SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Bread makers
bigbadwolf

14-08-2008 02:25 PM

[Moved from 'SE23 Topics: Fresh Bread Shops']

I'm afraid I don't know of any other shops selling bread apart from those mentioned above but I do have an alternative. You may want to try a bread maker. The device can only produce one loaf at a time so you wont be denying any local businesses of vital trade but you can make several different types as well as white or brown loafs with the promise of it being 100% fresh! The device in the link produces excellent results and several people I know also use it with much enthusiasm and praise. Good luck.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BEAM-First-Order...m_dbs_kh_3

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BarCar

14-08-2008 02:52 PM

Or use this recipe for "No Knead Bread"... http://aresrocket.com/bread/

Cookery sub-forum?

Andy

15-08-2008 11:06 AM

Fully endorse the bread maker idea. The beauty of them is that you can set it on a timer the night before and have nice warm bread and a lovely smell in the house in the morning

jon14

15-08-2008 12:02 PM

Bread makers can definitely be a good idea. But you have to be dedicated to it!

We got a breadmaker once and I used the bread for sandwiches at work - my boss confidently predicted that:

• I'd have about a fortnight of nice bread from the new bread maker, followed by
  • a fortnight of bread with loads of disgusting seeds and flavours in it, followed by
  • 48 weeks of Hovis

Right on all counts!

brian

15-08-2008 12:23 PM

Bread makers probably a good idea for a family but as bread does not last long not ideal for single households.

bigbadwolf

15-08-2008 12:44 PM

When thinking about it John14 and Brian have made two very good points about breadmakers:
1. The result can be unpredictable at novice level so it would also be a good idea to get a breadmaker baking book that are often available through the seller of the breadmaker but Amazon sell them as well.
2. The loaves you get from the breadmaker are alot bigger than something you'd expect from a Baker/supermarket so in a single household you may be stuck with the same loaf for up to 3 or 4 days but that also depends on your appeteite.

Elizabeth25

15-08-2008 04:26 PM

If you put the bread in the fridge it lasts a bit longer. Or you could freeze half the bread and eat the other half. If you were a single person.

Liz, always here to help.

jon14

15-08-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:
If you put the bread in the fridge it lasts a bit longer. Or you could freeze half the bread and eat the other half. If you were a single person.

Liz, always here to help.

Or, Liz - turning into Baggy Dave...!

Cellar Door

15-08-2008 04:39 PM

Elizabeth25 wrote:

Thanks Liz. That sounds like a lot of work though. May I suggest that all-in-all it's probably easier not being single?

Applespider

16-08-2008 11:03 AM

Surely not - at least single, you can choose the bread you want and happily eat your way through it.

In couple/familydom, you can end up with 'discussions' over whether you're buying white bread or brown, baguette or sliced and woe betide who comes back from the supermarket with the wrong one! Rolleyes

Put the bread in the freezer here on day number 3 and then eat it toasted when I need some.

fany9560

19-08-2008 05:31 PM

I find it easier being single - no arguments in supermarkets over what to have for supperCool no fights over who hogs the duvet etc etc - only downside is it is MUCH more expensive - single room supplements, paying all the household bills myself etc

PVP

20-08-2008 10:39 AM

I occassionally make some bread and just freeze what I don't need. A quick ping in the microwave, hey presto.

Definitely worthwhile!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields