SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (17): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next > Last »
London Bridge trains - here's the best and the worst peak services
Sherwood

06-01-2015 09:12 PM

The ITV news tonight reported passenger congestion and train cancellations at London Bridge. Perhaps passengers diverted to the Overground.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
squashst

06-01-2015 09:19 PM

Same happened yesterday evening about 7pm. The reduced amounts of railtracks into London Bridge (reduced from 6 to 3) will make this a frequent occurrence I fear. I'd lay a little bet that they may have to further reduce trains that go in/out of London Bridge.

Sherwood

07-01-2015 10:26 AM

Going into town one evening I found that the platform with the hoarding was so full of passengers waiting to get on that we took ages to get off and clear the platform. This may well delay the departure of trains.

SteveG85

07-01-2015 10:36 AM

Long delays on the Southern service in to London Bridge again this morning. That's now 5 out of 5 journeys to and from work this week...

As well as the obvious annoyance at spending substantial amounts of time waiting for trains, I'm pretty frustrated at the 'delay repay' policy which requires trains to be more than 30 minutes late before I am able to claim compensation. Whilst this may be sensible for longer journeys, the short journey time we have from Forest Hill means the train can take more than double the time it should do (50mins rather than advertised 24mins) and still be ineligible for compensation.

I might be being cynical, but I wonder whether the order in which trains are awarded a platform at London Bridge is at least partly driven by limiting compensation due to passengers. This would explain why the 08:21 seems to be held outside London Bridge until it is around 25 minutes late, at which point a platform is generally found.

I plan to be much more proactive this year in claiming compensation from Southern in the (vain) hope that an increase in compensation claims when trains on our line are late increases the priority that they are given. Does anyone on this forum regularly claim compensation from Southern?

Sadly though, I agree with squashst's comment that the delays are a pretty much inevitable consequence of reducing the number of tracks without reducing the number of trains.

ritchy

07-01-2015 11:00 AM

I would but i always forget to check what time i arrive at forest hill and note it down which you need to know to fill it out
It just seems a pain for a couple of quid with sending it off buy post, should be simplified and made totally online.... by the time i get home Im just glad to get home...should compensate us like they did in the old days 5% of your annual ticket, which at least negated the fare rise.

They should also give us use of reasonable use of public transport with our tickets to get back home as they do sometimes do when there has been a major issue, if more than 1 train is cancelled as it would ease the congestion and reduce the chaos at London Bridge.

As for trains been cancelled / delayed due to congestion... well I have the national rail app on the front screen of my phone and whenever i check my phone, trains are constantly cancelled / delayedthrough out the day even in the very quiet periods between 10 and midnight its defintely not congested then! Always feel sorry for the poor s*ds who have there pots 11pm trains cancelled!
So not sure how they explain all those delays and cancellations.

Its a total utter mess to be honest.

Londondrz

07-01-2015 12:01 PM

The 9:12 this morning was only 3 minutes late and didn't actually stop outside LB but crawled slowly like a dying slug. I am fortunate that I am able to come and go as I please from work and I will make damn sure I get a return train before 4pm from now on.

What gets me is that they knew there would be disruptions with all this building but still seem to have been caught unaware.

The Chief Exec of Southern said on Monday that the evening crush was a one off, and then it happened again last night.

WBD

07-01-2015 01:54 PM

This morning I thought I'd take the initiative and travel from FH to Victoria, rather than through LB. I left the house 30 mins earlier than normal to catch the 7:35. A 5 min delay rolled into 10, into 15 mins ... No information whatsoever. All the while, whilst stood on platform 2, I watched several LB bound trains roll in. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. It took me over 2 hours to get to Oxford Circus.

I really am amazed, and saddened, that there is not a more vocal & coordinated campaign to seek some kind of compensation for this. I know that I too am some keyboard warrior sounding off on a forum, but with the lack of information, amount of disruption, safety issues and fare rises this is an absolute shambles.

Viva la revolution

This post was last modified: 07-01-2015 01:55 PM by WBD.

MightyMouse

07-01-2015 02:21 PM

I took the 8.21 to LB this morning - I was there for the 8.17 to H&I but of course that was late and the LB train arrived first, so I squeezed on - arriving at LB at 9am.

I hijacked a group of three "Southern advisers" in purple waistcoats to ask if this sort of delay was now going to be usual with the changes. Sorry, they didn't know, but if I walked over to the gate and asked for a Customer Experience Manager they'd radio someone to come and talk to me. I thanked them nicely but pointed out I was already late for work, what with this 12 minute journey having taken 35+.

