SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »
Children in cafes
jenros

13-12-2014 01:18 PM

Could not believe what I was seeing this morning. A toddler being allowed to run around in a cafe when there are staff walking around carrying hot food and drinks for other customers. An accident waiting to happen!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
milliemop

13-12-2014 03:20 PM

Something you see far too often, unfortunately Mad

Londondrz

13-12-2014 06:03 PM

Not worth moaning about the kids, moan at the adults when you are there. My kids have been taught to have a good time but not at the expense of others. Not running around and yelling are principles they understand.

nottinghillbilly

13-12-2014 11:52 PM

Yes, Its a regular occurrence.
And I agree..Its the Parents who need control their children.
Its not the poor childs fault.

Londondrz

14-12-2014 09:12 AM

And don't get me started on buggies in coffee shops. As a dad I managed to get two small kids into a coffee shop, fold the buggy, put it out of the way and then enjoy a coffee.

Other parents feel it's OK just to abandon their personal leviathon anywhere and crack on with a coffee whilst kiddo runs riot.

Think people, think.

This post was last modified: 14-12-2014 09:13 AM by Londondrz.

Decker

15-12-2014 10:45 AM

Those popular fashion buggies don't really fold sideways though, that's the problem. Hence why people usually sell them pretty quickly!

Anyway, are we really complaining about this? This is just standard for any cafe anywhere. FH is pretty tame when it comes to kids/prams.

Londondrz

15-12-2014 01:18 PM

I don't think FH is unusual with buggies/kids. It seems fairly wide spread. Ignorance knows few geographic boundaries.

crassbelch
Banned Troll

15-12-2014 01:20 PM

[Post removed due to abuse -admin]

AGB1956

15-12-2014 07:44 PM

Another buggy hater here.

The other day I was in a local shop - won't name names - and some Trendy Daddy manoeuvred what I can only describe as a 3/4 scale SUV through the small shop door, and promptly left it in the middle of what little floor space the shop had. The customers who were already in the shop had to virtually climb on the shelving units to get past the tractor-wheeled monstrosity, and one person who wanted to get into the shop gave up and patiently waited outside until said Trendy Daddy finished making his derisory purchase and reversed out.

I know that it's difficult if you have young kids - you can't leave them outside a shop unattended nowadays - but surely you should have a bit of consideration for other shoppers as well?

This post was last modified: 15-12-2014 07:45 PM by AGB1956.

OakR

15-12-2014 09:09 PM

The thing I find most annoying when going into cafes are those people who sit down, sip one coffee for an hour at a table for 4 people, lay there paper out all over the place with an air of owning the place. They give people who have the audacity to have children an air of disgust as they walk in to the place.

Perhaps coffee shops could offer a late night session for those that want to use it as a library, and then be families-only the rest of the day.

Prissy locals without children would kick up a fuss about their rights etc, but what about our right to a family Sunday afternoon?

Smile

In all seriousness for those who object to children in cafes etc, I can only see it getting worse. More and more families appear to be moving in, and actually the fact you can take your children to lots of places for lunch etc is seen a bonus and a great thing about the area (for those with young children).

If you want children free cafes, perhaps jump on the overground and head over to Shoreditch or somewhere less family orientated.

I agree with the above posters that children should not be running amok - the pram in shops thing is hard though if it's the only one you have not much you can do, though leaving it as above is clearly not ideal. [/align]

lacb

16-12-2014 10:05 AM

Well said OakR. There are still plenty of places around London that are not child friendly. I have always appreciated the less (age) discrimatory vibe locally, both before and after having kids of my own.

Yes more consideration would be good but that starts with number one. It is worth remembering, we were all young once!

sydenhamcentral

16-12-2014 11:44 AM

How inconsiderate that these terrible people who choose to breed to inflict their children upon the good people of Vulgaria. These little monsters should all be rounded up and thrown in the dungeon. They should be left outside of shops just like dogs. Then they will not be seen so the good people can enjoy a coffee or tea without having to hear little peoples unintelligible banter. They don't even clean up after themselves and often don't eat food bought in the cafe. What's wrong with a full English Breakfast for a baby, it's good hearty food? Never did me no harm.

