SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
What's the area around Bovill Rd like?
Decker

27-07-2015 09:23 AM

I've been in Forest Hill for 8 years but I've never ventured to the other side very much. Now I've got a friend who wants to move down here to rent but the Horniman side of the tracks is too expensive/no supply.

The area around Boville / Dalmain primary seems pretty nice. Less dense, nice school and lot quieter than this side. I couldn't really find much through a search other than some dog fouling.

The lack of information probably suggests the area is as I described above, pretty quiet / nice.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Druidsplace

28-07-2015 12:11 PM

I've been on this side of the tracks for a while and it's definitely got better over the years. It is fairly quiet - I work from home, and there is rarely any noise outside. There's some commercial traffic using the side streets as a cut through between Brockley Rise and the Malham industrial estate, but no worse than a lot of other places.

Lots of Victorian property from Bovill Road north to Honor Oak Park, more post-war to the south. Few minutes walk to HOP station and One Tree Hill for the green space.

As well as the Honor Oak parade shops (incl. a small Sainsburys), there's the Railway Telegraph, the Honor Oak, Babur and Le Querce - all highly recommended, and the General Napier (for a reminder of how pubs used to be).

OakR

28-07-2015 07:49 PM

Depends what you want I suppose, but your description is about right. Fairly quiet, and just nice.

That area Bovill Road, Garthorne, Whatman Road etc up to the High Street is one of the best bits of HOP in my opinion. Lots of families, neighbours knowing neighbours, generally really friendly. Quick walk to the train and high street, close to Blythe Hill and One Tree Hill as well the Rec by the station and not forgetting Barbur and Querce to eat out at.

If they are coming to party maybe not the best, if they are coming for a nice safe relatively quiet area it's great.

I don't live there by the way but not far on Brockley Rise.

Quick edit just to add, if they are moving here for schools I think Agnew Road some kids did not get in, not sure on the Stillness catchment this year. I kno Dalmain had a lot of siblings this year so maybe it will increase next year to 500/600 metres, I think it was just over 300 metres this year (pre reshuffle).

This post was last modified: 28-07-2015 07:52 PM by OakR.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  History of Bovill Road Area hoppy 3 11,847 10-07-2009 07:32 PM
Last Post: stevegrindlay