And then I see on here it's now a 24 minute journey even as timetabled. Is this official? Where are the huge posters and tannoy announcements in the station about this? They were happy to announce repeatedly over the Christmas period about the terrible crushes that were due then (that didn't materialise) - where's the information now?

Well, it's the Overground for me until I depart FH for pastures new in a couple of months (if all goes well). Who needs seats/oxygen anyway?

michael

07-01-2015 02:25 PM

After previously saying that I intended to get an annual season ticket as usual, I feel that I should admit that I brought myself an annual travelcard this year, despite my destination being Waterloo station.

This allows me to travel via Canada Water or London Bridge. From Forest Hill this means I can jump on the first train wherever it is going and then switch to the Jubilee line wherever I want. I'm now undertaking a study to find the fastest of three possible routes in each direction and based on expected train times.

There was a nice bonus yesterday when I managed to get a seat on a five carriage train from Canada Water. But this was undermined by seeing a late running Southern Train at NXG which left before I could switch trains. I need to be better prepared for the switch next time.

I still find it difficult to justify to myself the £400 extra I paid for the ticket, I'm sure I could have found a better use for that amount of money but it is done now.

ritchy

07-01-2015 03:02 PM

Not sure whether it will help or not but a petioitn has been setup for answers....

https://www.change.org/p/we-deserve-answ...idgetrains

hasto

07-01-2015 03:29 PM

Just in case you thought travelling to Forest Hill from London Bridge couldn't get any worse, you should read this from Southern-

http://www.southernrailway.com/

This last 3 days has been utterly shambolic, its farcical and is not going to get any better for the next couple of years.....

Londondrz

07-01-2015 04:03 PM

Deep deep joy!

ritchy

07-01-2015 04:16 PM

We should get use of the overgound like we did last week in that case.. if one of thiose is cancelled or delayed its going to be a crush...

MightyMouse

07-01-2015 04:21 PM

How can they possibly claim that removing 5 trains in the evening rush hour is an improved service? Cursing

squashst

07-01-2015 04:31 PM

The Blackfriars to Crofton Park route will become become my default commute back home to HOP (though on Tuesday I took a trip on the Overground to New Cross (their West Croydon trains were also being cancelled) and then 171 / 172 to Brockley Rise - surprisingly swift. Basically its avoid London Bridge in rush hour evening if you possibly can (and I reaslise for may they cannot)

davidwhiting

07-01-2015 04:34 PM

Poor information and lack of thought about how passengers could effect their journeys in periods of disruption seem almost as much a problem as the disruption itself.

I went to Wimbledon last night, and arrived at the down platform at Forest Hill as the Crystal Palace overground service arrived. I decided to wait for the 19:36 direct to Clapham Junction which was shown as on time on the indicator. This information was changed several times until it stated a 19:44 arrival. The train did arrive at that time and came to a brief halt at Forest Hill, but unfortunately for those intending to catch it, on the fast line. I then caught the next overground to Crystal Palace and changed there after which it was an easy journey. I could have been at my destination 25-300 minutes earlier if I had know that the Victoria train was not going to stop.

I accept that, in these difficult times, there may be operational reasons for cancellling the intermediate stops for the Victoria train (incidentally almost empty). However, it isn't helpful not just to keep passengers in the dark, but to provide them with false information. Have railway managers and staff become so absorbed in computerised signaling and scheduling systems that they have forgotten that the are running a real railway with real passengers, not some virtual railway in cyberspace?

There seems to be a systematic loss of contact with reality in some big enterprises. For example, when Kings Cross was out on the 27th December, someone decided to send passengers to Finsbury Park. Anyone who has visited Finsbury Park might have been expected to know that it was unlikely to absorb the number of passengers. And given that it has been correctly worked out that the interim layout at London Bridge won't work if Southeastern trains stop there, why weren't these suspensions synchronised rather than have a few days of unmanageability?

Decker

07-01-2015 05:44 PM

Holy f***. They have cancelled for the rest of the week

16.36 London Bridge to West Croydon
17.06 London Bridge to West Croydon
17.38 London Bridge to West Croydon
18.06 London Bridge to West Croydon
18.36 London Bridge to West Croydon

"We will monitor the service for the remainder of this week and assess if any longer term changes are required."

Well of course it's going to reduce congestion! This statement scares me. We could lose all of these services for the next 3 years without any warning. Without any consultation. And just shoving the passenger load on the Overground.

What a nightmare.

If this is the case, they should remove the new Cross service. Make people catch a bus from new cross gate or walk. And give us extra overground services like they have in the past.

