SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next > Last »
Ignore List
P1971

01-02-2016 09:58 PM

Before I post my comment on this I just want to point out that I don't particularly agree with one parties policy over another so I'm not left wing or right.

Personally I wouldn't ever use an "ignore feature" purely because if I comment on a post then I think I should have read all views before I do.

On saying this I quite like what rshdunlop has said & her reasons are for this on another forum.

I am very guilty of getting passionate sometimes publicly and should probably take time to think before I share for my own good but can't help myself for sharing how I feel at the particular time if something means a lot to me or if it is of interest to others in the community.

Hope all that want to access an ignore feature on here are able to - S/O admin :-)

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

01-02-2016 10:25 PM

Interesting assumption, that only left-wing people use ignore lists. How did you make that leap of logic?

Using an 'ignore' list doesn't stop anyone expressing their opinion, it doesn't shut down debate. It's just an automated version of skim reading. Censorship? Don't be daft.

As P1971 said, it would be wrong to comment on a thread where I hadn't read all the comments. So using an ignore function has the added benefit of stopping me from engaging in pointless and frustrating online debate.

And on the point, good night.

OakR

01-02-2016 11:39 PM

Hi Londonrz, no worries, I assumed you were getting at censorship, which is a valid point Smile. My only real experience of censorship was a trip to Myanmar \ Burma many years ago with interesting daily papers and plenty of public signs about 'crushing the enemy' and everyone terrified of talking politics. I'd never advocate something like that, if you took that from my post my apologies. Only a snippet of what you would have experienced of course.

What would the families of the Rotherham girls say about an ignore list on the SE23 forum? Assuming you are referencing the cases think you are, I very doubt they care, I expect they are far more angry about the total lack of action by the police and other relevant local bodies who despite evidence ignored the problem for a long time. Something anyone right \ left \ liberal or no allegiance would be rightly outraged by. It was a disgrace. I doubt they are blaming it on an ignore button on a public form however.

Diane Abbott is awful, I give you that. As for the rest of that sweeping generalization of a paragraph Scared

ForestHillier the reason is that it allows, assuming admin do not want to ban posters (which of course they can do on any forum), for those posters to keep posting and those who want to engage with them can continue to. It stops moderators being constantly bombarded with notifications about posts, and allows people to keep using the forum for some of the reasons rsdunlop mentions, as well as other reasons. It's generally a good compromise and as mentioned if you don't want to use it don't use it and forum life is no different to you at all.

Anyway, I won't lose any sleep over it either way, it is what is it, it's simply for Admin to decide on the route they want to the forum to go down.

P1971

02-02-2016 12:12 AM

Can I just point out we all bleed the same colour of blood at the end of the day. No matter what our beliefs, colour, religion, left or right wing etc etc etc are.

Anyone would be lying if they thought they never made a mistake in life.

Everyone is human and no one is perfect so as far as I'm concerned everyone is entitled to their opinion.

So here ya go!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7MwXniOD44

rshdunlop

02-02-2016 07:00 AM

I'm still perplexed by people calling ignore lists censorship. No one would know who I was ignoring except me. I would know that person had posted - I see a notification in place of the ignored post. I can click on that notification to show the post. No one but me knows this happens on my feed. Every one else's looks exactly the same.

What does it achieve? Very little, I agree. What harm does it do? Exactly none.

ForestHillier

02-02-2016 09:53 AM

Fair enough RS - the choice is always yours

Perryman

02-02-2016 01:55 PM

Quote:
the choice is always yours....

If only.
And so the thread has come full circle.
That is aesthetically pleasing if nothing else.

Tinkerbell

23-02-2016 01:40 PM

I'd like to vote "in" on the great SE23 ignore list debate, please. It would be nice to be given the choice to make one's reading experience a little less tiresome.

Anotherjohn

23-02-2016 04:00 PM

Or you could always look at the poster's name on the left and not read what's to the right of it.

crassbelch
Banned Troll

23-02-2016 04:23 PM

[Post removed due to abuse -admin]

lacb

23-02-2016 04:49 PM

Oh the irony.

crassbelch
Banned Troll

23-02-2016 04:58 PM

Mr_Numbers

24-02-2016 08:05 AM

Quote:
Apparently it's "tiresome" to hear any dissent. Surely the idea of a forum is to consider all opinions?

It's not tiresome to hear any dissent. It's tiresome to hear the same people banging on with the same ideas all the time. No one can read every flippin' comment on every forum or every newspaper or every blog all the time just so they can 'consider all opinions'. We need to filter/edit.

In fact, isn't it one of those trendy lefty things to consider every opinion to be equally valid and worthy of our consideration and respect? Wink

I don't use (or want to use) an 'ignore' list. But I do look at things like the length of the posting and the name of the person who posted it to make a (superquick) decision as to whether reading this is how I want to spend the next 45 seconds of my life...

Pippi

24-02-2016 11:49 AM

'Usually done by very passive-aggressive special interest groups like rad-feminists, who claim victimhood and use this to shut down anyone who disagrees with their politics.'

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHH!

Practically no 'rad-feminist' group or forum with any real cultural cache on the internet (or any media) does this.

Seriously, this dude is a boring sock now, I vote 'in' for ignore list.

crassbelch
Banned Troll

24-02-2016 12:06 PM

rshdunlop

24-02-2016 12:22 PM

Twitter is a poor choice of analogy here. What you see on Twitter is entirely self-selected. You can't do that on this forum. Block lists on Twitter are not to stop you from seeing the tweets of others. They are to stop those people tweeting you. And why do you think certain groups shares lists of people they think it's a good idea to block? Let's ask the Billy Goats Gruff...

Ligersaur

24-02-2016 12:28 PM

^^ Pippi said "Practically", so she was clearly not speaking in absolutes, so your assertion in quotes isn't relevant.

^^ Also, these arrows are annoying. If you want to quote someone, quote them from what they actually said. If you want to refer to an earlier post, refer to their post.

Pippi

24-02-2016 12:54 PM

Ligersaur, I'll bet this guy's favourite author is Ayn Rand or something.......it's just not worth it Closedeyes

Perryman

22-09-2016 03:56 PM

Well I guess I got my wish and the posts from the wind up merchants have dried up. But also those not on my ignore list too.

It is beyond my comprehension how we got to this this current situation, but SE23.com has been a pretty civilised and informative forum from the start and has a very good library of information.

Libraries are not so popular these days, but I'm a remainer all the same - another unpopular position to take these days.

Azira

22-09-2016 06:08 PM

They've migrated to Foxy No-Forriner's new forum, ads for which have been plastered all over Honor Oak Park.

I do sometimes wonder how many of his new members know what his views are.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields