SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Tesco, London Road
bigbadwolf

24-09-2008 04:35 PM

Immigration raid on Tesco, London Road - I wasn't there and can't comment but did anyone else see what happened. Please don't shoot me for looking at the East Dulwich forum.

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/...p?5,170995

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

25-09-2008 12:27 PM

Surely questions should be asked at Tesco management. Surely a large employer like them should have safeguards to ensure they are not employing illegals. I hope they are heavily fined.

hilltopgeneral

25-09-2008 03:05 PM

I'd be less worried about them employing illegal immigrants than employing straightforward criminals who clone card details.

Toffeejim

26-09-2008 01:05 PM

Reading the link this looks very much as if it was first and foremost a police raid that happened to be directed at a foreign national. Given the significant number of people involved and that it clearly wasn't aimed at a serious career criminal (or why would they be working in Tesco) I'd wager it was "security" related.

baggydave

27-09-2008 11:15 PM

Is the Tesco's filling station still a frightening place? I put up a thread years ago with a letter to Tesco's about this place and what looked like dodgy dealings and dodgy characters. They couldn't be ******ed to get back to me.

roz

28-09-2008 03:21 PM

BD, you might want to refresh our memories about your letter and the issues of concern. Since our card cloning some months ago attributed by the police to this place, we avoid going in unless we have to and when we do we avoid using cards. I have never felt entirely comfortable in that store and could never put my finger on it; I just felt that some of the staff came across as very uneasy. It also either attracts or encourages diabolical parking and customer behaviour. Perhaps with all the (alleged) card cloning and alleged illegal working they knew that some day the game would be up...

Baboonery

28-09-2008 06:33 PM

Sorry, I just thought I'd mention that I got my card cloned in here a few months ago too. And after it was raised on here. I forgot. Duh.

And it was the only place I'd ever used the card in, so it was definitely there.

ketan

28-09-2008 07:49 PM

wish I'd read this earlier. Used card in there on saturday morning!

Dylan

27-12-2008 11:49 AM

colleague had card cloned he's preety sure at Tesco's Express (it was the last place he used it over the holiday) London Road on Christmas eve don't know how it was done could be from the receipt??
it was items he bought in the shop NOT from the Cash machine
not sure its safe to use cards anywhere at this time of the year!
sainsburys, Forest Hill do of course give cash back

brian

27-12-2008 03:41 PM

Has someone reported these comments to The Met.??

I try to use card little as possible. I always use machine inside bank and rarely pay for anything by card. You can never stop your cards being cloned but you can , I am sure , make it a lot more difficult for the criminals.

roz

28-12-2008 06:16 PM

This happened to my husband earlier this year- again traced back to the same Tesco Metro on London Road- the shop itself not the cash machine. There is another thread somewhere but can't find it. The best place to start is your banks Fraud department- ours knew all about the Metro being a high traffic area for this sort of thing. I don't personally understand how this can keep happening at the same place unless the staff are in on it and know where the cameras are hidden- unless some really sophisticated technology is being used by other customers to trace someones card details after they have been used, which is not improbable. Two days after the card was used at the Metro someone tried to use the copy shopping in New York.

I agree with Brian, its desirable not to use cards at all, or at least to keep their use to a minimum and only at designated outlets. However I believe petrol stations are one of the most regularly hit.

brian

28-12-2008 09:37 PM

I agree Roz but has anybody reported their thoughts to the MET.
Surely this should be matter for the Police if Tesco have a criminal working for them

eddy

28-12-2008 10:26 PM

i think that shop is under franchise
maybe the tesco name but i don't think they are in full control of it.
maybe wrong on this mind you.

i think a joint letter to tesco head office may be in order, if the met and the banks know whats going on its up to tesco to pull the franchise of that place or replace all the staff.

i think the head office is in Cheshunt, Hertfordshire.

rbmartin

31-12-2008 05:17 PM

If I recall Esso still own the site, but Tesco run it on their behalf as part of a deal to put Tesco Express in petrol stations.

I've used the cash machine outside and have had no problems, but have never used my card in that store and won't after reading this thread.

Redalways

02-01-2009 03:38 PM

Funny

My Wife had her Credit Card cloned - the first we knew about it was when it was stopped by the card company due to "irregular" transactions". Nearly ?5k was taken out on it in Canada !

Where was the last place she had used the card ? Why Tesco Express !

brian

02-01-2009 03:40 PM

What is Funny is that so many of you keep reporting incidents but has anyone advised The MET.

nevermodern

03-01-2009 12:25 AM

I think the neighbourhood policing team read this forum. They've contributed before, if I'm not mistaken.

Dylan

03-01-2009 11:45 AM

I e mailed the details through to the Safer Neighbourhood Team
a few days ago - are they supposed to reply to e mails?? perhaps
not? more time wasted on administration hope they follow it up though

Redalways

04-01-2009 06:24 PM

I see this as a crime against the CC companies. We inform them. It was they who told us that the card had been cloned. It is for them to put 2 and 2 together and report it to the police. Their software must know which outlets are the problem.

Ghis

04-01-2009 06:57 PM

When my card was cloned I used this link (this is the online link for the non emergency crime reporting):

https://online.met.police.uk/

It is quick and easy to use and I got a call back a couple of days later from a very helpful local PC. You get a crime reference number and they get the local infomation with any suspicions of where the crime has taken place. All of you who have not reported your cloned cards I would encourage you to use this link.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields