SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Lewisham Homes and Service Charges
crossfields

14-04-2009 02:08 PM

Down in Deptford we leaseholders on Crossfields Estate are also facing a 50% hike in service charges.

Annoyingly I noted that Lewisham Homes tenants are being protected from a 6.2% rental increase by a grant from the government.
http://www.lewishamlibdems.org.uk/news/0...eases.html

I also note from Lewisham Homes' website (www.lewishamhomes.org.uk)
in the minutes of the Board Meeting in March 2009 on page 99 http://www.lewishamhomes.org.uk/editpics/1434-1.pdf, a page of accounts which show that they get ?75million in rental income and ?3m from leaseholders.

In the Audit Commission's report on Lewisham Homes (February 2009) they identify the following as Key Weaknesses:
- Service charges for leaseholders had previously been incorrectly calculated or inaccurately identified.
- Leaseholders had not been charged for all the services from which they derive benefit and future bills will rise as a consequence.

(See: http://tinyurl.com/AuditComLewHomes - particularly pages 40-43)

The Audit Commission, whilst identifying literally hundreds of Key Weaknesses in Lewisham Homes' performance, with this wording, seems to have given them carte blanche to charge what they like.

We're not sure what to do, other than only pay what we paid last year, until we have received credible answers as to why the charges have gone up so extortionately...a policy that may get us all in trouble with the law, since we'd be breaking our contracts.

Let's pool resources on this. Write to your councillors and MP, and to Lewisham Homes board members...

I'd be going to the press but I hate them (and I'll never forget my mother's campaign against Thames Water back 2002 that saw her on the front page of her local rag, knee deep in sewage - they won their case eventually and it precipitated Thames Water rolling out a huge sewage renewal programme - but I don't wanna be on any front pages!)....

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
Lewisham Homes and Service Charges - Gep - 28-03-2009, 11:23 AM
RE: Flats and Service Charges - Gep - 04-04-2009, 11:04 AM
RE: Flats and Service Charges - brian - 04-04-2009, 11:18 AM
RE: Lewisham Homes and Service Charges - crossfields - 14-04-2009 02:08 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lewisham Homes Development Site in Wood Vale admin 3 5,563 21-01-2016 10:50 AM
Last Post: sandy
  Evict Foreign Nationals from Lewisham Council Homes, Demands MP Candidate George Whale 20 22,166 03-05-2015 08:11 AM
Last Post: pixysunflower
  Lewisham Homes or Lewisham Council spacey 5 9,840 11-06-2009 08:51 AM
Last Post: Sherwood