SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Beckenham Place Park Golf Course closure
Wynell_Workman

10-09-2016 02:00 PM

Lewisham have decided to close Beckenham Place Golf Course at the end of October.

Whatever your views on golf, this decision will see the end of Public golf in central London. The decision is particularly sad as Lewisham have yet to secure funding for their park regeneration proposals.

Sad times.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Perryman

10-09-2016 08:54 PM

I think golf is poor use of open space in a very densely populated borough. Same goes for cricket.
But we should certainly not lose this space. Even when you are restricted to the woods and paths, it is a lovely place and I regret I haven't made more use of it over the years - it is not that far from us in SE23.

Jaycycle

18-09-2016 09:16 AM

The space will not be lost. I agree that an 18 hole golf course is not the best use of public space. And I thought funding had been secured. Details here
Beckenham Place Park info

Wynell_Workman

18-09-2016 09:53 AM

I'm a golfer and once the course goes, local alternatives to this public course are expensive or difficult to get to without a private transport. It would be a terrible loss to South East London as a whole.

The plans for the park are extraordinarily ambitious considering the small heritage lottery grant available. Given Lewisham's inability to manage the park, I'm not convinced the plans are in place t benefit anyone, let alone golfers.

jollyrog

18-09-2016 10:58 AM

We'll all be worse off when the golf course is gone and £4.5 million later the park becomes a venue for Rap concerts.

longtimegone

16-10-2016 04:16 PM

Beckenham Place park was a gem and I have many happy memories of walking the dog there years and years ago,especially in the early mornings when it was if one had the place to oneself.

The golf course never bothered me, you could get a cup of tea in the cafe and wasn't there a theatrical museum in there at one time?

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Temporary closure of Beckenham Place Park samuelsen 0 3,540 24-07-2019 10:28 AM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Continuing Closure of East end of Sydenham Park outside Electricity Substation shelleypath 2 4,907 12-11-2008 04:00 PM
Last Post: shelleypath
  Beckenham Place Park. brian 3 5,244 27-05-2008 09:32 AM
Last Post: brian