They don't pay tax or national insurance and they use up far too much space for their size. And what have they contributed to society? Schools cost a fortune in tax too and I can't even send them up my chimney any more, I have to pay for more to a chimney sweep. And the state use my hard earned taxes to pay people to make them. It's a scandal.

Send in the child catcher.

Londondrz

16-12-2014 11:55 AM

Easy Sydenhamcentral, your table thumping had my coffee cup ratting in it's saucer and woke the baby in it's Bugaboo Rofl

sydenhamcentral

16-12-2014 12:14 PM

Ice cream, cherry pie, treacle tart…and all free today…come to me my little mice...

Hamilly

16-12-2014 12:41 PM

Everyone has got to learn sometime...it might help the parents who do try to teach their children how to behave, to have good role models in such circumstances.

Sure I appreciate, and indeed have experienced, parents taking advantage and using premises as pseudo-crèches, but we are not all like that.

There is only so much theory you can teach. Practice has to be allowed to to enable development.

nottinghillbilly

16-12-2014 08:46 PM

I do agree that almost as annoying as shrieking toddlers and buggies left to block small cafes are the people who sit with one cup of coffee, laptop and papers on table, bag and coat on chairs, sitting at a large table made for sharing who scowl at me when I ask if they can budge up a bit in order for me to sit and enjoy the coffee AND food that I've just ordered and plan to eat and then leave within half an hour.
I just think its bloody cheeky using someone else's business as ones 'office'.

This post was last modified: 16-12-2014 08:47 PM by nottinghillbilly.

Rayray

17-12-2014 07:49 AM

AGB1956 - was it Hills and Parkes over the weekend?

I wheeled our monstrosity in and bought some bread and pastries (not the derisory sort) and a coffee. There was a kindly man who helped clear the path for the tractor like wheels. He then sneaked out for a cigarette and helped close the doors behind me. I had a hat on (warm but not trendy sort). A lady came in and successfully manoevered herself round my pretentious sharabang. The cafe felt a bit inadequate to cope with all three of us, but I smiled a polite apology and set off home to devour my tasty morsels.

I didn't think my 3 minutes intrusion had offended anyone, or prevented any trade. But to be honest, I was concerned mainly with keeping my baby asleep and the hummer-pram out of everyone's way.

So, if it was me, my sincere apologies. If not, it could quite easily be someone like me who was genuinely trying to go about their lives while caring for their baby in a way that doesn't inconvenience others. It's just, some of the shops around here are small, and the prams a bit big. However, with a little bit of consideration from all sides I think we will all just about manage.

CatfordBorders

17-12-2014 11:55 AM

From what I hear from friends there is at least one cafe in FH that can be quite unwelcoming and unhelpful to families with small children. As a result of this and the quite off-putting sign regarding children that I once saw on its door I have avoided it, whether with my (well behaved) children or without.

Surely all those that don't want to be bothered by the next generation could go there? Some parents can be selfish with their giant buggies and willful toddlers, but plenty of people of selfish - it is not exclusive to parents. Live and let live!

AGB1956

17-12-2014 02:36 PM

Rayray: nope - it wasn't Hills & Parkes - so you're (sort of) off the hook from me.

Like I said in my original post, I can appreciate that it's difficult if you have a youngster asleep in a buggy and you need to go shopping.

But I still maintain there has to be a bit of give and take, especially when the total floorspace in the shop(s) in question is only marginally bigger than the footprint of the buggy that you're driving.

An apology to the other customers in the shop for any inconvenience caused surely is the minimum that anyone would expect. The Trendy Daddy in the shop in my instance seemed to think that he (and his buggy) was the only customer of importance...

jaradras

17-12-2014 04:10 PM

Live and let live means I do my thing, you do yours and lets not fall out.

Truth be told, it is the "live and let live" attitude that has got us into this mess. We have done it with our politics, traditions and culture, language, religion etc. We have become a "let and live" society i.e. more liberal in the last twenty to thirty years with less interference in peoples personal choices. However, I think it has gone from less interference in personal choices to "less interference in my personal behaviour " i.e. I will behave in any which way I want to. This has meant that a proportion of the population do what they want and do not want to be told that what they are doing is inconsiderate or wrong.

I think we also have become more selfish. We want to continue with our life style and want others to adapt to our change as a result of having children. It is all about ME ME ME ! what about the rights of others ?

You want more of live and let live, I personally think not.

Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields