. Also you can send them a picture message of the problem.

I've reported several bits of flytipping around the place and this seems to get it cleared quickly.

www.lovelewisham.org

If that doesn't fix it - try your local ward councillor.

Londondrz

22-06-2010 07:14 PM

Just give it a few days, some "bored" yoof will set fire to it.

Yasmine

22-06-2010 08:53 PM

We have the same problem in Forest Hill. Increasingly more residents find it acceptable to leave their own rubbish and recycling bins out on the pavement. Lewisham council does not seem to care. Other residents seem not to notice or care...So we shall all clutter the streets with our own bins soon.

hopper

23-06-2010 09:34 AM

Thanks for this tip - much appreciated. I'll report it now.

tripandfuschia

30-06-2010 09:39 PM

I have had long conversations trying to get Lewisham to take action against a particular property, rubbish left out in open containers put out half an hour after the rubish lorry has been and being left out for the week until next time etc blowing around all over the place every week, These open topped containers being used instead of the wheelie bins. Wheelie bins left out for a whole year ( never once being put away) , also untaxed cars on the road, also the landlord showing new prospective tenants around stepping over the food waste rubbish ( 4 or 5 bin liners full which foxes had opened), plastic 5 litre water bottles filled with sump oil . Lewisham would not believe me. They insisted there was no rubbish and no untaxed cars. They had sent their environmental officers to look. When asked how come DVLA had clamped the cars if they were not untaxed they didnt reply. When sent photos of the rubbish they said they would write to the landlord. As if he would worry about that, anyone capable of showing prospective tenants around who have to step over rotting food waste to reach the front door and not feeling the need to clean it up is not going to worry about receiving a letter. In the end I cleared the rubbish up. I didnt deal with the sump oil as I think it is toxic waste, the new tenants hired a skip at their own expense toclear all the rubbish from the back garden. The council really didnt help at all. Some authorities do seem to enforce basic rules for the few that choose not to follow them but Lewisham seems not to.

Ghis

02-07-2010 09:53 AM

I noticed the bins have now council labels telling the residents why they had not taken away their rubbish. I hope they take notice and start acting more responsibly. In the meantime if the council has noticed and made a record of it maybe they will sort it out. Otherwise we can fload the Love Lewisham site with pictures of the bins http://www.lovelewisham.org/

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields