SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's
nevermodern

13-11-2007 12:52 PM

It really is hard to get enthused about responding to your interesting picture of a forest hill where Mad Max would be quite happily at home - a picture I think most people wouldn't recognise. I could go on about the falling crime figures, FH being a low-crime area in general, the illogicality of criticising both the homeless and schemes to solve the homeless problem, your crude linking of homelessless and Big Issue selling to areas of deprivation (Big Issue sellers gravitate towards areas where there is enough money to keep them off the streets, not to run-down areas where no-one will buy their product, which is why there are so many in Central London). I could mention the number of thriving businesses in FH and the fact that the ones that have folded have done so because they haven't responded to the market adequately, not because there's no money in FH. And I could point to the fact that I visit Sainsbury's almost daily on my way back from work, and yes, she does, as I've said, again, just say, "Big Issue" and wave a copy round a bit. And if you're harassed and harangued by that, you really ought to get out more, read the Daily Mail less, perhaps pay for a few sessions of CBT and then, maybe - just maybe - you'll be a little happier with what you see around you. I could mention all that, but it would be a waste of time, because for some people, the world will always be as hideous as the one you describe. And before you say it, you're not being 'realistic', you're just being you.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's - nevermodern - 13-11-2007 12:52 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's Herbparis 81 85,806 27-01-2011 11:35 AM
Last Post: Dillwihs