SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Eliot Bank School
erasmus

03-02-2009 03:03 PM

We are moving back into the area after a stint abroad and are looking for school places in Forest Hill and East Dulwich. Does anyone know Eliot Bank school? I know it has a very good ofsted report but am looking for some first hand views. Thanks.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

03-02-2009 03:26 PM

I went there 25 years ago and I now know a couple of teachers as well as a couple of people who live close to the school. I have only heard good things about it and it generally has a very good reputation.

The one criticism I have heard is double parking and parking across/in driveways by parents, but children should not be held responsible for the crimes of their parents.

In reality you should choose the school nearest to where you live. I would not recommend travelling from East Dulwich to Elliot Bank for primary school, particularly since they are different boroughs and are more likely to want you to go to the local school.

brian

03-02-2009 03:39 PM

Well said Michael
You should choose the nearest school to where you live to ensure children can walk to school.
I would imagine all the local primaries are much of a muchness

erasmus

03-02-2009 03:51 PM

Thankyou Michael for your comments. Brian, I am not a novice! We live on the cusp between SE22 and SE23 and so Eliot bank is within walking distance and is one of our nearest schools. I think you will hear from many parents that schools are not much of a muchness and that is why I am trying to get some comments from people with "first hand" experience of the school.

Les

03-02-2009 05:28 PM

The owner of my nursery, who lives in Barry Road, sends her daughter there and rates it very highly, having withdrawn her from Goodrich. No special problem with Goodrich but she wasn't getting on with her teacher.

Only second hand info, but generally sounds OK.

essjaygee

04-02-2009 09:20 AM

Hi there, having a son who is going to school next January I have just put in our application!

Eliot Bank has got several outstandings in Ofsted, but not for the grades actually attained (if that matters to you).

It's fine, really. It's not my favourite (largely because they don't have established foreign language teaching yet), but we will probably end up there as it is the closest (as the crow flies..... not by road by any means!)

The son of a friend of mine goes there and she has had a lot of support with his ASD/ADHD. So it's good to know that the school would be equipped to deal with any problems if they arose.

It seems pretty friendly too but just didn't do it for me, unfortunately.

Flowergirl

04-02-2009 12:25 PM

Hi,
My Youngest left in July 07 to go to secondary school, so not sure if this is helpful. Both my children enjoyed attending Eliot Bank, The headteacher is firm and fair in her methods and I found the teaching staff excellent on all levels. I would highly recommend this school to friends and family. Money has been spent upgrade the buildings, overall a nice welcoming environment for learning. Smile

alex78

04-02-2009 01:00 PM

FYl - I believe there is a open morning at the nursery at Eliot Bank planned for next Thursday morning (12th Feb). I think you need to let them know in advance if you plan to attend. I guess you can call the school to confirm. I am planning to take a look with my young son.

Note: Getting a place in the nursery does not guarantee getting a place in the school.

P1971

04-02-2009 01:52 PM

My friends kids go to Eliot Bank and she is very happy with the school. My kids go to Fairlawn in Honor Oak Road which is an excellent school with outstanding ofsted.
Hope this is off help

borderpaul

07-02-2009 07:25 PM

My kids go to EB and are happy there. Academically it probably doesn't get the best results which is more a reflection on the community that it serves than the standard of teaching. The head teacher is good at enforcing discipline on both the students and the parents.

Brian, yes all kids should walk and mine do but it is only natural that parents want the best for their kids and as it's reputation rises so do the number of people driving. None of the places left vacant by kids moving on to other parts of the country or other countries are empty for long.

brian

07-02-2009 07:32 PM

Borderpaul
Yes I appreciate my comment a bit provocative but I think it is important for children to walk to school if possible. Firstly to keep fit and secondly to reduce car miles.
Also I think primary schools especially should be for local children. I am sure children do not want to be driven miles and also like to live near school chums.
Sorry if I upset anybody. Not my intention.
All my 3 schools were half a mile at most.

michael

07-02-2009 07:49 PM

Brian wrote:
All my 3 schools were half a mile at most.

But you could walk to them all in 2 minutes Sneaky

brian

07-02-2009 09:30 PM

Nice one Michael. Not quite but I was faster than I am today . I would say

12 mins to St Philip's Wells Pk Rd
10 mins to St Barts , Kirkdale
10 mins to Dacres Rd School

All from Venner Rd SE26

Growlybear

08-02-2009 11:52 PM

Eliot Bank and Fairlawn are both excellent schools, although Fairlawn is now the most over subscribed school in Lewisham, so you would need to live really close to get offered a place. I would avoid Horniman Primary School like the plague.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

09-02-2009 11:40 AM

What makes you say that growlybear?

brian

09-02-2009 11:51 AM

You are not the only one fuming. Previous poster has made very nasty remarks about a local school with no facts to back it up.

Growlybear

09-02-2009 12:31 PM

I was one of a large number of parents who took their child out of Horniman School because of the poor standard of teaching and behaviour. I persevered with the school for a long time, but felt that my child's education was too important for me not to accept a place at an alternative school.

Satchers

09-02-2009 01:52 PM

Growlybear, how long ago was this? My son started at Horniman in September and it all seems very good to me. I have heard stories about problems a few years back but have to say it is not my experience now?

When we were looking at schools, Elliot Bank just did not seem interested in letting us see the school or meeting any of the pupils, we were only allowed into Reception class. However I know other children who are very happy there too.

roz

09-02-2009 02:57 PM

Choosing a school, or to be more accurate, allowing a school to choose us, will be on our minds in a year or so ,so all this is helpful information. Our first likely candidates will be Horniman and Fairlawn with Eliot Bank probably third. Personally and perhaps selfishly I'll be expressing our first choice as Fairlawn as it is one less hill to climb, unless the promised ski lift arrives! The downside is that Fairlawn is larger than Horniman and a smaller school may suit some children better than others.
My partner was a supply teacher and he has taught at many schools in south London , many of whom were failing schools, and if not were well on their way. I think therefore we do very well in Forest Hill.

roz

09-02-2009 03:30 PM

I also meant to say that my impression from my partner ( I know, not first hand-yet so its all theory) is that there is a huge range of attitudes towards behavioural management and tolerance levels in schools including what constitutes bad behaviour, and a lot of this stems from the personal ethos and personality of the headteacher. Some offer the more laissez- faire approach, teachers on first names, etc approach, others are more formal. I do know of schools who forbid all mention of Halloween as its a pagan festival- and not church schools either. (its not in Lewisham BTW) . I suspect from what I have heard that EB is on the strict end of the continuum. I don't see this as a bad thing. I do however think its important to feel comfortable with the philosophy of each school before sending your children there as you will be incurring it on a day to day basis and more of less experiencing what your children experience!

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lost water pressure in Eliot Bank Herbparis 1 3,286 05-12-2018 11:33 AM
Last Post: BigED
  Proposed New Homes at Eliot Bank & Knapdale Close Herbparis 43 38,583 29-11-2016 12:39 PM
Last Post: Red67
  Eliot Bank Hamilly 5 6,373 22-02-2016 05:39 PM
Last Post: P1971
  Date for your diary: Eliot Bank Summer Fair 20 June sydenhamhiller 0 3,406 09-06-2009 09:23 AM
Last Post: sydenhamhiller
  Eliot Bank School Summer Fair -Saturday 20 June sydenhamhiller 0 3,815 12-05-2009 01:16 PM
Last Post: sydenhamhiller