This post was last modified: 07-01-2015 05:50 PM by Decker.

squashst

07-01-2015 05:46 PM

I'm afraid that Southern has an additional problem tonight:
"Delays to Southern services to and from London Bridge expected until 19:00

Following signalling problems at London Bridge all lines have now re-opened. However, Southern trains to and from the station may still be delayed by up to 15 minutes while services return to normal.

This is expected to continue until approximately 19:00."

Though the definition of "normal" is what?!

Codrington Brill

07-01-2015 08:38 PM

Cancelling all those trains didnae help much. Train from LB is 15 min delayed. BUT DONT WORRY I'M SURE IT WILL IRON ITSELF OUT! See you tomorrow.

michael

07-01-2015 10:19 PM

From the Thameslink website:

Quote:
A. We are withdrawing these services as alternative routes are available for passengers who normally take those trains.

Q. What are the alternatives for passengers wanting to get to West Croydon from London Bridge?

A. Passengers for Brockley, Honor Oak Park, Forest Hill and Sydenham will have a half-hourly service.

Passengers for Penge West and Anerley can take Southern trains to New Cross Gate and change onto London Overground services.

That's an alternative is it? Wait another 15 minutes (if you are lucky). As for Penge West and Anerley passengers changing at New Cross Gate, they obviously mean Norwood Junction but are too inept to know the difference.

In the past I have used Norwood Junction to turn around and come back faster than waiting for the next train, this is preferable to waiting 30 minutes between trains and at least you get out of London Bridge.

If they were serious about providing alternative routes then they would say that tickets to West Croydon will be valid on Jubilee and Overground. But they would prefer passengers to hang around at London Bridge for double crowded trains rather than take alternative routes (which I realise would add to pressure on the short Overground trains - but I don't see stuffing twice as many people on London Bridge trains as much better).

I can't believe that after the problems in August and a chance to adjust the timetables (including cancelling a small number of services), Southern have yet again failed to run trains in and out of London Bridge according to the timetable. They really should have planned better for this situation.

It will be interesting to see if services improve when South Eastern services stop calling at London Bridge. As davidwhiting says, if this is the problem then why didn't they make the change on the 4th January, straight after the complete closure of London Bridge?

Pages (17): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  TfL considering running the Overground into London Bridge rbmartin 46 7,422 02-04-2024 09:20 PM
Last Post: rbmartin
  Petition to reinstate our lost London Bridge trains nottinghillbilly 19 7,051 26-10-2023 01:00 PM
Last Post: Ger
  TfL proposed RADICAL changes to bus services in South and Central London samuelsen 12 8,300 09-07-2022 11:36 AM
Last Post: samuelsen
  London Bridge to Victoria 'Loop Line' trains - update clausy 0 3,091 08-11-2021 08:44 PM
Last Post: clausy
  Do you want more trains an hour for SE London? A Cinderella Line 5 6,778 27-11-2016 07:18 PM
Last Post: A Cinderella Line
  Cuts to London Bridge trains SEN 4 5,973 08-11-2016 03:35 PM
Last Post: Poppy9560
  London Bridge service changes SEN 3 6,089 08-09-2016 08:55 PM
Last Post: rbmartin
  London Bridge to Charing Cross - How do you do it? eastofthetrack 7 10,120 19-08-2015 02:05 PM
Last Post: eastofthetrack
  Southern trains into London Bridge mrwandle 85 82,102 05-12-2014 05:50 PM
Last Post: Tinkerbell
  London Bridge shut over Easter squashst 1 4,746 16-04-2014 12:01 PM
Last Post: michael
  London Bridge Irregularities this Friday 28th March michael 2 6,251 28-03-2014 09:44 AM
  24 dates without southern trains to London Bridge next year mrwandle 13 15,867 14-09-2013 01:43 PM
Last Post: Mr_Numbers
  Southern services from London Bridge Jon Lloyd 13 15,075 07-12-2010 10:18 AM
Last Post: showtunesgirl
  Lost - between London Bridge and Fairlawn school tttttttttttttt 2 6,788 18-11-2010 10:28 AM
Last Post: tttttttttttttt
  What's going on with the 5:27am Southern Service Forest Hill to London Bridge? ukulele_lady 0 4,350 10-08-2010 07:49 AM
Last Post: ukulele_lady
  Who will use ELL and who will stick to London Bridge services? Jon Lloyd 12 14,428 27-10-2009 11:08 AM
Last Post: Mattfh
  What Platform at London Bridge loca 6 10,331 07-01-2008 02:03 PM
Last Post: shzl400
  Direct services from FH to London Victoria roz 17 20,412 22-12-2007 08:29 PM
  8:24 to London Bridge from HOP Jon Lloyd 21 26,321 23-11-2007 07:09 PM
Last Post: Londondrz