SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Social Clubs for the elderly in SE23
Tersie

07-05-2009 09:43 AM

I have recently become friendly with a lovely 86 year old man who has become by adopted grandad. He lives in Peckham but travels to his wife's grave in Honor Oak every day come rain or shine. There are no clubs or social activities for him to attend in his area which is isolating for him. I am wondering if there are any groups around Honor Oak / Forest Hill area who have social events or trips that he could get involved with. I do try and take him out between work commitments from time to time but I think a social group would be really good for him. Any suggestions would be really welcome Smile

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

07-05-2009 09:49 AM

I have seen things advertised in Lewisham Life and there was I think some sort of club in Stanstead Road. Hopefully that will be a start. Have you also thought about contacting Age Concern? I believe there are a few lunch clubs around.

What a nice idea to adopt him! I did read a newspaper article a few years ago about an elderly gentleman who advertised for a new family and his relationship with the family who responded and how it vastly improved all their lives.

Tersie

07-05-2009 09:59 AM

Thanks Roz - that is appreciated, I will look into that. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

It has been really nice to 'adopt' him, my grandparents both passed away before I was born so it is nice to have him to talk to and spend time with. He is an ex service man and was born and bred in South east london so he has lots of interesting stories. He has met my family and they all love him! I think Age concern may well have some kind of 'adoption' scheme where they match up elderly folk with people in thier area who are willing to spend time with them.

brian

07-05-2009 10:07 AM

Yes what a wonderfull thing to do.
I visit many elderly people who were friends of my parents but do not do it because I feel I ought to but because they are excellent company.
Would be nice if there are clubs but most elderly tend to have a network who visit each others house. Problem is the network gets smaller and smaller then the last person is alone.

Tersie

07-05-2009 10:49 AM

Yes Brian that is the unfortunate thing. My friend Jim was nursing his sick wife at home for 3 years before she died and during this time lost contact with friends, or either they have passed away now. I am going to pop down to Seniors on Stansted Road to see what they do down there. Will pop info on here in case there are others out there who might want to find out more.

JaneD

07-05-2009 11:20 AM

I'm sure I've seen leaflets for an 'over-55s' club at Forest Hill Library. I think the activities are really aimed at slightly older retired people who are free during the day.

nevermodern

12-05-2009 05:42 PM

There's an article in this month's SE23 magazine about activities for pensioners. Two are mentioned:

"Seniors at 260 Stanstead Road....is open daily from 9.30 to 4.30 with cafe facilities and a huge range of activities and day trips for members. Call in or phone Mary Jeremiah on 020 8291 1164 to find out more."

An over 55s group meets in Forest Hill Library on the first Monday of each month from 10.30 to 12 for refreshments and an activity or guest speaker (pick up a programme in the library for details of what's coming up)."

There's also other information in the magazine on services for older folk. Follow the link and go to page 17 of the Forest Hill mag.

http://www.semagazines.co.uk/

Tersie

18-05-2009 09:53 AM

Hi Nevermodern, that is great. I am going to get him down to Seniors, they will have some nice trips and social things for him Smile

squiglet

14-06-2010 01:16 PM

Hi,

Please tell me you're all still logging on here! I'm doing a project about the Blitz 1940-41- please see this site:

http://sites.google.com/site/alexcarters...Home/blitz

It started as an evening of Blitz songs, but it's now much more of a community project; I've been interviewing local residents in Sydenham/Penge/Forest Hill and nearby areas to hear in particular their stories and accounts of life in 1940. These stories are being woven into a reading by a local actor, and there will be Imperial War Museum film footage.

Do you think your adopted grandad would be interested in being interviewed by me? I'd love to chat to him!

Best wishes,
Alex Carter

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Man caught on CCTV using credit card stolen from elderly SE23 lady hillview 0 3,223 24-09-2018 07:42 AM
Last Post: hillview