SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Gyms

26-09-2008 11:26 AM

Have heard about all the demand for nice pubs, resturants, wine bars etc which I would like to see but the biggest and perhaps easiest business to open in Forest Hill would be a decent sized gym!

Im desperate for one - where do people currently go? I know there are a couple in East Dulwich but I dont want to have to get in the car. There is also a nasty run down looking Fitness First in Sydenham. Im not interested in ones where I work in the City as I still have to get the train back to Forest Hill afterwards. I want somewhere where I can just walk home after a session,

As far as Im aware - lots of empty dwellings on the Dartmouth road, zero competition and an abundance of young professionals who must demand the same as me. Its a complete winner for everyone!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

26-09-2008 11:41 AM

Sounds a winner yes I agree. Needs someone though to take a gamble. Our last gym , I believe , was at the Pool.
Personally I get my exercise from walking .

Just thought , have you checked Dacres Road School. I know some of their sports facilities are available to the public outside school hours and I would imagine all brand new equipment. Suggest you try them.

Jane

26-09-2008 11:50 AM

Yes - Forest Hill School has a sports hall that's available in evenings and at weekends to public. St Dunstan's also has a gym and swimming pool but when I enquired in the summer it was not at that time available to the public although it used to be.
Pity we have to wait so long for the pool to re-open with decent facilities. Only other option is The Bridge but presumably that's not within walking distance.
Thee is a women only gym on the station approach at Sydenham but have not tried it - at least only one station away. However you have to make an appointment to go there so not really ideal.

michael

26-09-2008 11:57 AM

Is there not a gym in Davids Road?

The plans for the new pool, which we hope will eventually be built, would include gym / fitness equipment and hopefully other facilities as well if there is room and money. With this coming in the next 5-10 years it will discourage anybody else opening up a gym in the immediate area.

If somebody did want to open a gym there are a couple of possible locations. Heron House has a couple of empty floors and the old post office could be converted, although it might be a bit small.

In the meantime, perhaps you could help Johnc by transporting raw meat over Canonbie hill.

nevermodern

26-09-2008 12:06 PM

You're right, Michael. There is a gym on David's Road. Just along and round the corner from the Hob. Smile

shzl400

26-09-2008 12:18 PM

Quote:
Is there not a gym in Davids Road?

I always got the impression it was a "muscle" gym, rather than a "keep fit" gym (if you see what I mean). Any way, isn't that where Rubbadubs nursery is - or just part of it?

Elizabeth25

26-09-2008 01:39 PM

The one on Davids Rd is a bit 'boys only'. I tried it out one day and a guy walked into the ladies loo/changing facilities and said."Oh, I'm sorry. There is usually no one in here."

Tinkerbell

26-09-2008 03:37 PM

Funny, I've been thinking that for a while now. There's a council/private partnership one in East Dulwich, but it's not very big. The Fitness First in Beckenham is quite nice and I go there sometimes, but it means taking the car. I'd definitely sign up if a decent "fitness" based gym with some classes would open in the area.

Applespider

26-09-2008 04:31 PM

There's an LA Fitness in Sydenham which although not as shiny and new as some of them isn't too bad.

I've only been up there on a Sunday afternoon though when it was pretty empty. They do classes although the comments on the noticeboard did suggest that they were rather busy.

Have never used the pool there so can't comment on that.

ketan

26-09-2008 05:03 PM

to

I thought there was a sports centre where brockley rise meets stanstead road. I know there is a football field (5 a side). It's discreetly tucked away behind on grove close off brockely rise.

anyone else know which one I am talking about.

ks

hoppy

27-09-2008 09:05 AM

think its part of a school isn't it?

Toffeejim

27-09-2008 10:16 AM

The gym on Davids Road is in two parts: the heavy lifting goes on downstairs but there is a fitness centre upstairs. It's all run by the companionable Dave from Swansea (who does indeed go home to Swansea at the weekends). I know a couple of women who've gone there and felt perfectly comfortable. It's also good value.

michael

27-09-2008 10:44 AM

Toffee Gym - now there's an idea for a business Thumbup

calvin

27-09-2008 03:46 PM

I agree with everything TJ has said. My husband & I both belong to the Davids Road gym, no complaints whatsoever.

baggydave

28-09-2008 06:34 PM

I also agree with everything that TJ says - what a man (or woman, not quite sure).

But excuse my ignorance - isn't the free market about supply and demand, rather that us asking on a web site as if it is a magic wish, don't business people suss out the local demand and then invest accordingly?

But to show that BD is also about the good things in life (as the Yellow pages) and not just having cheap shops at his chums on SE23 I recall there was a women's gym in a church on the left near the bottom of Kirkdale, and similarly in Sydenham another ladies only: http://www.gymophobics.co.uk/

As we are all getting fat no doubt the market will respond and supply more facilities in future, unless the credit cruch ends up with us all becoming emaciated.

wayfarer

29-09-2008 07:07 AM

Having been a regular member (but not necessarily a regular attendee) of Dave's gym for a few years, I have recently gone to the dark side that is LA Fitness (Sydenham).

The only good thing about Dave's gym was Dave, who is one of life's good guys but his membership fee is the same as LA Fitness and unfortunately when this is the case, there is no contest.

The fact that I can no longer walk to the gym is a bit of a pain, but I just go there straight after work and so far so good.

Last I heard Dave was looking to sell the top floor, and have it converted into flats, with the downstairs becoming more "female friendly" and less "muscle". But given the current climate this is on hold.

brian

29-09-2008 11:40 AM

Baggy Dave
Not happy with idea of ladies only Gym. Surely this is discrimatary against gentlefolk.

If we ever get our new pool open I sincerley hope they do not have ladies only sessions.

Snazy

29-09-2008 12:14 PM

I trained at Total for years, Dave is indeed a top bloke, as was Fletcher who was there with him for ages too.
Was very much a more serious persons gym when I trained there, but people "keeping fit" were not made to feel the odd ones out.

Im now however a member of The Bridge in Sydenham, as I get use of the pool, classes, and lots of cardio equipment for ?32 a month, which is a bargain as far as im concerned.

gingernuts

29-09-2008 12:21 PM

I heard that LA Fitness in Sydenham had a lot of incidents where lockers were being broken into. I have to say that put me off joining.

Applespider

29-09-2008 01:59 PM

Haven't heard that but on the few occasions I've been, I've gone in gym gear and showered when I got home. They have got small lockers next to reception which I'd be surprised if someone broke into. Perhaps there was a problem with the lockers in the changing rooms which I would guess have less supervision.

Then again, I've seen posters warning of locker break-ins at virtually every major gym I've used. I guess it's an obvious target since there's a good chance of there being a wallet/purse, phone, jewellery inside and at less busy times, a fair chance of getting a reasonable amount of time in a changing room to break into what are usually fairly flimsy padlocks.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields