SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
'Let & managed by' signs
jalapeno

16-10-2009 08:01 AM

Does anyone know the law on how long these signs can be left outside a property?
I thought it was 14 days from the granting of the tenancy. An estate agent has just put one back outside our flats about 18 months after letting the property. Just a case of trying their luck with a bit more advertising I think. Just want to be clear on the law before approaching them.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
paul91

17-10-2009 06:27 PM

please if you do find a answer to that can you let me know as well
thanks

Londondrz

18-10-2009 05:21 PM

Will ask the wife who is in the industry. Also just noticed that all of the estate agents signs on the new block of flats that was built on the cadets parade ground had been pulled down. She did mention that if the council see them lying on the ground the agents who own the boards are liable for a fine of ?80 for each board.

HINT HINT!!!!

Londondrz

19-10-2009 08:38 AM

The good lady wife is unsure about letting but does know it is 2 weeks for sales. She is checking on the lettings side and will report back soon.

jalapeno

19-10-2009 08:49 AM

Thanks Londondrz.

I usually take them down and dump them, although I would lay it on the pavement outside the estate agent if I didn't think it would be a hazard for pedestrians. Or shove it through their letterbox.

I too saw the pile outside the ex cadets flats and had to smile. A lot also routinely build up on London Rd outside Eliot Bank before someone culls them.

Mummycat

19-10-2009 08:54 AM

Once a property has been let through an agency, Landlords are asked that if they were happy with the service, could a board be left advertising that service. This is usually negotiable, usually with a promise in reduction of percentage of the fees.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

19-10-2009 01:44 PM

Good old T&CP Act:

"Estate Agents Boards

Estate Agents advertising are governed by the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisement) Regulations 2007.

* Rules for displaying estate agent boards
* Reporting unlawfully displayed boards
* Contact us

Rules for displaying estate agent boards

How many Estate Agent boards are permitted to be displayed on a property?
The law states that not more than one advertisement, consisting of a single board or two joined boards is permitted. If more than one board is displayed then the first board to be displayed will be deemed as the lawful advertisement.

What can be displayed on a Estate Agent Board?
No advertisement may be displayed indicating that the land or premises has been sold or let, unless an additional advertisement or a statement that a sale or let has been agreed or is subject to contract.

What size should the advertisement be?
Adverts relating to residential use or development are permitted to be 0.5 square metres, or if two joined up boards then an aggregate of 2.3 square metres is permitted.

How long can the advertisement be displayed
The advertisement must be removed within fourteen days after completion of a sale or the grant of tenancy.

How far can the advertisement be projected from the building?
The maximum projection from a building face is 1 metre

How high should the advertisement be?
No part of the advertisement should be higher above the ground than 4.6 Metres, or 3.6 metres in an area of special control

Can the advertisement be illuminated?
Estate Agent advertisements are not permitted to be illuminated."

jalapeno

20-10-2009 10:40 AM

Great, thanks IWAF.
Seems very clear.

Happysnapper

22-10-2009 03:58 PM

My grandad once made a great bird table using the pole of a lettings sign that had been around for too long...

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields